refunds for transfers not approved

mike todd

starting in 2011, I went on a buying spree for NFA and bought several from individuals and the major auction houses. some were C+R's and attempted as such, others unknown and many modern. needless to say I had problems with several. I don't have my records here so the dates will be close but not exact. I had C+R's denied and one they claimed a duplicate serial number existed. as a result multiple applications were filed for several transfers. it was stated that refunds would be automatic and all attempts to find out who to contact about them have failed. the duplicate serial no weapon required 4 applications total. most of the denied C+R's required 2 applications but one has 3 and now they want another and is more than 29 months old. in this mess from DICK WRAY I bought a amnesty rgt'd BELGIUM ARMY FALO C+R and the original registrant put "small rifle" as the type because it was not a tripod mounted gun. he did 2 others and entered "heavy" for them. all 3 were in DICKS inventory so it was easy to confirm. ATF denied the transfer completely stating it was not a "machine gun". a total of 5 appeals were made, each one requiring a new application and an additional stamp and the last one was approved.   bottom line the ATF owes me a refund for 14 denied applications a total of $2800.00 anyone out there have an idea where I might start? the only answer I get at ATF is "they are automatic and not handled by us"   . when I leave a message for a supervisor no one ever calls back

Last year when my friend found out Efile form 1s where only taking 20-40 days sometimes even less he form 1’ed a bunch of cans and he had some get kicked back for random reasons and they mail him checks back automatically for the ones that went approved.

I hope I don’t run in to any problem like you did. on one gun I bought I called the atf right after I sent the form to make sure they got it (7 months ago) and they said they didn’t have the serial number in the system I haven’t called back since dealer said just wait it out. 

THUMP, the number not being in the system is nothing to worry about too much because it wont be entered until it is actually on an examiners desk. when we mail them in, the funds are deposited, the forms forwarded to VA for supervisor review. if they pass, the number is then entered and it hits the pile to wait for all the FBI ok's. I was told once the FBI gives its nod, then the examiner starts the trace in the system to see the forms comply with the originals. if they were mailed  7 months ago, the number might be in the system now and a good idea to check.  good luck!