Issue with MAC M10 45 cal suppressor

Texascbr

Recently received a Powder Springs Mac 10 with a MAC Suppressor model M10, 45 caliber Serial S1-30013**. This is an earlier can from 1978 or before with the two separate sized tubes making up the body. This can and gun appear to have been used very little if any.

Dry firing the Mac 10 with the can installed something fell out that looked like tan mud. Shaking the can around to see if any more would come out I could hear some light noise. Looking down the can from the front I discovered what appears to be a standard washer within a couple inches of the muzzle that had dislodged and would turn sideways in the can.

Not able to shoot this as is and wondering what path I should take? I understand these cans can be disassembled and wonder if it is worthwhile for me to attempt a repair or if I should send it off to someone to update the baffle stack to a more modern configuration. Both paths also raise questions. If I repair what are the steps I should take and any gotchas to be aware of? If sending the can off to upgrade who is recommended and why?

Edited by Texascbr
Grammar

The old Sionics-style cans used an endcap assembly that incorporates "wipes", which are plastic disks that the bullet actually forces its way through as it is fired.  They were supposed to provide a superior gas seal, but are old tech and nobody used them any more.  If the old plastic wipe has crumbled due to age and can actually obstruct the path of the bullet, you should not use the can until it is repaired.  The endcap assembly should simply unscrew from the front and the assembly is held together with a big "c" clip.  It's not difficult to disassemble and replace the wipes and you can probably also find a substitute endcap that will eliminate them and just use a more modern design.  Tom Bowers offers a rebuild service for these old cans and you might want to contact him at bowersgroup.com

Even more important is to check the buffer in the MAC.  It's a rubber or plastic piece that cushions the impact of the bolt on the back end of the receiver and is also know for drying out and crumbling away with age.  If yours is old and brittle or falling apart, DO NOT fire the gun without replacing it as you can blow the back of the receiver out.

• Like 1

Dink,

Thanks for the input. Agreed and already done on the rear buffer for the Mac. This is not my first MAC and I had this part ready to swap before the latest one arrived. Very easy thing for folks to miss. Regarding the can, the piece that is loose is a metal washer and not a wipe. I should have been clear in my description. Not sure why this would be loose in the can and what holds it in place. Suppose worst case scenario is I pull the can apart and if I can't repair I just send it to Bowers.

The original design Sionics cans only had washers in the endcap assembly, and the rest of the front end was filled with two spiral baffles.  Once again, the endcap assembly just unscrews, so see if you can remove it and see what's going on in there.  The "C" clip that holds everything together may have come loose or it may have broken.  Either way, I would replace the whole assembly with a modern wipeless one.  Wipes adversely effect your accuracy and need to be replaced on a regular basis.  I did this long ago with my Sionics-type silencer and it has functioned fine with no maintenance ever since.