WTH is going on with surplus ammo and guns?

R.L.

Just got an e flyer from J&G for 7.62x54R ammo...440rnd tins of com bloc ammo $.43 a rnd plus shipping !! I can reload it cheaper than that.

Glad I bought a bunch of  premium Bulgarian circle 10 7.62x54R from  Dan's, when it was only $.12 a rnd, like 40K rnds worth....hee hee. Still have most of it too.

J&G also has Mosin Nagant 91/30's round rec for $300 in "their" VG condition(which is a joke) rating.!!!

If you really wanna laugh, pull up Classic Arms and check out their surplus prices, but don't fall outta your chair laughing.These people are smoking something pretty good I guess.When prices for surplus reach prices of newer more modern firearms, I quit buying.

The good ol' days really are gone due to some greedy re-sellers.

Too bad.

R.L.

Edited by R.L.

Agreed. Ya know the guys at Classic at one time had some nice surplus at reasonable prices. I bought a few things from them years ago that were pretty nice. Good price, good condition. I don't know what happened to them, but they must have caught the disease. Their prices for surplus have become just stupid high. They are selling junk for prices I would never have thought possible. Snake oil salesmen. Lets not forget without the idiot buyers, too anxious to beat out all other buyers to the punch, without them they could not charge such absurd prices. Unfortunately the surplus market has become way to fashionable to find any more bargains, and that extends to tents, generators, cots and the like.

Another good thing from the past...gone.

R.L.

Edited by R.L.
typo

A couple of factors. 1. Surplus often means not produced anymore. 2. Sanctions- some stuff that is out there can't be imported. 3. Demand, if you want something, you'll pay for it. 4. BS-"They don't make'em like they used to". The proper response to that being-" Thank God." 

With fast food jobs at $10-15 and hour, everyone can buy a Mosin, thus increased demand and "limited" supply, therefore increased prices.  Elect Pocahontas and see a temporary spike in prices before the economy crashes and Mosins are back down to $150 at the pawn shops.

If Mosins hit $450 there will be new ones made and shipped and then no one will want the old ones. Heck they are probably making new ones dated 39' already? LOL

BOB my last visit to a public shooting range (pre Obama)  of the 40 stations , 29 had a 91 present and half those had a steel case stuck in the chamber, (I fixed them) so the demand is out there and not that many load that caliber unless pretty dedicated and own several. at the same time J+G in PRESCOTT  was selling a 880 rnd case of that for $37.50 and 720 rnd 8mm for $29.50 by the truck load. after the 2nd they made them both $29.50. I have so much 54r I never paid attention but as the 8 got low was FLOORED by the rise and how fast. I just watched a 440 tin hammer at $158.00 PLUS 15% premium last week and thought that's crazy  .43 is even worse. WOW! if I could give up  all my VICKERS SG-43 and 1910 "s I could sell all the 54r off and have a FORD GT-40 for everyday of the WEEK! maybe 2020 is not looking so bad after all . 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Its simple supply and demand. The market demand sets the price. My local gun store cant keep mosins in stock at 300 to 350. He routinely gets 350 to 900 for sks rifles. Think of all the hoarders out there. I have over 100, 000rds of ammunition and just bought another 5000rds on black friday. What good are guns without ammunition! The days of cheap surplus are gone. Most of the countries that used to sell it are now using it themselves because they are in a war, or are shipping it to other countries that are in a war. 40 to 50 cents a rd is cheap compared to what new ammunition costs. I buy as much as i can. 

Ya know old guys just hate change, and like the good ol' days. And yes some of the past were good ol days...some. Just not my last 3 wives though. Could have retired at 50 if I would have just refrained from taking home the smokin' hot Eastern European gash.

Remember this young men: divorce is the fxxkin' you get, for the fxxckin' you got.

Oh well....got a good ol' American wife now.

Just took a while to find one.

R.L.

Edited by R.L.