new electronic assisted form 4's YOU BETCHA !

mike todd

I have never been very versed on all the proper terms for all this paper work and the various FFL's but my local dealer called it an electronic information submission. less than 2 months ago, I filled out 5 of the new form 4's with the space for your SSN. the dealer took "electronic" fingerprints and sent all the information via the net as the hard copies were mailed. other than all the tedious multiple finger print cards he explained it just gets a jump on the FBI CLEARANCE which many claim is the major hang up ? they ALL came back approved TODAY! HOORAH! I still have previous forms on the old forms pending some more than 2 yrs old! all from the same dealer , so its not the examiner (sigh) . I also got notice a 7 month C+R transfer cleared today so soon lots of new toys to dismantle and fondle.  what ever its called ,its danged obvious the system works! 

MUGSY, IT is not a complete form 4.  it is a "shared data" with the original paper form 4. the finger prints are processed electronically . the way I understand it all the info the ATF needs from the FBI , is also transmitted electronically  direct to the FBI instead of waiting until the file is opened by the examiner and the request sent, waiting for the response and retrieved etc . the paper trail as it was means the forms wont hit VA for at 3- 4 weeks after it first landed in OREGON.  because no human is involved the info is retrieved as fast as it can open. ATF has the ok and all that's left is confirmation the new forms comply with the registry. even if you don't use this, the new forms with the SSN will skip the entire process IF you have had an approval in the last 24 months but the electronic method should be much faster. after filling out the forms, the hardest part was getting to the shop and doing the electronic prints. they must be done in house, but just once. the dealer can keep them on file for any future needs  my dealer said EVERYTHING is available for down load at the ATF site.  keep in mind, the paper forms are still used and mailed. not sure if its normal to OREGON or direct to VA.

UPDATE, the following day, another one cleared that used the electronic data transfer. that makes 7 approved since the end of FEB !  SEVERAL board members have contacted me since this thread was started and think I am talking about the standard E-FILE that SOT's and some dealers use. that is not the case this is for individual "non dealers" to transfer using form-4. it requires the mailing of the hard copy form 4 just as we have done in the past using the new form only with the SSN in its proper place. if you have a approved transfer in the past 24 months you can send a copy of that in the package and make it even faster!

Mike,

I hope what you are saying will result in quicker form 4 approvals but your fast turnaround times on non-SOT form 4s may have just been an outlier.  I too, have had form 4s approved in under 60 days but some have taken over 13 months.  Most approvals are somewhere in between.

Nevertheless, thank you for the information.   

FRANK, thanx for the info. I try to keep these things on record as they happen in order to answer questions. in the middle of all this, I just found out the C+R Grease gun I mailed in the middle of August 2019 was just approved this Tuesday. that's danged close to the same as your 8 months. I don't have my records where I'm at so don't know the exact day it was mailed. I can live with 8 months, but I miss the old days . if you sent a copy of a prior approval with the new application 45 days was on the long end. they keep claiming its the FBI checks but its more than that. 

I had a friend in FL recently get I think 5 or 6 approvals ranging from last may to the most recent March we just had all approved same day.

still waiting on 3 stamps currently at 5-7 months as of now haven’t called to check on them but figured since they were not approved fast it will be 8-10 months or beyond

I’ve also talked to 2 dealers in my state about this new form of transfer your talking about and they have no idea what I’m talking about witch sucks...

I’d like faster approvals I know people my age who are getting married and having kids born starting complete family’s faster then I can get my tax stamps back on some guns lol.

THUMP,  as soon as I can sit down with my dealer, I will get ALL the info needed to inform other dealers of the procedure. and yes I also have several old transfers pending.  sadly its most likely I hold the record at close to 33 months. that is another one that I plan to resubmit using the new form and electronic data. it is only $47k sitting more than 2 1/2 yrs in another persons safe! and I want to wear it out NOW.

YES ! I was surprised to see any approvals processed. but when you think about it, they must be doing them out of boredom. they don't have anything else to talk about. no recent outings, cookouts etc. all the important stuff that prevents actual duty.

• 2 weeks later...

after several off and on attempts to get the straight answer on this electronic form -4 issue, I got the scoop from my dealer. they forward a copy of the forms to the SILENCER SHOPS electronic data transfer system. they keep the prints on file and use and have the forms signed via the net. the explanation still left me a bit confused , but it certainly works.

7 hours ago, mike todd said:

after several off and on attempts to get the straight answer on this electronic form -4 issue, I got the scoop from my dealer. they forward a copy of the forms to the SILENCER SHOPS electronic data transfer system. they keep the prints on file and use and have the forms signed via the net. the explanation still left me a bit confused , but it certainly works.

congratulations on setting yourself up for identity theft.  They keep all your personal info, print out the forms and mail them in......just like the rest of us, but do it for free.....sort of, to harvest your personal data.  They are sort of the facebook of the nfa world, except facebook doesn't have your fingerprints.....yet. 

I've spoken to a couple people that use this system/ kiosk and when I pointed out what they had done they got a scared look on their faces?  Call me paranoid, but I'm still not comforatable even sending this stuff to NFA branch directly after all these years?  My Mcdonalds gift card is more secure than most .gov databases. LOL

RYO, THANK THE LORD FOR THAT!  I still have one "pending" more than 30 month's and the only reply is " its still under review" ? since 2013 more than 35 transfers and several took more than 18 months. I concede a lot of the hold up was due to items being at the end of transferable production for the company and deceased license holder's, many were first time transfer's of amnesty weapons and wording on the forms. everything after 2017 was reasonable and when this last hold out is done I believe the system will perform "reasonable" but I don't see the return of 2 week form 4's ever again. the next big change has yet to occur , but inevitable and that will be actual pics of the weapon required on the form. this has been mentioned many times over the years. also due to the old regs concerning "pre samples" I predict that will end and a "grace period" allowed to enter them in the registry as transferables. they just have NO IDEA where a major portion are. my crooked brother has abandoned more than 20 to storage units under 2 SOT's and never had to answer for them. I also know of several others with the same fate. of course that will happen only if the right to possess remains but I wont live to see it.