AR-15 Lower not a receiver?

Austringer

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/the-atfs-definition-of-an-ar-15-lower-as-a-firearm-is-in-serious-trouble/?fbclid=IwAR37uokPFD1ylFv0rbWWbXn14fodL22_1Jk7flAmv5T-2N4cjZO8keaq2yU

Does this mean I can drill and install an auto sear parts in the lower of a AR-15 and not have a MG receiver since an AR-15 lower is technically and legally not a receiver?  Oh the fun that can be had with this...  Looks like a wide open loophole for legal conversions of AR-15 lowers... :-)

Edited by Austringer

I noticed there was no mention of FEE'S paid to "WIN" this magical case. the fact that he WAS CONVICTED AND subject to detention AND that was dropped tells a huge story. I know of several cases mainly since 68-GCA went into law that were dropped with much more potent charges. the govt's main goal is to get the charges on record then the games begin and they go BOTH WAYS. in this thread it was said he was arrested after doing build parties. maybe the govts case was strong enough for a conviction but weak in stature?  when the ARMALITE 18 AND 180 FIRST WAS PRODUCED, BECAUSE THE UPPER HELD THE SEAR IT WAS THE RECEIVER AND THE LOWER NOT MARKED, THEN THEY CHANGED BECAUSE THE LOWER HELD THE HAMMER AND MORE FIRE CONTROL PARTS AND THERE IT REMAINED. BY GATHERING SEVERAL EXAMPLES AND SWITCHING PARTS , "SOMEONE" CREATED  2 180'S WITH NO SERIAL NUMBER AT ALL AND THEY MUST BE FLOATING AROUND SOMEWHERE TO THIS DAY?  UNTIL A JUDGE WRITES A JUDGEMENT THAT WILL BE A RULE OF LAW, I WILL CONSIDER THE ATF THE ONLY EXPERTS ON WHAT IS AND WHAT ISNT FOR ME AND MY TOYS. ALL THESE MIRACLE CASES NEED TO BE FILED RIGHT WITH ALL THE SO CALLED CONSPIRICY CASES SO THE TWEAKERS KIND FIND THEM AND GROVEL TOGETHER IN JOY.   THUMPY YOU BEST JUST IGNORE THAT POST!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mike todd said:

THUMPY YOU BEST JUST IGNORE THAT POST!

*thumpy then taking advice from a wiser man slowly puts his bin of 80% paper weights and m16 jig and mill back in to storage.....

hahaha 10-4 not even clicking on it hahaha

• Like 2

My Dutch made Portuguese AR10 had the serial number on the upper and none on the lower. Seller sent me the upper and my dealer the lower. Dealer called me in a panic, because the lower with no SN arrived at his shop. It had a mag well, fire control parts (including an auto sear) and the happy hole (not a bit different than an M16), but no SN. I brought him the upper to make him happy. 

Just noticed that I'm a Lt. Col. now. At last, I'm somebody! Thanks, Dave!

Edited by Waffen Und Bier
  • Like 1

It is curious that the Hollywood and early Dutch AR10 MG's were serialized on the lower and only the later Dutch guns (Portuguese Model) were serialized only on the upper.  I think it is because the lowers tended to crack (fail) more often than the uppers.

The first few dozen Costa Mesa Armalite AR18 MG's were serialized on the upper.  The first hundred Howa Armalite AR18 MG's were also serialized on the upper.  But those Howa's were converted at the factory into semi-autos.  I recall the AR18 design had the sear hang from the upper with the hammer and trigger junk in the lower.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 6:43 PM, tobrooks said:

THUMPER, KNEW IT JUST COULDNT RESIST. these days I just cant wait to see what you dug up to learn. I love it  mike

Thumpy be careful Mike schooled me and still is. The next thing I know I had a belt feed :) And I LOVE  it!!!!

Haha yes sir ole boy hahaha Mike’s a great guy. And since we are talking about beltfed haha a few DMs back between me an mike that’s what came up hahahah next year I’m looking at grabbing most likely a 1919.... witch beltfed did you end up going with ? How’s she running any tips tricks have you picked up on them since owning one your self you care to pass on?

11 hours ago, Thumpy said:

Haha yes sir ole boy hahaha Mike’s a great guy. And since we are talking about beltfed haha a few DMs back between me an mike that’s what came up hahahah next year I’m looking at grabbing most likely a 1919.... witch beltfed did you end up going with ? How’s she running any tips tricks have you picked up on them since owning one your self you care to pass on?

I ended up with an HK21. That thing is a beast!!!   Mike will make you get out of them 'short pants' :)

• 3 weeks later...

I JUST NOTICED THE THREAD JUMPED TO AR-10's concerning serial placement. I was very active at FAIRCHILD when they were doing the AR-10's and had the pleasure of meeting MR STONER o few times. numbering uppers at FAIRCHILD was common and when you think about things before any rulings LOGICAL. how can you have a firearm without a barrel? or a place for the bolt? those thoughts carried well into the ARMALITE 18 days and uppers were serialized. the first time I noticed a lower numbered was after 180 semi's started shipping. since then I have not been able to get anything in writing concerning 18 uppers without submitting a sample.

• Like 1