Buying Class III from individual?

Texas

I recently purchased my first full auto a SWD M11a1 from a retail gun shop for $8000.  I know I paid a premium to buy it from a retail store but was unsure about how to purchase a class III item from another person without getting scammed.  How do you know that the gun someone is selling is actually in the registry and how do people usually handle these deals?

TEX,  HARD CALL FOR SURE. find out where they got it and call them if possible. ask for ref and make sure THEY are good. ask who they know and check others in your area. make sure you talk by phone not just emails.  once I find out where they are I will try to have SOMEONE pay them a visit for a visual. REMEMBER EVERYTHING CAN AND IS FAKED , form 4s. FFLS you name it they have done it. when first taking the plunge its tough but things come around quickly once you get in the "circle"  most of the idiots cant get it right SOMEWHERE. the lingo is off, or they start stuttering about something. I REAL POSITIVE IS HAVE THEM PUT THIER DRIVERS LICENSE IN THE SAME PICTURE OF THE FORM 4 AND THE GUN. if they don't want to comply drop them. any hesitation ANYWHERE drop them!. call them direct at different times and don't call a cell phone ONLY! I had one guy add his elec bill in a pic and made sure it matched the DL. few HONEST will refuse ANY reasonable request. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 8:48 PM, Texas said:

I recently purchased my first full auto a SWD M11a1 from a retail gun shop for $8000.  I know I paid a premium to buy it from a retail store but was unsure about how to purchase a class III item from another person without getting scammed.  How do you know that the gun someone is selling is actually in the registry and how do people usually handle these deals?

I will ask for a picture or scan of the current paperwork that the gun is on.  A full scanned copy of the Form 4 will tell you everything, the STAMP and should have the serial number written on it and you will also see the serial number in the paperwork itself.  Get a picture of the serial number on the gun and match the two up.  Should be fine to move forward after that.  

Verifying that the seller's name / location matches what's on the paperwork also helps, but keep in mind that many people move around their state or the country without amending their paperwork or submitting a 5320.20.