shipping a subgun

davester

I am an SOT and have a customer (not a licensed person) who just sold her M11 to an SOT out of State.  It is approved and she wants to ship it.  USPS won't ship handguns but UPS will.  Should she go to UPS, declare it as a handgun, and let them ship second day air?  Alternately, could I meet her at post office, hand them a "Statement by Shipper of Firearms" form, and have her hand it over to them and pay the shipping cost?  Would second option technically be an illegal transfer of an NFA item in BATF's view?  Have not dealt with this before and I'm sure some of you have. Thanks

I have shipped subguns via USPS registered mail several times with no problems. I have a good relationship with the post office personnel and they never questioned the small box. If the gun has a stock I don't consider it a handgun and no one ever cared.  As for the question of an "illegal transfer", if you have a question as to the legality of a transfer then I would ask ATF directly as poor advice could be costly. 

USPS is the best way to ship that M11. Wrap it in a Flat rate box. Send it registered and insured. It will not cost an arm and leg like it would if you use UPS. The seller is just entering the gun into interstate shipping and you are just part of the process. It is not a transfer so there is no problem. Go ahead and set her at the post office. Bring the postal form and get it done. 

Edited by JOELCRAMER

As of 2012, UPS will not ship "machine guns", to include submachine guns.  They will ship pistols, rifles, and shotguns, but nothing fully automatic.  The nice lady at the distro center actually printed that rule up from me, it is on the main UPS web site.  I had to drive three miles away and use FEDEX second day air. 

Lance