Is a c&r license worth the headaches?

Thumpy

Hey fellas I’ve been looking in to getting my c&r license so I can travel with the c&r mgs I own with out writing/waiting for the crown to say it’s okay...but stumbled upon a ton of stories of people getting harassed by them for having a c&r few story’s where people where forced into allowing them in to there homes to do an inspection?

Idk figured I’d ask y’all if it’s worth the extra bs or not because honestly from the sounds of it if I’m going to go threw with all that I might as well just go get a manufacturers license and start building and buying  guns to sell on the side if they are going to harass me and want to search my house I might as well try making little money at it for the headaches you know? 

so any advice, guidance, opinions, story’s etc  would be of great help thank you all in advance 

I have a C&R and a dealer/SOT and have never had any issues with BATFE. That being said we have a lady who maintains all our store paperwork and she does a good job providing any information they request. I have talked to others who have not had such good interactions with BATFE but all of them were sloppy with their record keeping. Getting the C&R was as simple as filling out the form and mailing it in.

Thumpy,

I've had my C&R about 15 years and no complaints so far  It's been nice being able to get non NFA things directly and the savings I got by having a Jap 99 LMG delivered to my door rather than paying another $200 plus fees for a local dealer to handle the transfer from out of state was more than enough to maintain the C&R license for many years.  As far as them searching my house... shit, I can't even get them to raid the drug house across the street.

Kevin in NC

Hi Thumpy, a lot of the BAFTE stories are usually missing a few details. Like, oh, uh, maybe I sold a few guns to people. Tried to buy FFL items on a C&R. Owned something without the proper paperwork. Just be careful, and you shouldn't have any problems. I'm going to go for a C&R soon myself.

9 hours ago, riflejunky said:

I have a C&R and a dealer/SOT and have never had any issues with BATFE. That being said we have a lady who maintains all our store paperwork and she does a good job providing any information they request. I have talked to others who have not had such good interactions with BATFE but all of them were sloppy with their record keeping. Getting the C&R was as simple as filling out the form and mailing it in.

Doesn't really make any sense to have both, the FFL+SOT trumps anything the C&R can do.

6 hours ago, b_san said:

Doesn't really make any sense to have both, the FFL+SOT trumps anything the C&R can do.

It made sense for me to have both when I was transferring a lot of C+R DD's that I could not do on a 01/03, or if you are keeping a bunch of C+R guns personally vs. putting them on an 01/03 and dragging them out for audits all the time.  

At some point when atf is relieved of it's duties performing transfers, it goes to someone else competent (like treasury where it's actually legal), and form 4 transfers go to 3-4 weeks as they should be it will make sense again.  Of course in a few short years all MG's will be C+R, more guys will pick up the license. 

OVER the years , I have also heard all these HORROR STORIES about ATF late night exams and everything else you can think of. NOT ONE WENT PAST THE FIRST BLURT OF B/S! in 40+ years know of only 1 "visit" checking the transfer of a pistol found in a stolen car that was traced back to the lic holder. they took note of the log out info, said thank you and left. I have never had more than a C+R and have ZERO facts about the other federal licenses. I went through the JACK BOOT DAYS following passage of the 68 gun control act and all the people I knew back then that were dealers in NFA and manufacturers ALSO had / have C+R licenses. I don't know if  the trend is to work on the "grey" side or if all the activity done is 100% legit. it was explained to me that a out of state transferor MUST invoice a modern firearm to the transferee BEFORE  he leaves the state with it or must be shipped to the new buyer when they get home.. so unless both licensee's are in their home state , any new transactions require the firearm to be shipped from the transferors home address even if paid in full. several of the old time dealers like OHIO ORD ABIDE BY THAT RULE. WHEN THEY ARE AT KNOBB CREEK , any modern arm bought there , will go home and be shipped when they return PERIOD. if its a C+R and sold to a C+R holder, its hand to hand. I see all kinds of transactions done other ways , but avoid them completely.  so for me, the advantage of a C+R is well worth it. NON NFA transfers ANY WHERE , ANY WAY. SHOOTS ? C+R NFA no form 5 just go and enjoy

• Like 1

I also have a FFL/SOT (01/03) but decided to maintain my C&R, which I've had for years.  It's $30, or $10 a year, so its cheap.  The paperwork is no big deal either.  ATF has never shown much of an interest in my C&R.  I will say that some 01 FFLs refuse to recognize them.  I remember seeing rifle I really wanted once in a store, I think it was a GEW 98, but the guy refused to accept my C&R, so don't be surprised if you occasionally run into that.  After that, I made it a habit to ensure, as often as possible, that the seller would take a C&R, especially with GB/internet sales.  All in all, however, I think it's a great tool for collectors.  I even used it for a few NFA items.  I bought my first SMG (a Reising M50) with my C&R.  Also put my first mortar on it.  I say get one for yourself and if you don't like it, don't use it, you're only out $30.

To me it's silly not to have a C&R.  If you buy ONE firearm out of state during the 3 years, you have made back the cost of the C&R versus having it transferred to a dealer.

Another good point about the C&R; unlike an FFL, you do not have to keep there records forever.  Let it expire after 3 years and there is no requirement to keep the records.  I just let it expire, then re-apply the day after it expires.  I do have to go a month or so without a license.  But I will never be hassled about a transaction from 20 years ago.

Also keep in mind that EVERY firearm over 50 years old is automatically a C&R.  If it was made before 1971, it is now a C&R.  As mentioned above, in 2036, EVERY transferable machine gun in the country will be a C&R!  No more messing with Form 5320.20!

• Like 1