WTB: My first machine gun preferably FN FNC

TheOtherOfficer

Hello, I’m interested in getting my first machine gun and I am currently considering getting an FN FNC if I can find one at a decent price that I can afford and justify buying with the wife. I love guns and have always wanted to own a legal machine gun and I think it’s about time to make that dream come true. 

Just my opinion, but i would pass on the fnc. Good guns, but parts are scarce. First gun in 556 hands down a m16. Parts are extremely cheap and you can put any length upper on it you want because its a machinegun. You can also litterally shoot it non stop 24/7. When one upper gets hot simply change it out in a few seconds. Lots of drums available. Also get a shrike upper and now you have a beltfed.  

Kirk, I would love a select fire m16 but from what I have seen in the short period I have been looking is that the going rates for them are almost 10k more than the cost of what an FN FNC is going for which I can’t afford sadly unless I’m mistaken. Thank you for the advice I do appreciate it and I welcome anymore that you may have for me.

Edited by TheOtherOfficer
To make better sense

I bought my 1st. Class III firearm/investment from Dennis A Todd in 1998, a new in the box Colt M16 A2 burst rifle for the mear sum of $ 5800.00 transferred to my C III dealer. My 2nd Class III firearm/investment was a mint condition FN FNC Paratrooper with folding stock from Basil St. Clair, C-III dealer & legal editor for Machinegun News aka Small Arms review. The FNC was a major score for me @ $2400.00 as Mr. St, Clair was going thru some difficult times himself & needed $$ so he chose to move some equipment. What has been said about parts for the FNC are scarce is sadly very true but there are a few new or like new guns out there.  Prices today on Pre-1986 transferable machine guns has sky rocketed simply because supply & demand has got a lot stronger in recent years. Some recent price sightings for the FNC; $14,000.00 

I sent you a message to your DM box for you to read. 

• Like 1

I have seen converted transferable ar15s listed for 15,000.00. My advice would be to sell something or save a bit more for the m16. You will be MUCH happier than with the fnc. 5 or 6 full mag dumps with the fnc and its too hot to keep shooting without risking damaging hard to get parts. Not only that, but every time you shoot it, its going to be in the back of your head that you have to take it easy as parts are non existant. To me they are artificially overpriced. 

Reminds me of the 2 ac556 (basically ruger mini 14s converted to full ) that i owned. Worked good, but overheated very fast and good mags are hard and exspensive to get. Id run 4 or 5 mags through them and then had to leave them sit until they cooled. Extremely glad i got rid of them. Parts are scarce on them also. 

I bought 2 m16s and have quite a few post samples also. We shoot them all day non stop.  With a 16 who cares. Parts wear out, just replace them. Ive got a 16 that ive put over 20 thousand rds through it, and who knows how many before me. Ive got 6 different uppers for my 16s. Only thing i ever broke was a charging handle and one extractor which i blame on a cheaper bolt i bought.  

When people ask me what first gun they should get i always tell them a m16. Cheap and available parts, super easy to maintain and can run all day long. What other machinegun can you say the same thing about? 

Thank you Rooster2412 and Kirk for all the information I really do appreciate it. I think I will follow your advice and try to save up my money longer so I can get an m16 especially if I can get one around 15k or so. The hard part will be trying to convince my wife that I need a 15k or so machine gun. I do have one question right now which is if you own a transferable m16 is their any restriction on the uppers you can use on it specifically the barrel length? 

Thats the beauty of a machinegun. All other rules dont apply. You can put as short a barrel as you want on it or any stock length you want. I have a 6 inch barreled upper with a tiny collapsable stock. Alot of firepower in a tiny package. 

You want to convince your wife, simply look up and print out for her starting in 1985 how much per yr m16s have gone up. In my opinion m16s are actually underpriced. They are the most versatile machinegun out there. What other gun has such cheap parts availability and ease of maintnance. 

If you look around im sure you can find a dealer who will take your 8000.00 as half down on a m16 and let you make payments until the transfer is approved. 

You might be able to find a Essential Arms, SGW, registered receiver and build it up but I think those are all spoken for now. Another option might be a registered drop in auto sear. I had one and ran the piss out of it and it never gave me any problems and the trips are repair parts, seen them advertised here somewhere recently. Keep looking and do your research on Google. I noticed there were a few advertised on Gunbroker too.  Another way to convince your wife is let's say my Colt A2 is worth $25K. The difference from what I paid for it 22 years ago is $ 19,200.00 That's a better return than investing your $ in a CD at the bank.

My father kept telling me to put the money in a CD at the bank and watch it grow. I kept thinking about the measly $ 325.00 a year return and said naw...He passed in 2004. I wish he lived to see the net worth of my machine gun investment. 

Edited by Rooster2412
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i hate to break it to you but you wont find ANY ar15/M16 for $15,000 I'm thinking....and for those that say o/w...shoot me a PM offering your AR15 for that price and we'll prob cut a quick deal. very quick. I expect crickets here.

I bet you'd be lucky to find one at $17,000.

That makes a decent case for a $13,500 FNC in my mind if money is tight.

My 2 cents. Happy hunting.

I ran into the same issue when I purchased my first MG.  I bought an Uzi 6 years ago...  I told my wife it was an investment "we" could shoot.  What a deal!!!  I showed her what Uzi's are going for today, I reminded her what we paid and that we have doubled our investment.   I am looking for my first Belt Fed, It helped with the conversation.  Good Luck!