Reising Question

bandanabandit1

It's been a while since I shot my early commercial Reising but there may be two or three things causing this.  First, does the safety remain in semi then jump to full during firing?  Does the FA fire happen in semi mode consistently or sporadically?  There is a flat spring with a ridge in the center beneath the safety that engages the detent in the safety.  If this spring is loose, worn or in backwards then recoil during firing can move the safety lever to another position just enough to alter the operation of the gun.  It doesn't have to move all the way, just enough.   Second, does this happen with all ammo or only certain brands or loads?  Mine loves steel cased Wolf ammo and runs insanely fast on the stuff.  S&B and my handloads are not as hot and it runs a bit slower.  Weaker ammo might be enough to cycle the gun and fire but not hot enough to grab the sear to hold it in semi.  Third, does the gun have the original springs?  I put a Wolff spring kit in the gun shortly after I got it and it ran much better.  Fourth, it's a Reising and sometimes they do what they want to do.  They are really fun guns when they're running right.  I'm glad I got mine when I did.  They're not nearly as cheap as they once were.

Good luck,

Kevin in NC

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got one from a Village Police Department in a trade. As Mr. Bartlett states, when it runs, it runs well. When it doesn't, oh well.
Is there a serial number database like there is for Thompsons? The Department didn't have the Treasury Registration for it so it was unnerving to just send it the Form 5 hoping it was accurately registered since no one alive could remember when or from who it was acquired. I'd like to know if they are the original purchasing agency. #105XX

On 12/11/2019 at 4:16 AM, bandanabandit1 said:

Was shooting a Reising recently and when it was on SA it fired FA. What part needs to be replaced to get it to actually shoot semi when on SA? FA worked fine.

TIA

When switching from FA to SEMI you must retract the action bar 1/4" to unhook the FA lever from the action bar, if you don't, it bends a component in the trigger group that keeps the FA lever away from the action bar. Easy fix is to just bend it back into place.

On 1/8/2020 at 4:20 PM, ATT-Tactical said:

Got one from a Village Police Department in a trade. As Mr. Bartlett states, when it runs, it runs well. When it doesn't, oh well.
Is there a serial number database like there is for Thompsons? The Department didn't have the Treasury Registration for it so it was unnerving to just send it the Form 5 hoping it was accurately registered since no one alive could remember when or from who it was acquired. I'd like to know if they are the original purchasing agency. #105XX

ATT-Tactical,

Mr. Iannamico, who posted above, wrote an excellent book on the Reising with tons of information found nowhere else including serial numbers.  I don't know if it's still available but whatever I paid for the book about 15 years ago was well worth the price.

Kevin in NC  

when many folks try to trouble shoot a problem they usually go straight to the suspected culprit and with the design of the REISING 50/55 a thorough cleaning often corrects most problems. many of the detent springs among others gave borderline performance when new, now add in a gummy pivot or gummed up recess to enhance it and you find the answer. the previously mentioned selector fault is not uncommon but a slow disconnector for the same reason is more likely to be at fault. weak return springs usually make up for any "slower " ammo you will encounter, but if equipped with new WOLF springs you will notice it instantly. I have NEVER SEEN OR HAD A REISING MOD 50/55 that would not run flawlessly if properly cleaned / good springs and magazines. its one of my favorite shooters and wont let you down. almost ALWAYS its just plain old gummed up lube that causes the problem.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 0:37 PM, mike todd said:

when many folks try to trouble shoot a problem they usually go straight to the suspected culprit and with the design of the REISING 50/55 a thorough cleaning often corrects most problems. many of the detent springs among others gave borderline performance when new, now add in a gummy pivot or gummed up recess to enhance it and you find the answer. the previously mentioned selector fault is not uncommon but a slow disconnector for the same reason is more likely to be at fault. weak return springs usually make up for any "slower " ammo you will encounter, but if equipped with new WOLF springs you will notice it instantly. I have NEVER SEEN OR HAD A REISING MOD 50/55 that would not run flawlessly if properly cleaned / good springs and magazines. its one of my favorite shooters and wont let you down. almost ALWAYS its just plain old gummed up lube that causes the problem.

Mr. Todd, we received this from a local village department without mags. I had found a company that had repop's and bought 3. With good ball ammo, it failed to pick up a round after the chambered one was fired, The expended shell did eject but upon closer examination of the magazine feed lips in relation to the underside of the bolt, it appears to be too much of a gap. Do you have a pic of yours from the side showing the gap and possibly the measurement from the top of the cartridge rim to the magazine spine and to the center of the locating Pin hole?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mn54rrtd3hc2wdj/20200109_101520.jpg?dl=0

Keystone mags? They almost never work right out of the box, very disappointing for the price they charge.  Feed lips usually need to be opened up a bit in the front to get the nose of the bullet up at the right angle though it sounds like on yours the mag catch might be keeping the mag a little too low.  Finding some factory mags, whether 12s or 20s, is your best bet to avoid frustration.

SAD FACT , WE OLD DINOSAUR'S don't give good camera sorry to say . the vault is on the other side of the ranch from where I live and I wont be able to go there until at least Monday pm. too much rain and I don't want to mess up the road!  I will attempt some pics then if it helps. I can assure you if the mags are indeed keystone , the extra gap and weak springs wont feed the ammo properly ! I thought they were LONG GONE and out of the picture? one day was too long. the ONLY after market mags I know of that work are the Christy 30's . I don't use them . for some reason, all my life I have never been able to pass an original 20 rnd that's on a table and have plenty. not looking to sell them , but would help you out with one to prove your action with if need be, just let me know. also, I just had a thought that might be an easier solution . let me play with this a bit and see what happens.

Mike,

For some reason I could not post or attach photos when I tried to reply last night so I emailed photos directly to the gentleman with the troublesome mags.  Hopefully they will help him figure out his problem.  If not, maybe your photos will do so.  My original 20's and Christie 30's work fine.  Last I saw any Reising mags at a gunshow in NC were 12's and they were stupid expensive and that was years ago.

Kevin in NC

Or it could be Mike's boss doesn't want him taking pictures of his stuff and posting them on the net?  He seemed to be a pretty low key guy when I met him. 

Christie sold out to Keystone and are producing the mags currently.  I have some Christy mags (last of them), but haven't bought any from keystone yet, but the rumor was they had some issues.  The magazines would not cause a semi/full auto issue.  Start with Frank's suggesting and work forward from there.  Better yet, buy some books (including his) and manuals and start there, since all of the hard work has been done by these authors that spent a lot of time compiling this info.  If you think you're going to get that level of "tech support" here on the net in a couple of posts it's not going to happen.  You sit down with the book and the gun nearby, start reading and learning as you go, no different than any other mechanical repair.  I fix things for a living, from guns to furnaces, to diesel engines and most are "one off" repairs so manuals, books, and web documents save me and my customers tens of thousands a year in labor  and broken parts (from improper disassembly).

ATT, start with a known commodity such as a factory 12 or 20 and go from there.  I can measure some today but there can be tolerance issues so dimensions alone may not help?  As b-san says it could be the catch?  Are the pins tight on the housing? Or in backwards?

So the mags range  Opening at the back on originals .450 on two and .456 on two more (inside)   Christy .450 on 3 checked

Opening at the front 1/4" back  .523,.527, .541,.530    Christy  .540,.536, .536

Mag catch hole (from the top of the mag to the top of the hole) 2.62, 2.63, 2.64, 2.64   Christy  2.65, 2.65, 2.65

The Christy mags are NIW.  The original 20's are like new with minimal insertion marks on the spine and 98%+ blue left on the tip of the followers.   Of all these mags checked I have never actually fired from any of these and I have a bunch more I use in the guns that have more wear on them, so I can't say for sure any of these actually do function.  HTH

HTH, thank you for taking the time to take & provide those measurements. My Gunsmith has some open bench time this week and will take a look.

The Reising bolt as magazine feed lip cuts in the underside which seem to mean the magazine should sit when locked in, high enough to ride those cuts. 

Was there a design chance in magazines between 50's, 55's and 60's?