Ran in to my first scammer in the nfa world

Thumpy

I am rather new to the nfa world as some of you know. An so far all my dealing have gone very smooth and professional with every individual I’ve down business with so far I’m met very honesty people with high integrity witch is how I was raised to be honest and have morals.... Unlike this pos scamming fuc..... 

End of last week begging of this week a man on Instagram who supposedly owns a gun shop in my state of Missouri offered me a sten I said yes sir I’m interested in any legal transferable fullauto what are you asking for it?

He says 4500 I’ve had it for years got it from a guys private collection.

I said send pics of the gun and form3 or 4 when you get a chance.

he sends me a bunch of pics of the gun said he’d send pic of the form tomorow

I said sounds good 

the next day came and I hit him up rather early I suppose, saying hey since your only couple hrs from me can we set up a time for me to come out and inspect the gun and test fire it.

He goes yes that’s no problem  btw I have to fix the form there’s some mistakes 

i then asked him mistakes is it like amnesty registered or something?(because I’ve herd those seem to have lots of mistakes blahblahblah an also wanted to give him more money if it was a amnesty registered gun because they are normally worth more from what I’ve seen...) then I made it clear again I only would want it if it’s a transferable machinegun 

he says it is don’t worry I’ll work on getting it fixed

2 days later he posted a video to his Instagram account of it firing I messaged him and said welp I see that it fires and runs good I’d like to purchase it

he then says okay great how do you plan to pay blahblahblah 

I then said sir if you don’t mind may I see a pic that form 3 or 4 before we go to much further and also have my ffl talk to you about shipping it an the transfer so every ones on the same page 

he then goes okay no problem btw the paper work will say it’s a sbr...

i then say so it’s not a legally transferable mg?

he then says no it’s is legal 

I then said how would it be a legal mg if it is transferring as a sbr

he said yup it’s a sbr you just have to remove 1 pin an it will fire fullauto.

this has had me heated all dam day. 

....  the worst part about this whole thing is when he blocked me I lost all the messages and can’t find his account name... so please be carful if any one from Missouri offers you a sten I’ve made another Instagram account trying to track him down no luck so far...

i do wana thank all you wiser (older) fellas for taking me under your wings and kinda coaching me in what to do and how to do transfers you all just saved me 4500 bucks plus the legal fees I would of had to pay for beating the shit out of him for scamming me.... so thank you all...

I will post his name if I find his account again

• Like 1

Has anyone ever actually been scammed by Mark Mann? I bought a HK host and sear from him and he did everything he was supposed to do, and actually some things that were an added expense to him that he could've required me to pay. I know he got into trouble with ATF, which is not hard to do, and don't know that that would be considered a scam, but I have to wonder if the fact that he is disabled, and has to rely on others, may have been a factor. At the time of our dealings, he told me that it was a problem for him to find people he could depend on in his business operations. I don't think it's fair to label someone a scammer without providing supporting details. 

8 hours ago, Gila Ben said:

Has anyone ever actually been scammed by Mark Mann? I bought a HK host and sear from him and he did everything he was supposed to do, and actually some things that were an added expense to him that he could've required me to pay. I know he got into trouble with ATF, which is not hard to do, and don't know that that would be considered a scam, but I have to wonder if the fact that he is disabled, and has to rely on others, may have been a factor. At the time of our dealings, he told me that it was a problem for him to find people he could depend on in his business operations. I don't think it's fair to label someone a scammer without providing supporting details. 

Yes he scammed me on a Sterling MK5. Took the payment, strung me out and never had the gun. Went to prison owing me a gun he should have produced literally years before he went to jail. I have the sales receipt for the gun that says paid in cash.  Sounds like you bought his bullshit story. 

Sorry to hear you lost your money, that's not good. Like I said, he did right by me and this is the first I've heard of anyone having a problem. I've had a couple of deals with others that had me nervous, but things worked out okay. Again, sorry you had a bad deal, he seemed okay. 

• Like 1

I thought he was ok too when I first met him. After getting the run around and hearing him blame everyone he could for his problems it became pretty obvious the truth was lost somewhere. He also tried to sell me military thermal weapon sight that seemed like a to good to be true offer. I told him thanks but I did not want it in my possession should the rightful owners come looking for the thing.

Ironically the only time Ive been scammed in my 20 yrs of NFA was from a dealer in VA who listed a crap pile of parts and ammo in a lot as a paid ad on Subguns. Ad was legit looking as was the correspondence. $1200 worth of crap I think. usually I'm a bit more leery but on this one I didnt ask for the Buddy approved proof of life photo , etc.  Well he never delivered after I paid. 

Ends up he himself has lost his FFL , was well known as a shit bag, and went to prison. I forgot his name. This was prolly 10 yrs ago.

Other than that episode I've had nothing but solid deals- well, with the exception of the deal made and then later the seller contacts me to tell me they made a mistake and have already sold the Dragunov, etc , etc...

THUMPY, I LEARNED LONG AGO (sigh , too long)  In any transaction, NOT JUST NFA! AT THE FIRST SIGN OF A "BACK PEDDLE" , drop it like it stung ya and DONT LOOK BACK!  the sharks depend on us to be anxious they know what it does to us. when you first appeared, I looked forward to your next inquiry, they all made sense and it looked like you had a firm commitment. you have come a long way since you first hit the  threads and soon it will be YOU helping others break the bonds of boredom. just avoid the flash and glitter, try to stay humble and positive. remember the trepidation about transfer time when you sent those forms in for the REISING?  I see it ended up less than 90 days. hooray for you!   CHEERS

• Like 1