Thompson Vs AK for next buy thoughts on each?

AlexUSMC0311

ALEX, both are good choices and will be fun, I got started WAY back when with the THOMPSON because of the history attached. shooting them is ok but they give me 10 times more satisfaction just handling them and thinking. I often take them apart "just because" its all part of the deal. for me, NOTHING on the planet comes close to pulling back the bolt on a COLT THOMPSON and that feel. one of my savage 28's is close after I cratexed and ARMALLOYED all the parts so it need not be ONLY a COLT.  I also own several AK's and they certainly have their place in history. I believe its the highest production weapon ever by a huge margin. I have owned a "KRINK" but it didn't last long. its a fantastic hip level hose, but not comfortable at the shoulder at all. my favorite is a wood stock with the folding bayo due to shooting comfort and when I close my eye's and think AK that's what I see. I feel the first example of a weapon in my collection should adhere to its roots and maintain the LOOK and purpose it is best known for. If more than one then the sky's the limit. I have both the wood and folding stock in .30cal milled and a stamped wood stocked AK-74 all NFA. that folding metal stock is not one you will enjoy using much. in any case I suggest you avoid anything in .223. there are too many early conversions out there that are over gassed and broken bolts were common. they have corrected that with all the new stuff and many older conversions have been updated. if you can confirm that with confidence then it would be just fine. HISTORICALLY IMPORTANT, IN THE FUTURE I believe the most commonly known firearms overall will be in order; THE AK ,THE THOMPSON, THE UZI, THE M-16 in that order, because of distribution and use / movie's and publications. even today most people of all classes asked would name them most likely in that order. that cant hurt your investment either. when shopping, don't forget the major auction houses ! most have at least 3 major "premier" auctions a year and at least 2 minor sales. there has been plenty of AK's at most . the premier auctions are in the spring / fall one co in DEC. the other sales split up the year. the lots are posted on the internet with plenty of time to choose and email questions. the major players are MORPHY's, ROCK ISLAND and POULINS all with positives and negatives that you can work with BUT YOU MUST DO YOUR HOMEWORK ! and some fantastic deals ARE possible .  in any case enjoy! mike

14 hours ago, AlexUSMC0311 said:

thanks! i think im ggoing to go with the Tommy, now the question is should i look for an M1, the M1A1, the 1928? what are the pros and cons of each? which ones work the best? thanks!

Yup I second that decently go with a  1928 

ALEX, a 28 by a huge margin would be my first choice. when considering what's out there, I detest ANYTHING that has been defaced by removing or adding any markings OTHER THAN PROFESSIONALLY APPLIED AGENCY MARKS. IE; U.S. or A1 etc. OR BLASTED WITH BOULDER'S to refinish. no matter the "STORY" or "EXCUSE" I would prefer a reweld to any of that, simply because you will be confronted by BAD CURB APPEAL each time you get it out, and that will bring you most of the joy of guardianship. ALL THOMPSONS are now C+R's no matter who or when it was made and there is NOTHING wrong with the WEST HURLEY GUNS with MILITARY PARTS and a great deal is possible in todays market. AVOID ALL NEW DRUMS LIKE THE PLAGUE, the springs WILL break when you wind them often the first time, and few MFG'rs will repair them. the WW II drums are just fine with "Bridgeport" at the top in quality. they will have a "U" stamped in the drip plate dead center bottom. its even possible to have an extra set of parts for the higher rate of fire . when shopping for military parts, CHECK ALL SOURCES ! there are MAJOR price variations. as you wanted the "cons" also, there are few of those in the THOMPSON choices. original M-1 's are RARE and have always been expensive, it lacks the same features as the more often seen M1A1 when compared to the 28's the MAIN diff? NO DRUMS and the stock is fixed. side cock instead of the top and bolts cost more, getting harder to find alone. that's about it. should you want to know anything more, feel free to contact me any time ! mike