Giving a mg to a sot for repair

Thumpy

Hey fellas I was wondering if this requires paper work? The gunsmith was under the impression it’s not needed... he is also in a neighboring state... for me to give him a gun to repair I need to file a form correct or no? Most things I can fix my self the reising detent that holds the plug is for some reason is making me uncomfortable and figured I’d let some one who is better with tools then I am have a go at it. Also I’d prefer to have it worked on in my state if possible is there any one here in Missouri you all could recommend to me?

Thumpy,

I sent my Aug to Pete, I typed a letter stating "sent to Pete Athens for work and or repair" and dated it. I made a copy and put one in the box and kept one. That's all I believe you are required to do. Shows proof where and whom has it and for what reason it's out of your possession....

I think at one time the ATF recommended a form 5, but frankly all I ever did was send a copy of my form 1 or 4 with a letter addressed to the SOT, defining the work to be done, a time period, and the description of the item with serial number, etc.... With the state of the NFA branch now, I can not imagine the wait period if you had to do a form 5... UGH!!!!! I sent my sear pack to Mike at TSC Machine  to repair, total turn around was a week.  If I had to do a form 5 , it would have been months.....

Here is a link to the ATF document stating required v. recommended... https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/repair-nfa-firearms/download

thank you fellas for the info I figured he was right but idk I just didn’t want to send it and then say some one came looking for it and the best I could say is well it’s not home right now lol... so just type up a permission letter copy form 4 and it’s good to go. Who’s the most friendly to mgs when it comes to shipping?

I always use Fed Ex next day air and insure it for what it's worth. If they "lose it" they WILL pay the claim as they've done so here with work stuff they've lost. I hate to think of them losing one of my MG's.... but I've seen them lose more things than you think. I've even seen it happen with UPS as well.... My point is, Fed-Ex will pay the claim. I'm not sure how "easy" it would be to get USPS to honor the claim if they lost an MG and we ALL know the "lost in the mail" deal with USPS. (lol) For what it's worth....

No Form 5 is needed unless the gunsmith requires it (some do).

If your mg is less than rifle length (16" barrel, 26" overall length), you are stuck with FedEx for shipping or you need a licensee to mail it. 

I include a letter to the gunsmith with my contact info and what I want done. I also put in a copy of my driver's license and a copy of the Form 4. 

In Liberty,

Kristopher H

FELLERS MOVE WITH CAUTION IF YOU WILL, I used to include a copy of my form 4 in any shipment and now I put a note inside to contact the recipient if there is any problem.  In the 80's a customer trading us a COLT 21 for a MP-40 suffered a huge loss due to break in the weekend AFTER he shipped the gun. the detectives solved the case and it took a couple months to find out how, less than half of his stuff was ever found.  it turns out THE COLT was stolen at the post office the day he dropped it off. obviously the thief used the info inside to case his home and hit it the next day. even with all the high tech security these days THEY STILL MAKE STUPID IDIOTIC SHARKS that don't seem to know. In feb this year my SOT handled a out of state transaction and a $4800 hand gun was stolen out of the post office. the camera's solved the case, but it still took more than a week , case solved , gun recovered and I hope the SHARK is hiding in a corner with a sore throat and butt trying to figure out who to blame for his ILL treatment.