BCG configuration for lightning link

Miacovet

Miacovet, PLEASE don't be offended as I understand their place now, BUT "back in the day" when they first appeared on the scene and b-4 folks registered them like all auto sears, folks I knew just "tweaked" the trip by bending to get the timing right ? when I encountered the first example in use, I was perplexed why it was used rather than the typical "drop in" you could buy at any event. so I never looked at them again, or had any interest. NOW YOU have "tweaked" MY mind and I am curious with "need to know"  please explain why when and what if you can. thank you MIKE TODD

flathead, that's what I thought! must it have the unshrouded firing pin or ? If I remember it right they were just using them in the middle 70's SP-1 that had the shroud. of course if that works the early one will also. funny thing the "paper clip" work for in ALL of them and never failed, so the links went away. I never paid much attention too them at the time we were getting factory select fire 614's for $260 landed so who cared? THANX MIKE

I’m a little late here, but any gunsmith with a mill (I would assume most good ones) should be able to the work.  The rear bottom area of the carrier needs to be cut so it’s square and so it’s ~0.380” to ~0.390” long.  I told my smith 0.385” for a few carriers I had converted, expecting him not to be dead on, and was correct in that assumption.  However, despite the variances, they all work fine.

Young Machine also sells carriers that are good to go out of the box.  The below link is for a complete carrier (a little expensive to me), but they also sell stripped carriers for ~$70:

https://youngmanufacturing.net/product/ym-sp-1-m16-bolt-carrier-complete-phosphate-or-chrome/

Good luck.  And feel free to PM if you have any other questions   I don’t check the discussion section of this board very often.

So I both have a 416 and an RLL.  I wouldn’t personally use the RLL in the 416 because of the violent recoil impulse.  I would be afraid it would break it.  If you haven’t bought an RLL yet and really, really want to run it with a 416, I would look at an RDIAS myself.

Cutting to SP1 spec should be easy.  Like I said, I would think any gunsmith with a mill could do it.

Timing is also very easy.  Just get a couple of paddles and let the bolt slam on them a la quarterbore’s website’s description on how to test timing.  Really it’s not hard at all.

Finally, I don’t think you need to add weight back to the bolt carrier unless you wany the exact same rate of fire.  The difference for me was like 16 grams if I remember right?  Vs. like a 250 gram bolt carrier?  Would have to measure again.

Happy to answer more, but on phone so typing takes a while, so the short descriptions.

Sir now that Joe has retired I've been doing lots of lightning link work.  Cutting a bolt is no problem I also have new paddles.  I personally own 2 registered links and have post sample exact copies I use for testing setups. I also releve the receivers as well.  Also have fm9 working with a link and ar10.

Do not bother bending paddles and such that is not correct thing to do if your bolt is correct and the proper relief in reciever it should be plug and play with the thin or thick paddle.  Bending and tweaking can result in a out of battery fire if you dont know what you are doing.

Feel.free to pm me or email of you have any questions

John ciszek 07sot

Jecayc@hotmail.com