Don't shoot a hole in the boat!

19 minutes ago, Born loser...in Montana said:

Since we are all in the same  boat of

Social Distancing ... get  out of the house and shoot  something , ofcourse follow all safety measures  -Shoot targets at a save distance.  

Keep  America  Safe... keep shooting!

I'd do just that, but, I forgot to replenish my favorite blaster ammo before the rush. :|

On the plus side, the gophers are out, and I got to pop a few of 'em a few days back. :D

Stay safe, Brother.

-Kristopher

Ah, a Montana thread, with gophers. I left the state years ago and occasionally have to explain the love-hate affair Montanans have with the critters, Folk in Michigan eat squirrels and tend to think is a sin not to eat gophers, especially when I say that one hunt can result in +100 expired gophers..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Born loser...in Montana said:

You might want to hole up for a day or so,  looks like  snow blowing in.

Snow? In Montana? Surely, you jest, good sir. :D

The snow started early here: September, October, and November were pretty lousy. December and January, not too bad. February and March have been “bi-polar”, so to speak. 

Looking forward to some April showers.

-Kristopher

10 hours ago, HHollow said:

Ah, a Montana thread, with gophers. I left the state years ago and occasionally have to explain the love-hate affair Montanans have with the critters, Folk in Michigan eat squirrels and tend to think is a sin not to eat gophers, especially when I say that one hunt can result in +100 expired gophers..

I haven’t been hungry enough to eat one of those little bastards, yet...

Good Lord willing, I won’t ever have to, either. 

-Kristopher

13 hours ago, HHollow said:

All true Montanans Hate,  Not love the gophers. Started way back before we were a State,  when riding your  horse along the high plains and it stumbles in a gopher hole, then you have to shoot it because it broke it's leg. Tends to piss a cowboy off, something you don't want to do. So, everything has been tryed to eliminate these nasty little bastards,  flooding them, burning them, even explosives ( leaves a bigger hole), Shooting,  and poisoning.  We were finally making some progress with  the poison, however that was creating unwanted side effects. Dam EPA.

I've eaten Mountain goat, Mountain lion, deer whitetail & mule, elk,moose, bison,bear, antelope, wolf, geese, ducks,  grouse, pheasant, turkeys, sandhill crane, Jackrabbits... but never gophers! I think even the Indians won't eat them.

Someone told me once the gophers carry the Bubonic Plague. 

Edited by Born loser...in Montana
Forgot one
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Born loser...in Montana said:

All true Montanans Hate,  Not love the gophers. /..... 

To clarify.  Montanans hate gophers and love to shoot them.  Thus the love-hate relationship.  I have had more than one rancher offer lunch and ammo if I stopped by for the afternoon.

And I believe there are absolutely no restrictions against any kind of weapon or DD against varmints like gophers, coyotes, etc,  Bring out the belt fed.

Edited by HHollow

2 hours ago, HHollow said:

And I believe there are absolutely no restrictions against any kind of weapon or DD against varmints like gophers, coyotes, etc,  Bring out the belt fed.

As fun as that would be, I love shooting the little f#&% with my CZ 527 American in .22 Hornet. I love that damn gun, just wish the ammo was a little cheaper. :D

-Kristopher

2 hours ago, HHollow said:

To clarify.  Montanans hate gophers and love to shoot them.  Thus the love-hate relationship.  I have had more than one rancher offer lunch and ammo if I stopped by for the afternoon.

Yes Sir,

it's great fun ! and satisfying when getting hits from afar...sharpens the shootn skills when goin after something to eat.

Since there isn't much left to eat after shootn prairie dogs. 

Looks like you darn cowboys have all the fun! The only thing we have in Florida like them is Armadillos. We shoot em and leave them for the buzzards.

You don't touch them cause they're known to carry Leprosy. I use a suppressed 10/22 with thermal. Best night I got six.  BPinFL

13 hours ago, BPinFL said:

Looks like you darn cowboys have all the fun! The only thing we have in Florida like them is Armadillos. We shoot em and leave them for the buzzards.

You don't touch them cause they're known to carry Leprosy. I use a suppressed 10/22 with thermal. Best night I got six.  BPinFL

Armadillos ! in Florida... Wow ya learn something eveyday. Mostly think of Florida as alligators,  lethal snakes of many varieties  and things that crawl/fly and bite and don't bother going in the ocean the fish in there  can  eat you. 

Do have you all have those big rats they have in New Orleans ...(nutrias) ?

Guess you can eat'm and make fur coats out of them too. 

Edited by Born loser...in Montana

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 11:59 AM, Born loser...in Montana said:

So, everything has been tryed to eliminate these nasty little bastards,  flooding them, burning them, even explosives ( leaves a bigger hole), Shooting,  and poisoning.  We were finally making some progress with  the poison, however that was creating unwanted side effects. Dam EPA.

A formula for a nice... well say “smoke mix” ( for legal reasons) don’t breath this shit in is 

45% potassium nitrate

45% sulfur 

8% carbon 

2% dextrin 

... idk what the epa would have to say about this ... but works like a charm allegedly... just make sure you don’t breath it in...

• 2 weeks later...

A snowy/rainy day here in North Central Montana.

The Old Man and I ventured out to look for some gophers to shoot.

Shot at several gophers, nailed at least a couple with my Ruger Mark II.

All in all, a good day to practice social distancing by hunting varmints.

In Liberty,

KristopherH

We're actually not all in the boat.  I'm not distancing any more than I did before.  Didn't distance on Monday from the surgeon who was laid off while working on his house.  Just finished up a 9 hour day at work today.  No free cheese here, we just work for the money, though I will say the break from traffic is awesome, but saddening at the same time.  The wife went protesting today with 1500+ others, a scant few of the vulnerable wore masks the rest just mingled.  Social distancing will not outrun a virus.... ever.   It will however extend the time the majority build up an immunity, which is what fortunately, always occurs.

It would be awesome to get out shooting soon, but I don't see much time off and all the local ranges are closed, even the private clubs who can remain open, but chose not to?  Good to hear someone is having time off and fun!

As an introvert, I am somewhat of a natural at social distancing. Been doing it my whole life. Never did like being in crowds much, sets off too many stimuli. In a crowd, I'm always looking for gaps so I can get the hell outta there. :D 

Hope this shit blows over soon before our economy totally collapses. 

-KristopherH