Advice for first time Buyer please!

AlexUSMC0311

I have recently decided to take the plunge and buy my 1st MG. I have decided on something historical such as an STG-44, Thompson, or maybe a Maxim/Vickers. I am only 22 so I have practically zero experience in this field. is all of the paperwork something to be scared of or is it just a little more red tape? Which of those guns listed would be best to last or if there are some that aren't listed what are some other good choices? and how could i best go about finding one for sale for a good price? and is the process of buying one from out of state harder than ins state or just different? thanks in advance!

The paperwork is the paperwork-no big deal at all.  As long as you aren't a criminal or a crazy person, it should be no big deal.  Generally, if you can pass a NICS check to buy a regular gun, you can pass the NFA background check.  All of the guns mentioned are going to be expensive-with the STG-44 probably being the most expensive because they are not nearly as common as the others mentioned.  Thompsons are easy to come by and can be had for around $20k.  A Maxim or Vickers wouldn't be super expensive(Maxims are usually cheaper)-but there is a lot that goes into getting an old beltfed like that up and running and keeping it running-plus there is a lot of stuff that you have to take to the range with you.  Maybe look into a Sterling-they are very smooth shooting guns and 9mm ammo is cheap-and they are historical.  As for buying from out of state-it means an extra transfer and extra time-and possibly an extra $200 transfer tax if it is coming from an individual seller in another state-but the transfer process is basically the same-just with more transfers involved...

I would suggest your first gun being more modern. The older historic guns can have age related problems. All thompsons are not created equally & the prices dictate that. Having a gun you can shoot & enjoy beats one that your constantly working on to keep running.

AHH< AGAIN THE EVERLASTING QUESTION REARS ITS GNARLY HEAD!  WHAT AND WHY! for the newcomer. the motivation for the plunge is a good place to start. if wanting to shoot and no interest in the history or mechanical wonder/ beauty of the machine then a modern weapon with a good reputation and easy ammo comes to mind , like an UZI if pistol caliber is sufficient, many choose the MAC , but I find it a little wild as a first . in pistol cal UZI reg'td receiver is first. A GOOD REISING is 2nd. if not and a rifle cal fits then first choice would be an AR platform . if funds are tight then the AC .556 is a god sub.  AFTER THAT, it gets a little harder and many of the "older" designs, still make PERFECT SENSE. when choosing a belt fed, where your historical interests lie should be considered.  for me more than 70% of the JOY of stewardship is touching/ looking and working with the weapon. this is a constant and shooting trips will be few by comparison. so what do you like at a first glance? SUPPORT IS OF MAJOR CONCERN! the BROWNING GUNS AND THE VICKERS are pretty close to each other in ease of mait/ parts and cost. parts for the MAXIMS can be very hard to find. for me, nothing beats the VICKERS in a corner on the mount.  a 1919 Browning will be the easiest to use, IE; no water but not near the "curb appeal". both are easy to load for and for a while ammo is still out there. I use the 7.62 x 54 in both but you will find .308 to be most abundant and both run well with it. in 60 yrs doing this, the questions and answers have always been the same and EVERYONE will have their own favorite's and reasons as it should be. to get the MOST out of the experience don't loose yourself in the shuffle. once you make the decision then talk to as many REPUTABLE PEOPLE as you can b-4 you buy. THIS WAS A GOOD PLACE TO START!  GOOD LUCK and ENJOY mike

• Like 1

My first MG purchase was a Sten Mk. II when I was 26.

The Sten is as ugly as sin, but it has a relatively low purchase cost, is relatively cheap to shoot, spare parts are easily acquired, and it has historical significance. 

In retrospect, it was the perfect starter MG for me.

Your mileage may vary from mine.

In Liberty,

Kristopher

My suggestion would be a nice MP40 tube gun by either Wilson or Erb. I have owned an Erb tube gun and it was the cat's ass and I have shot a Wilson tube gun also great. The prices on C&R MP40s seems to be dropping so maybe you could pick up a nice one in the 18k range or so. They are too much fun. I assure you that you would love it. You would also need to buy a parts kit as parts can be a bit of a challenge.

Nice to meet you Alex! I just turned 23 in May it’s good to see other young people getting in to mgs! I have 4 a ac556 a m10/9 and a m10 in 45 and a reising m50 and I can tell you you can’t go wrong with them! But I would say the m10 would probably be your best bet to buy since it’s your first mg lots of parts and after market support for them throw a lage upper on it and you’ll have a completely different gun! I love my ac556 tho... but parts are kinda hard to find so it’s one of those things... the m10 in 9 or 45 you can’t go wrong with plus there still pretty cheap! Can find them for around 7k easy! Good luck and welcome to the form man the guys here are all wonderful and have helped me in the last few months with my purchase a lot of knowledge here between all of them!

I totally AGREE with all you STEN lovers out there, but for some reason forget to mention it when asked the first gun question. maybe because there are so many bad builds out there, who know's but when done right a good first gun. a MAIN issue with them is MAGAZINES a LOT OF JUNK out there, but usually a new spring gets most back in shape. over the years, I have found the mags with the chrome followers to be almost trouble free and an easy thing to spot. one of my best shooters was a sten spin off in 45 acp I set it up with a vert mag housing that took grease gun mags. WISH I HAD IT BACK!

Alex,

Welcome to the full auto world. Since you like vintage weapons I would suggest getting a C&R (Curios & Relics) license. This license only cost $30 for 3 years and allows you to buy vintage machine guns from dealers or private parties and have them shipped directly to you. Its a Federal Firearm License for collectors. It is easy to attain and usually takes 4-6 weeks to get one. You can buy any other guns that are at least 50 years old or on the C&R list which you can find online. I would also suggest using Silencer Shop to do the paperwork for the transfers. They make it super easy to do. You can buy the tax stamp directly from them. They have kiosks in many guns shop where you can upload your fingerprints into the system. You then avoid paying someone for the service. They have a minimal charge and I have used them for my last 2 transfers.  Whatever gun you decide to buy I promise you will have a lot of fun! Good luck!

Edited by SavageM1Thompson

GREAT ADVICE ON THE C+R ! it will come in handy if you choose an original gun for your first purchase or add one in the future. the last individual I know of got his approval in 103 days from mailing. almost all the REISINGS will qualify and unless you stumble on a bargain other models will exceed $11k. someone stole an original sten today for less than $7k ! the license will break the ice with the paperwork and is easy to maintain with little official obligation to worry about. UN LIKE ALL other Federal Firearms license, when/if you drop it you simply destroy all your records and you save a $200 transfer with all out of state C+R buys.  don't let the recent transfer times scare you off much.  recently I had a form 4 clear in 5 months ! it IS getting better . most importantly JOIN US!  we need the strength and comradeship.