Buying machine gun from a local individual on a form 4

Texas

So I found a machine gun that I want to buy from someone local to me.  How do you typically do the deal?  I know to meet in person and check the form 4 to their ID, but do you typically give them 50% down and 50% when the ATF clears the transfer?  I know from individual to SOT will take about 4 months but what is to stop the seller from running off with your first payment in the meantime?  

Write up an NFA contract detailing the entire transaction, who pays shipping, transfer cost and if they charge for packing it up. No detail is too small. Get it signed before sending any money. If possible see the gun in person, and test fire it. If the person is not well known in the NFA community google their name and address and see what comes up. (this saved me from a fraudulent deal on an HK sear) If the seller is ok with a 50/50 deal that is usually a good sign. Spend lots of time with them on the phone and find out their knowledge on the NFA process and machine guns. The only time I have not gotten what was agreed upon was buying from a well know NFA guy on the third transaction I did not do a contract. NEVER AGAIN.

Edited by x50plt

All of the advice above is great.

Most NFA people are good people who take their reputation seriously. Trust, but verify. 

In the unlikely event you get burned, pay the guy who screwed you back at least fourfold.

Some dirt-bag attempted to burn me once. When it was all said and done, he knew he screwed with the wrong dude. 

Good luck, I'm sure it will work out just fine.

In Liberty,

KristopherH