Form 4 times individual to SOT

davester

don't get too discouraged, you got the info you asked for. ON THE POSITIVE SIDE, just after spring of 2019, many transfers were reported clearing in less than 4 months, including several of mine.  its a sad fact but if you are stuck with a "do nothing examiner" it wont get any better. HOWEVER I know of 2 that were approved and completed in 7 WEEKS during Sept and Oct 2019. just this week my dealer submitted a 5 piece batch transfer to me on form 4's and they used the new electronic information transfer for the fingerprints and other information , not sure how all that works or more details but that is said to REALLY SPEED THINGS UP so I will keep ya posted. it looks like I might be around long enough to enjoy that FN-240 b-4 I take the long walk, GOD WILLING!  HOORAH!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, riflejunky said:

Spoke to ATF last Wednesday and was told average transfer time ten months currently. 

Not for a transfer from an individual TO a dealer.  Those are averaging 3-4 months, some less, some more.

Edited by b_san

On 1/20/2020 at 0:04 AM, mike todd said:

I bought my FN-240 from an individual on a form 4 in FEB 2019 it cleared to my dealer here just b-4 x-mas 

On 1/19/2020 at 9:13 PM, POLLC said:

From my personal collection on a Form 4 to an out of state FFL/SOT, sixty-two days.

Alan dba POLLC 

FFL/SOT

On 1/21/2020 at 11:48 PM, b_san said:

Not for a transfer from an individual TO a dealer.  Those are averaging 3-4 months, some less, some more.

On 1/20/2020 at 0:04 AM, mike todd said:

I bought my FN-240 from an individual on a form 4 in FEB 2019 it cleared to my dealer here just b-4 x-mas 

In 2019, the numbers seem to be all over the place for Individual->Dealer on paper F4 as reported above.
Just on this thread, as short as 62 days and as long as ~10 months.   Perhaps this is due to the couple months where error-free paper F4s specifically  to Individuals were getting prioritized.  Odd there is that much variability.

On 1/25/2020 at 5:02 PM, POLLC said:

"All we have is our word and our name. Don't do anything to taint either one. Losing your word or tarnishing your name may only take a moment, but to reclaim your word and name may take a lifetime."

Alan dba POLLC

Another awesome quote.

It's nice to see that transfer times from Individuals to Dealers are coming down, although there is still some room for improvement. 

Hopefully, ATF goes live with E-Form 4 this year. With the technology we have available today,10+ month transfers are...bullshit. This is 2020, not 1934.

In Liberty,

KristopherH

• Like 2

b-san, sorry but individual to dealer in 3-4 months is nowhere close to the average reported. work the actual reported numbers and its more like 9 months overall. yes a few are moving faster, just like many form 1's and 4's to individuals. they are exceptions to the rule and not "normal".     ALAN THOSE QUOTES ARE FANTASTIC! keep em coming.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MontanaRenegade86 said:

Hopefully, ATF goes live with E-Form 4 this year. With the technology we have available today,10+ month transfers are...bullshit. This is 2020, not 1934.

In Liberty,

KristopherH

I agree with that completely Kristopher honestly I don’t understand why it takes more then a few weeks for us to get approvals... I mean if the IRS can figure out if they owe me money or if I owe them money in a few weeks why can’t the atf just stamp approved on a pice of paper after running a back ground check..

17 hours ago, mike todd said:

b-san, sorry but individual to dealer in 3-4 months is nowhere close to the average reported. work the actual reported numbers and its more like 9 months overall. yes a few are moving faster, just like many form 1's and 4's to individuals. they are exceptions to the rule and not "normal".     ALAN THOSE QUOTES ARE FANTASTIC! keep em coming.

Mike I hate to tell you this but whoever is telling you 9 months is average or normal for a form 4 individual to dealer is lying or doesn't know what they're talking about.  I've never had one take longer than 5 months (to the exact day) and most of my incoming form 4s are between 2.5-3 months.  These are not exceptions, this is the norm.  Feel free to ask around with other SOTs.

Edited by b_san

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 9:28 PM, 1981fj40 said:

i'm in two weeks waiting for local Sheriff Dept approval so i can send paperwork in to BATFE. Should i inquire about their progress, or is this a normal local law enforcement background time frame?

You don't wait on your sheriff anymore.  You don't need his signature.  You just send them the Copy #3 (CLEO copy) at the same time you send in Copies 1 and 2 to the ATF.  Read the instructions on the Form 4 application to transfer.  The instructions set it out clearly.