straightgrain

FOIA Response: MG Count

11 posts in this topic

The NFATCA filed a FOIA request in 2014 in order to ascertain an updated count of registered machine guns in the NFRTR. The initial FOIA request was rejected. The NFATCA appealed and acknowledged that because of the disparate record types, we understood that a margin of error might exist. DOJ/ATF has acted on our appeal and delivered on their promise to provide the statistics. As of February 24, 2016:

• Pre '86: 175,977
  • Sales Samples: 17,020
  • Restricted 922(o) ("posties"): 297,667

From ATF: "Please note that ATF utilizes customized Standard Query Language (SQL) to collect information from system databases. In the instant case, an SQL query may not capture all methods in which the requested information has been manually entered into system data fields. Thus, while each individual record is accurate, there is an inherent albeith wholly unintentional margin of error as to the aggregate statistical information requested."

3 people like this

That's very interesting.  In the past have they ever released a number and if they did has the number changed?  Particularly in regard to transferables.

The last time we got a transferable number was ~10 years ago. The number, then, was just over 186k. We're losing a lot of guns.

3 hours ago, straightgrain said:

The last time we got a transferable number was ~10 years ago. The number, then, was just over 186k. We're losing a lot of guns.

Wow!  That's alot!

Posted (edited)

Consider that 1/3 of the US population owns guns, and there are 320,000,000 people in the US (all wiki derived numbers).

Also, by some estimates, about half of all the transferables are owned by government, museums, or large businesses that would never circulate the guns to the general population.

That means about 100,000,000 gun owners are sharing 100,000 transferable MGs. Ouch.

Edited by Machineguntony

Plus many machine-gun owners own multiple machine-guns so the number of owners of transferable machine-guns is much lower than 100,000.  I mean, who owns just one?

Does anyone know how many of the Pre-May Dealer "Keeper" samples mentioned above are HK or FN etc?  Thanks.  

Posted (edited)

On March 3, 2016 at 2:53 PM, clc3251 said:

Plus many machine-gun owners own multiple machine-guns so the number of owners of transferable machine-guns is much lower than 100,000.  I mean, who owns just one?

I'm guessing the number of owners is less then 25k.  I agree many people own more than one plus there are those guys that with 20+.  The advantage of being around during the good old days.  I blame my parents, instead of toys they should have been buying me machine guns! 

Edited by pa123guns

The numbers are a bit more depressing when one considers that there are still some transferrables possessed by law enforcement agencies.  While dealers may be able to trade some out for new posties, I suspect a large number of those guns are effectively post samples for all intents and purposes due to department policies against their sale.  We'll be lucky to see those as parts kits.  :(

I wonder if anyone has any metric as to the "true transferrables"? i.e. Transferrables actually in the hands of individuals. 

I am surprised there are not more post samples  

I don't believe it....

It was FAR FAR more..