Thumpy

Is there really only 179,000 or so transferable’s

14 posts in this topic

Hey fellas I was wondering do you really think there is only ~179,000 transferable mgs out there or do you think there’s more? I kinda feel like there’s got to be more out there then that the atf just for some reason have them accounted for properly but yea I figured I’d ask some of your folks wiser on this subject what your beliefs/opinions where.

Probably less if you count guns that have become contraband, or were damaged beyond repair over the years. Then you have guns that are registered to people long since dead with questionable status. So over time there is attrition. Eventually they will wear out. Then again the way things are going they may go the way of bumpstocks and become contraband. Who knows. 

I JUST DONT SEE ANY WAY THAT much change will be tolerated in the "basic" firearms laws, BUT I do predict SEVERAL big chunks will be bitten off. if something happens to the NFA registry, machine guns will only increase in another category that gets little attention these days. PERSONAL SAMPLES!

I only accept postal money orders. contact me DIRECTLY before sending any funds                                           email  myoldiron@outlook.com        

I would love to have a breakdown of the number of transferable MGs are out there sorted by type/category/config, etc. Does this info exist anywhere?

example:

Colt SP1: x,xxx

Colt M16A1: xx,xxx

Polytech/SWD AK (7.62): xxx

Vector/Group Uzi: x,xxx

etc, etc. 

The biggest collectors of transferable machine guns are the ATF, FBI, ( just to name just two Fed agencies with confiscatory powers) and local Law Enforcement. Guns that the Feds seize don't regularly come back into circulation.

179K in current circulation? Seriously doubt that!

On 7/25/2019 at 2:38 AM, Charles Cox said:

Probably less if you count guns that have become contraband, or were damaged beyond repair over the years. Then you have guns that are registered to people long since dead with questionable status. So over time there is attrition. Eventually they will wear out. Then again the way things are going they may go the way of bumpstocks and become contraband. Who knows. 

Local Sheriff deputy who is also a MG owner told me that 2 MGs are in the bottom of Lake Hartwell. Guys wife got pissed at her husband grabbed 2 MK760 or similar and threw them in the lake at night. 

Happened years ago, she was punished from what I remember him saying. 

Either way there are 2 right there no longer in circulation. 

Two less MK 760's - no big loss to the NFA community. Too bad he didn't have a West Hurley collection!

Hello, new to forums.  at least asking questions. What are PERSONAL SAMPLES? Thanks for all the information you guys talk about. I'm afraid there's not very many young people in this arena and we need good information from all the seasoned mg owners out here.

Thanks 

I think what you mean are Pre-Samples. Those are guns that ONLY Class 3 dealers can possess.  Pretty sure they can keep them once their license expires. They are not for mere mortals like you or I. What you want to look for is something that is fully transferable. Those unfortunately are the most expensive. And remember buy what you like because you like it because if you are buying it as an investment you will be sorely disappointed.

NOPE, the term "PERSONAL SAMPLES" is 100 % correct! and they are controlled by an entirely separate registry  NONE! while I don't use or suggest that class and play the game forced on us by the NFA.  PERSONAL SAMPLES have always been with us and always will. I suspect the numbers have grown recently and the category may become dominate following the 2020 debacle

I only accept postal money orders. contact me DIRECTLY before sending any funds                                           email  myoldiron@outlook.com        

I love the term "Personal Samples". 

There is a subgun manufacturer in Georgia that makes 99 new guns a year from tubes that were manufactured and registered prior to the 1986 May ban.  He adds about 100 guns a year into circulation.

1 hour ago, RogerD said:

There is a subgun manufacturer in Georgia that makes 99 new guns a year from tubes that were manufactured and registered prior to the 1986 May ban.  He adds about 100 guns a year into circulation.

Are you talking about Jim Wilson? Technically built or not they are already on the registry.

Here are the numbers and this is from BATFE: So the count is pretty close at 175,977 transferrable.

The following information corresponds to your request for an exact count of transferrable pre 86 machineguns, post May 86 machineguns, and sale sample machineguns, registered in the National Firearms Registration Transfer Record System (NFRTR).

Restricted 922(o)        297,667

Sales Samples               17,020

Pre 86                          175,977

NFA Investments and www.investmentguns.com

FFL/SOT Class III (63) Dealer in Portland, OR. Since 2005 

Cell #’s 503-720-2280 or escheid@comcast.net

Heckler & Koch weapons, Colt M16’s and Pre 86 Dealer Sample weapons.

All items posted for sale, are in inventory and NFA items are on Form 3’s ready for transfer.