Johnson lmg parts kit

edd1e22

A friend of mine passed away and I've been helping his daughter clean out all his gun stuff. He'd been collecting for 40years and lots of stuff has accumulated over the years.

One of the items he had was a 1941 Johnson lmg parts kit that had been built into a dummy gun. From what I can tell, all the parts are complete and there appears to be some random tid bits which I believe are for the Johnson.

Overall, the kit is in good condition for its age and the only thing missing is a chunk of the receiver that was chopped off when they demilled it. 

I've searched high and low and can't figure out what something like this is worth and how to sell it besides throwing it in gun broker. 

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

GOLD MY DEAR FELLOW PURE GOLD. I may be a bit behind times but actually have a lot of history with the 41 LMG. back in the day  ARMEX had almost all the dealer samples that cam in.  I bought most of them and even bought the cleanup of incomplete and pieces when they ceased business. I bought JOHNSON "SPORTERS" and used those receivers to make semi auto versions. in the 80's I sold them for up to $10,500.00.  in 20 minutes max you can build one using the rotary magazine and recreate MELVINS "DAISY MAE". the actual number is lost to history but he built less than 6 maybe only 2 of those. either build will generate more than the parts alone, but the magazine well alone is well worth $3k maybe $4. if the stock is serviceable the last lower I know of that sold went for $1000. and the barrel if not worn or pitted another $1000. the complete bolt/carrier/ spring ass should be at least $1000. if the BIPOD IS PRESENT JUST SO/SO REPO'S WERE $2500.20 years ago. WOW you got my blood moving with this one THANK YOU!  hope I helped ya cheers mike

• Like 1

Mike, that's quite the pleasant surprise. I need to go back and see what exactly is all there. I think the barrel is in good shape but need to go look again.

How can I tell if the bipod is a repro and how much do you think an original one is worth?

Is gunbroker a good place to try and sell something like this?

Regardless, I take a bunch of pics and post them here for posterity!

edd, the only way one could be sure is by direct comparison with another .but I would start by comparing the workmanship and manufacturing details with other parts of the gun. for instance all the sheet metal pieces would be joined with the same spot weld technic's and bent on the same tool. if I owned a 41 LMG without the BIPOD $4k would not be out of the question and even if a repo not much less. its a sad thing but many times the separate parts can be more than double the value than if all together. if I owned this kit, in order to get the MAX AMOUNT for all of it, I would buy a "sporter" use that receiver and magazine to build a "DAISY MAE" semi. that should bring $7500/8000 today the left over semi parts? wood, $200/300, barrel $200/300 all internal unused "sporter" parts $500. LMG bolt extension $300, the side mag housing $3500/4000,  bolt $1000, all it takes to build the DAISY MAE is about 10 minutes with 2 diff files for the lower catch, put the semi bolt in the lower,  and one drilled 1/8" or smaller tapped hole to restrict selector position. then a simple park finish. the most difficult part is buying a "sporter" for the receiver. you will want one that has NOT been drilled for a scope mount. the holes often are in the orig markings and that is very important to the value of the finished piece. its not impossible that one could reach $9500/$10k ,  my first figure is a figure easy to reach