MikeLitoris

Anybody reloading .55 Boys?

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I'm currently looking at a Boys Anti Tank rifle in the original .55 caliber but one thing is holding me back, I want to be able to shoot this thing! I see original ammo is going for around 30 bucks a round which is just too much for how often I would like to be able to fire it. I've been doing some research and found that .50 BMG brass can be fire formed to .55 case dimensions and that the belt around the rim isn't really necessary. I see CH4D sells reloading dies for .55 boys but I have no idea where to get projectiles. Is there anyone out there who reloads for their .55 Boys rifle? If so I would be very interested in hearing how you do it!

Thanks! -Mike

Why dont you get it converted to 50bmg? Friend of mine wanted a boys, but like you ammo was prohibitive. He found one converted, and best of all, no special paperwork. There was 2 of the converted guns that just sold on gunbroker. I think the went for about 4 grand. 

Yeah I'm eyeballing another one that's been converted to .50BMG right now but I feel owning one in the original .55 caliber is more correct and collectible. I don't mind jumping through the NFA hoops or investing in reloading equipment but if I'm not going to be able to easily source projectiles it might not be worth the effort. From what I've read there isn't a very big difference between shooting the two calibers.

I really dont think the 50 conversion hurts value, i actually think it raises the value.. Ammo is easily and cheaply available, and if you need to sell quickly no waiting for paperwork. That being said, if there was plenty of cheap 55 boys ammo around, then yes original is better. There is a very super small market for guns where ammo is extremely hard or exspensive to get. I will tell you this, i have shot alot of 50s, and the boys kicks the worse.  

If your sole purpose is to shoot one , .50 brng is the way to go but consider at one time it was no harm or loss to convert a BOYES to .50 US. that was b-4 all the "other" non NFA .50 firearms hit the street. after that it became a loosing proposition. the last 2 examples I sold was a travesty less than $3k?  the last 2 original examples I watched at auction were just under $7k.

I only accept postal money orders. contact me DIRECTLY before sending any funds                                           email  myoldiron@outlook.com