Uzi advice for buyer please!!

AlexUSMC0311

I have the opportunity to buy a full auto transferable Uzi (reg. Bolt) for the price of $11,000 out the door, i am only 22 and completely new to collecting machine guns, so is this a decent price? the gun looks like it was made yesterday and fired very little if at all. and from those of you who own Uzis, what is the good, the bad, the ugly? the quirks and things you like and dislike about them? thanks all!

Idk why it won’t let me type some times.

Alex for that price I’d save a little bit more money for a RR from what all the older guys told me it seemed like they all said to stay away from the bolts. Idk why but I normally try to listen to them. 

As far as price if you decide you are going with a bolt I think you could save your self a little bit Ik there’s at least one bolt for under 10k listed right now on this form

before you buy any thing make sure it runs if you can... ask for a video or to test fire it/inspect it before you commit to buying it if possible. 

Btw also one of the younger guys on here I’m only 23 it’s nice to see some one else around my age looking to join the mg world. Let us know what you end up going with! 

ALEX, stay away from the "bolt" guns!  BELIEVE ME,  I KNOW how important the bottom line is when starting out, but if its wrong , its wrong at any price. I also know there are a LOT OF HAPPY bolt gun owners , but every UNHAPPY OWNER cancels 20+ happy in my book , and I know way too many of those. when the semi UZI's first landed it caused more excitement in this trade than I have ever seen to this day. prior there was NOTHING and you could buy 3 LIVE full auto MAC-10's for less than an all metal JAP UZI TOY copy back then. THERE WERE NO UZI PARTS EITHER. BOLTS were priceless and when the SEMI's landed , it got worse. for almost 2 years the unregistered "slotted" bolts were openly traded at all the shows as no rulings had come down. when the 86 ban was announced , people were numbering ANYTHING made of metal to get in the system along with a lot of JUNK. although some of the bolts were indeed top notch. ONE of the MAIN problems is all the GOOD stuff has disappeared and I have seen dealers that still have 20 or more bolts never sold or used since day one except maybe another dealer. many will run fine for a while then that  out of spec hand fitted SPL extractor that was tediously tweaked to work quits and a full magazine without a jam is only a dream. the UZI is in my top 5 and I have SEVERAL. I could go on for hours about why and have many times on this board. just for clarity I will list my thoughts on best to worst so you can decide.B-4 I do, I will say this, several times this year you could have bought the best in the trade several times for less than $12,000. EASY!                                                                                       first choice would be an IMI BUILT action arms semi auto converted to select fire and a registered receiver the caliber on the paper work has NO "real" effect and it can be used to fire any round you can get parts for without changing the forms/ markings  on the gun etc. change it at will. some will be done exactly like a factory machine gun and others will still have some of the "defeat" features that will require barrel mods only. no big deal either way just be aware. I use original barrels turned to fit.                   second choice a VECTOR arms registered receiver made from anything, but insist on a reliability test so avoid unfired NIB                                                                     third choice, a USED GROUP INDUSTRY registered receiver proven to run. again avoid NIB many wont run and cant be returned when they don't                                       fourth choice forget the UZI and buy a REISING M-50 for 1/2 the cost.  in a nut shell make sure the DEALER will back up what he promises and beware of all the guys in the business that promise it all. LET THE GUN DO ALL THE TALKING!   WELCOME TO THE FOLD AND ENJOY  MIKE

Buy the bolt gun if the price suits you if it's in an IMI semi host.  The bolts are indestructible and moveable.  The only thing you'll sacrifice is not being able to spend twice and much money shooting .45 or the frustration of getting .22 to run reliably.  If you like frustration and spending money, get the second one.

group industries gun would be second.

Dead last would be anything marked Vector.

There are a number of original guns, but no where close to your price range.....collectors only.

words of advice. not an "expert" but own 6 uzis , all types , for last decade.

1. hit up Uzitalk forum for detailed info.

2. verify that its a reg. bolt and not a slotted bolt married to a reg. rec. Form 4 will reveal.

3. $11k is on the average-high end for a RB gun. You can prob get a decent reg. rec. gun for $11k in todays soft market. Cheaper from an indiv usually but with assc'd risks. More exp. from a dealer but with less risks. I wouldnt pay $11k for a RB gun from an indiv. and prob not from a dealer either. $9k would be a good buyer price IMO.

4. I wouldnt buy a RB gun without having dumped a few mags myself or seen recent videos of it doing so. Not one mag but several.

5. Im not scared of Reg Bolt guns in general. own 2- mini uzis. Reg Rec preferable in general though. If you are on a tight budget then you should look for a $9k RB gun proven to run ok...and just buy it. If you can go up to $11k then buy a Reg rec.

6. lots of opinions on Group, Vector, IMI guns. See Uzitalk library for overall and details. I'm personally fine with all three---as long as they arent New. New group or vector guns certainly may have issues as all had heat treating issues and out of spec receivers. By now most all of those have been remedied by previous owners...unless its new gun more or less.  

Uzi is a great entry gun into SMGs. You'll have fun. they are tanks and easy to fix, shoot, etc etc.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AlexUSMC0311 said:

I have the opportunity to buy a full auto transferable Uzi (reg. Bolt) for the price of $11,000 out the door, i am only 22 and completely new to collecting machine guns, so is this a decent price? the gun looks like it was made yesterday and fired very little if at all. and from those of you who own Uzis, what is the good, the bad, the ugly? the quirks and things you like and dislike about them? thanks all!

rhouston's answer was perfect, I have nothing else to add.

RHouston said it all.

There is nothing wrong with a Registered Bolt...if it runs right and if it is priced right. 

I currently have two Uzi Bolts...one is getting ready to be shipped off for inspection/repair because it doesn't run and the other runs like a cat that has had its ass wiped with turpentine soaked sandpaper. 

If you do get a Registered Bolt...ask what caliber it is. I wanted a 9mm bolt and made a commitment to purchase based on the assumption that it was a 9mm bolt. I found out it was a .45 bolt ten minutes later. A man is only as good as his word, so I remained firm in my commitment to purchase. It has been a trial getting parts for this gun and it is frustrating that it doesn't run like it should. Would I buy this particular bolt again? No. Would I buy my running Registered Bolt again? Absolutely. 

Your Mileage May Vary. Choose wisely.

In Liberty,

Kristopher

You got great answers. Personally I would add I think $11k is high for a reg. bolt gun. In the past two weeks I’ve seen a reg bolt (bolt only) sell for $8.5k, and what looked like a great running Imi host bolt gun sell on here for less then 10. Uzi prices seem to have been falling for the last year. Have you given any thought to the Macs? You’ll save several thousand dollars and w all the aftermarkets, it’ll be almost anything you want it to be. The reising that mike mentioned is a great piece too, and historic, although not quite as versatile. That said, I get get your Uzi lust. I plan on getting one too eventually. 

Nowadays, a machine gun is a machine gun. If you want an Uzi, a bolt gun is still an Uzi. A 9mm is a 9mm. I've been making, buying, selling, trading machine guns since 1985 and if I wanted an Uzi today, a bolt gun wouldn't bother me, even if it were married to a receiver. It's a machine gun.  A machine gun is a machine gun. Sure, I've been holding my breath since 1986 that the Hughes Amendment would go away (33 years later, I'm a really bright shade of blue). Bottom line is, if you want an Uzi, if the price is what you can afford, buy it. 

Edited by Waffen Und Bier

HEY GUYS< DONT GET ME WRONG, I JUMP FOR JOY every time I hear a success story in this trade and MOST OF ALL a TRULY SATISFIED USER.  BUT I refuse to B/S and or change what I have seen with my own eyes. I have a wall of UZI's and have since day one. FACTORY TRANSFERABLES./ REG'td REC'r slotted bolt / REG'td REC'r reg bolt in both mini and full sized. ZERO REG'td bolts. MOST of them don't sit in a safe or hang on the wall, they get pounded! one IMI GUN has been welded at the rear several times. and when one stops working, drop in a NEW PART, NO TWEAKING, DROP IT IN ! there are 3 bolts sitting on the shelf in PHX that have been to all the GUY's PRAISED ON UZI TALK, landed there after failure and  the owners just suffer the loss. REMEMBER HOW HARD IT WAS FOR YOU WHEN YOU FIRST STARTED ? apparently its only mine, but in my opinion ALL YOU HAPPY GUYS  DONT MAKE UP FOR THAT it was OK when the BOLTS WERE HALF OR LESS THAN A RECEIVER, but those days are gone. I have seen a lot of WORKING bolts that don't have the same markings they had at midnight way back in 1986 either. SHOOTING A LOT since 1961, I have only seen 4 machine guns that could not be fixed, ONE M-16 and 3 UZI BOLTS !   UZI TALK, SPREEK ENZI , or any other chat or string of verbiage is just that UNLESS its PROVEN.  ACCEPTANCE  is NOT PROOF and I stand by what I say. this crap is endless IF YOU DONT AGREE WITH MY OPINION , JUST STATE YOUR's and let others decide. after all its only opinion anyhow and exceptions are possible in anything BUT NO, the BANTER MUST GO ON and its ENDLESS. at one of our bigger shoots here on the ranch I invited several MAJOR DEALERS AND COLLECTORS to come along. they came from 3 states and we shot for 4 days. every weapon you can imagine was present but, MOST had variations of HK's with sears along and I listen and watch all the praise back and forth about how good they are NOT ONE EXAMPLE RAN TROUBLE FREE ! one customer came with his dealer to shoot his $39,000.00  MP-5 SD that was pending. it took about 6 to separate them when it failed to complete ONE magazine, BUT EVEN I WONT ARGUE against a HK or a sear, MOST can be fixed its the excuses / back pedaling and stuttering I cant endure .

So you say the Uzi bolts failed?  Please explain how, or have some 8 year old post photos of them in the areas of damage.  I've never seen or heard of any bolt failure, and if so, I can't imagine what damage that occurred and how it could not be repaired?   I've heard of a number of vectors that have blown out the rear of the receiver, but that's about the only real uzi problems I've ever heard of (excepting of course the crooked/ lousy welds on Vectors).   Most of the receivers that have been damaged have not necessarily been the fault of the  receiver itself, but maintenance and other stupid things done by the owners.  After all guns don't shoot people or break themselves, that's ALL human problems.

We're talking about a hunk of steel bar stock, while I'm certain there are a large number of licensed gunsmiths who have problems spraying a gun with a can of spray paint, there's a  bunch of others that have the skills and equipment to make an S18-1000 receiver from scratch.  Repairing an Uzi bolt is closer to the spray can guys.  I think you'll find the spray can guys on the boards, but the serious guys I know have zero web presence and work on referral only.  We have more gunsmithing equipment here than 99% of all 02/07 registered, and it's all for personal use, so just because you can't find someone on uzitalk to fix something correctly, it shouldn't be a surprise, it should be expected.

Again, feel free to post a pic of these "unfixable" hunks of steel.

Edited by johnsonlmg41
  • Like 1

I’m an owner of reg bolt and reg rec Uzis as I described above. I have had a RB “break”. 

Details: mini Uzi RB which was a cut down reg. BG bolt - really crappy too. No way BG did it. Shitty welds w pockets/ditzels - just terrible. And the gun I bought w this abomination of a RB had the thickened speed buffer in it. I shot it a lot but could tell it was beating up the gun. Very violent ultra fast open bolt gun. One day it “jammed” and I peeked inside and those welds had all but broken. I sent it to Andrewski who did a great repair on the bolt and matched it up running nicely again in its host. Maybe a $500 repair- I can’t remember but he did an exc job and had quick turn around too. Now the gun is fine again.

I am the only person I know ( directly , in person ) who has experienced a broken bolt though.

Would I do it all over again? Yeah I would. The RB mini at the time was a great deal ( for obvious reasons!) and I’m a bottom fisher sucker for “cheap” MGs and don’t mind tuning up shitty guns if the price is right. That said I’m getting older and more lazy so maybe I won’t be in that lower quality ring of the MG market anymore.

JOHNSON, NO SPRAY PAINT HERE   but we do use a little for some things. when we do its not that water based stuff made for garden tools and floral displays on a table.we could produce a perfect SA_18 receiver in about a week if need be. we made  couple BREN receivers. about 40 years ago on a BRIDGEPORT TRACER, just to see if it was possible. the main shop has one of the few 12ft gundrill machines operating in the world on a daily basis and 4 more smaller we have all the barrel making tooling from springfield armory and our barrels have won many cats at camp perry and else where we do work for NASA and other's in the high tech trade mainly when the piece count is too small to justify producing it themselves. there are several different FFL's involved many have been continuous since the early 60's and we ALL benefit in one way or the other. someone in the group hold's a sot but we do ALMOST NO outside gun work except for a select long time group of like minded guys that get along and got tired of the long waits and false promises. all this started in the early 60's with a old surplus artillery barrel lathe, $59 sears buzz box and grew from there to CNC mills and LATHES, 6 bridge port mills and 4 LAGUN 16" lathes  THEN THE COMPLETE GUN DRILLING ROOM that supports the operating cost of the entire operation. all the other equipment is for personal fun projects. we also build street rods and restore PERSONAL MUSCLE CARS. the property owner has the largest collection of unrestored HEMI CUDA'S and CHALLENGER'S in private hands in the world! IF not at my business I was in the shop doing something until I moved to TEXAS. I still send parts for work and they bring stuff here for me to work on while they are here. THE 3 UZI BOLTS in question are in for hope full repairs  one has been about 5 years and the others less. they get attention off and on when someone has spare time. PROBLEM? nothing visible to the eye they just wont run a full mag! there are proven hosts allover the place and several registered receivers to use for function. one requires a spl longer extractor its marked B+G but I suspect its been finagled since its origin it came in about 15 months ago after 2 others tried to get it going. it was sold to some ones friend with a action arms host. ITS BEEN A LONG TIME for me personally but if I recall it right. all 3 bolts end up with a STRAIGHT BACKWARDS EMPTY CASE AT THE THROAT most the time. when not its cross ways with the base out. all my involvement now has been via video's and emails  because they are in PHX and I'm in TEXAS. we talk back and forth on spl projects and problems. when I answer these posts from new comers, I have ZERO INTEREST in your or any one else's position or pleasure. my goal is to provide enough info to help them make a decision knowing the other side will get plenty of support from happy folks. I get a kick when many remain unanswered and ignored until I express an opinion then the tread explodes from others that don't agree. no reason to QUOTE ME and reflect thoughts after the fact. just express your opinion and let them judge. I am NOT here to argue or change folks minds that are happy in their own little world just answer a question the BEST way I know how. I can assure ANYONE, I have been there and done that at a level few have managed. those that have wont be on this board in any event. I FIND THIS ENJOYABLE AND WELCOME THE CHANCE TO HELP IF POSSIBLE, I DONT NEED THE STRESS OF DEFENDING MY OPINION AND IF YOU DONT AGREE, STATE YOUR THOUGHTS IF YOU WILL AND LEAVE IT AT THAT.

• Like 1

My thought is there are no problems with the bolts, the problems you describe are with the host guns and my position is still that the bolts are simple and nearly indestructible, but I will have to concede that a mill or bandsaw did initially break RHoustons bolt, so I will clarify that I meant in actual shooting use, the bolts will be fine LOL. Quite frankly with a good price I'd have bought it too knowing it's not a hard fix to reweld a bolt. 

Now you state you've not actually seen the guns, but you assume the bolt is the problem on three separate guns?  That's bad information to put out to new guys since you say the guns still haven't been fixed and you've never actually seen them yet you're assuming the bolt is the problem?   That's not at all helpful to anyone.  If you can invite the guys actually working on them to post their findings that would provide better info.  Generally when I post info the gun is next to me or it's something that I've had in the shop recently, otherwise it's just speculation.

Sorry to also say your springfield armory equipment by today's standards is obsolete.  Locally we have the top barrel makers in the country and none use outdated machinery like that anymore.  I checked the camp perry blogs and no one (winners anyhow) in many years I went back has ever used  a barrel from TX or AZ.   I did not go back to the 70's when equipment like that was producing winners.   I've been to, and know a few key players in that industry even though I have them make machine gun barrels on occasion.  They find it amusing.  You should research barrel makers if you want nice stuff and get it done by the best.  I have CNC cut rifled 308 Bren barrels in the queue right now, turn around is generally a year, but I'm in no hurry and ask that it be a side job. 

No need to feel stressed.

JOHNSON, NO SPRAY PAINT HERE   but we do use a little for some things. when we do its not that water based stuff made for garden tools and floral displays on a table.we could produce a perfect SA_18 receiver in about a week if need be. we made  couple BREN receivers. about 40 years ago on a BRIDGEPORT TRACER, just to see if it was possible. the main shop has one of the few 12ft gundrill machines operating in the world on a daily basis and 4 more smaller we have all the barrel making tooling from springfield armory and our barrels have won many cats at camp perry and else where we do work for NASA and other's in the high tech trade mainly when the piece count is too small to justify producing it themselves. there are several different FFL's involved many have been continuous since the early 60's and we ALL benefit in one way or the other. someone in the group hold's a sot but we do ALMOST NO outside gun work except for a select long time group of like minded guys that get along and got tired of the long waits and false promises. all this started in the early 60's with a old surplus artillery barrel lathe, $59 sears buzz box and grew from there to CNC mills and LATHES, 6 bridge port mills and 4 LAGUN 16" lathes  THEN THE COMPLETE GUN DRILLING ROOM that supports the operating cost of the entire operation. all the other equipment is for personal fun projects. we also build street rods and restore PERSONAL MUSCLE CARS. the property owner has the largest collection of unrestored HEMI CUDA'S and CHALLENGER'S in private hands in the world! IF not at my business I was in the shop doing something until I moved to TEXAS. I still send parts for work and they bring stuff here for me to work on while they are here. THE 3 UZI BOLTS in question are in for hope full repairs  one has been about 5 years and the others less. they get attention off and on when someone has spare time. PROBLEM? nothing visible to the eye they just wont run a full mag! there are proven hosts allover the place and several registered receivers to use for function. one requires a spl longer extractor its marked B+G but I suspect its been finagled since its origin it came in about 15 months ago after 2 others tried to get it going. it was sold to some ones friend with a action arms host. ITS BEEN A LONG TIME for me personally but if I recall it right. all 3 bolts end up with a STRAIGHT BACKWARDS EMPTY CASE AT THE THROAT most the time. when not its cross ways with the base out. all my involvement now has been via video's and emails  because they are in PHX and I'm in TEXAS. we talk back and forth on spl projects and problems. when I answer these posts from new comers, I have ZERO INTEREST in your or any one else's position or pleasure. my goal is to provide enough info to help them make a decision knowing the other side will get plenty of support from happy folks. I get a kick when many remain unanswered and ignored until I express an opinion then the tread explodes from others that don't agree. no reason to QUOTE ME and reflect thoughts after the fact. just express your opinion and let them judge. I am NOT here to argue or change folks minds that are happy in their own little world just answer a question the BEST way I know how. I can assure ANYONE, I have been there and done that at a level few have managed. those that have wont be on this board in any event. I FIND THIS ENJOYABLE AND WELCOME THE CHANCE TO HELP IF POSSIBLE, I DONT NEED THE STRESS OF DEFENDING MY OPINION AND IF YOU DONT AGREE, STATE YOUR THOUGHTS IF YOU WILL AND LEAVE IT AT THAT.

MR JOHNSON while I am always hungry for good information  GENERALLY WHAT YOU DO HAS NO MEANING OR VALUE TOO ME just what you might know.  next to you? they were next to me at the time. but I guess  that only works for YOU? it seems you have decided to take me on and make it PERSONAL FOR SOME REASON and you WANT TO CHALLENGE ME, NO MATTER WHAT I SAY OR DO !  I FIND IT OFFENSIVE AND UNWELCOME! if you don't agree, simply state you opinion and leave it at that. calling me out on specific dates and instances is out of line and demands an answer or I hide in fear. were you a cross walk guard in grade school or are you self appointed board cop? where this comes from I have NO IDEA. I have never  bothered your family or knowingly cheated you. SIMPLY TO SUPPORT MY REPUTATION, THIS ONE TIME I WILL OPENLY RESPOND, then forever hold you in contempt and ignore it in the future. since 1959 I have been blessed to spend time with most of the HOLY GRAIL in the firearms industry. IE; GENE STONER,  GORDON INGRAHM , WERBELL and many more .the NFA and military collection in this room ALL TRANSFERABLE has many examples with less than 10 in the registry (all used often) and is valued at several million.  unlike so many others that spout off and repeat what they found somewhere in a book or on the net, so much info, I kept what I needed up front and let the rest roll off to some unused portion of my mind. ON TOPIC , last week at MORPHY's I bought  the exact FN-manufactured TRANSFERABLE UZI, I shot next to GORDON at POWDER SPRINGS  while he was still with MAC in1970 or 71!   2 OF THE BOLTS in question I PUT EXTENSIVE WORK IN WITH SEVERAL HOSTS. THE FINAL TEST IS IN ONE OF THE LIKE NEW PREMAY SAMPLES. ALL GAVE EXACTLY THE SAME RESULTS. NOT SOME, ALL. that tells even an idiot, the BOLT is the culprit. NOW man with all the answers tell us why. excuse me that's right, you cant because its not next to you. .last trip from ISRAEL (1973/74) I brought 400 plus extractors home with me, no question, they are the real deal.  NO HELP they don't fit . what's next, you have all the answers. the 3rd bolt came after my last trip back, same problem but much worse it only makes 5 rnds at best. and a factory extractor is TOO short to engage the pin. ANSWER? YOU can fix any bolt correct? for how long? as it ran for about 200 rounds when the buyer first received it, I suspect it had a custom fitted altered extractor that gave out. lots of people contact me for one reason or the other , some I listen to other's its just blabber. I have LEARNED NOT TO QUESTION SOME, still listen BUT don't record all the minute details, they are useless to me and I couldn't find them if I wanted.  BILL SUKULLE taught me how to run that old brl machine and several others ALL BETTER than me. dated YES but anything with his name on it can still bring a premium at auction. few still alive even know who he was. its all set up in the shop now but only for personal use. my only interest was creating MG barrels in cals that didn't exist. THE SHOP has an underground 80 yard or so tunnel with a 75 yrd range and I spent a lot of time with the young people and early shooting skills IN 2018 , one of them, now 28 apprx!  called me from CAMP PERRY his name? BRIAN BLAKE, unless he faked his sheets he finished in the lead first and 2nd day of a 3 day event and e mailed those  sheet's . I couldn't understand them but he says he won and that's good enough for me using a 7mm barrel from that old machine. that's the end of it for me, any response will be for others, I wont be reading any more posts of yours, if I get anymore upset , we both just end up looking like jerks. 

On 11/1/2019 at 10:11 PM, AlexUSMC0311 said:

FYI, there was a bolt gun recently listed for $9,700 (which sold fairly quickly):

^^Waffen....ALL Vector/Group receivers were out of spec.- to varying degrees at the time. Most have been repaired or werent bad enough to cause function issues. It's rare to come across one these days that is jacked (although I do know one guy who's had absolute hell w his Group). I'd assume all the minis from Vector were out of spec too as they are cut down full size receivers if I recall. It was a heat treatment issue they had. 

Actually anything that says Vector.  I've had a number of group guns (original group Ind. guns)  and all were just fine and in some cases better than IMI in certain areas.  Anything with Vector stamped on it was made from flats that were incomplete and sold at auction to Vector are the ones you want to look out for.   Back in the day JLM was selling them at 5 for 10K,  and sold hundreds of the thousands that were made (I forgot the total, but it's on the net).  Many of these still sit NIB and pop out of the woodwork at times, some were fine, many were not, so it's a crapshoot as to what you get.  All are fixable if you have the patience and want to mess with stuff like that.  Open bolt subguns do not require a degree in rocket science to repair.

WAFFEN , one need not be wary if you only consider the better side and (god help us it begins again)  as I said from the get go the best choice is a IMI ACTION ARMS REGISTERED RECIEVER ! plenty out here and many still selling at less than the "other" options are listed at. 

• Like 1

RR IMI gun. Get it and send it to BWE and he will make it flawless. Depending on his backlog you may be able to get it worked over by BWE while your dealer is holding it.

BWE brought mine up to full SMG specs and installed a semi feed ramp. Utterly reliable with all forms of ammunition.

• 2 weeks later...

UZI bolts are NOT indestructible.My RR IMI was repaired by BWE a couple years ago when I had an oob in the gun using IMI ammo.The factory IMI bolt split at the slot where the ejector rides ruining said bolt.Having said that if that would have been a registered bolt I would have been screwed.