Original Cobray .45 suppressor for MAC-10?

MP5

Yeah, BrettBaker, that was a bit of a Senior Moment for me.  I'm talking about the original suppressors that came with the late 1970's era Powder Springs .45 cal MAC-10's, they were big(-ish) cans and, IIRC, typically had a black fabric cover.  Were those cans made by MAC, or made by someone else and just usually marketed/sold along with the MAC-10 SMG's?

not as much of a "SENIOR" moment as you thought. I believe  there are indeed COBRAY MARKED MAC-10's out there. several large lots of the guns were sold maybe 4-5 times as a group and MR DANIELS may have bought and sold one lot TWICE ? his logo was removed when wholesaled out and added when he bought. If I remember it correct one lot had it added when he bought them, removed when he sold them, another person bought them, then MR DANIELS bought them back and reapplied the "cobray" and most if not all finally got sold piece meal. it got so confusing , only ATF would know the true story about ownership and how they were marked

sorry , I forgot to address the can issue. the original cans were "SIONICS" and thats MR MITCH WERBELL  who brought them to the MAC plate. MITCH OWNED the powder springs property. it was a "magic moment" for both him and GORDON when SIONICS and the MAC came together. when MILITARY ARMAMENT FAILED , RPB marked a few of the same design, but RPB didn't last very long. MR DANIELS while an accomplished gunsmith and designer was ALSO a businessman and actually sold more than all else added together. I have a fetish about the MACS and feel that's the ONLY can that truly belongs. all else looks like a man with tits to me. it just wont work

• Like 1

They come up for sale from time to time. Just keep an eye on GB and some of the bigger dealers that get them in on package deals. They used to be dirt cheap, but with the rising popularity of the Mac platform they’re starting to get collectible in they’re own right. These days they appear to get $300 to $600 out of them pretty easy. They sell pretty quick in the 3ish range, $5-600 will sit for quite awhile. Mines s/n matched to my gun and is priceless to me. 

• Like 1

I had one that I sold with a MAC. The can was an early Powder Springs model.

I had several offers for the can alone when I had the MAC and suppressor advertised together, from $750 to $900.  It went with the gun.

The MAC type cans were made by the original MAC company, as well as both RPB companies and SWD.

There were a fairly large number made by individuals and C2s from the kits that SWD sold (that led to the ban on owning suppressor parts.) 

MAC, RPB, and SWD all used the Cobray name. SWD's Cobray logo is easily IDed. It has a registered trademark letter R inside a circle added. 

I agree that a MAC looks "right" with that old school can on the muzzle!

Lots of info in the MAC MAN book!

1.JPG

Edited by Frank Iannamico

FRANK , A GREAT BOOK that brought back a lot of old thoughts and helped a bunch with tidbits lost to time for me. it took a while for me to learn the format and find the info I needed but its all there for sure. I would like to find a copy of MILITARY ARMAMENTS price sheet/ catalog of the various weapons they offered along with GORDONS GEM.  I recently bought a FN made UZI marked SIONICS and one of  MITCHES first MAC CANS that I fired next to GORDON at the POWDER SPRINGS RANGE b-4 he was RAN OFF by those ass wipe CARPET BAGGERS from NEW YORK. if you have one or know of any leads it would be a good addition to the package. cheers mike