Plainfield Machine Co M2

Thumpy

Hey fellas I was wondering if any of you knew much about this company and there m2 carbines? Are they good quality? What’s a fair price for one? Have you had/seen/herd of any problems with them? Thank you all again in advanced for the help!

• Like 1

THUMPY , the M-2 carbine is one of my "fav's" and like the Reising , there has always been at least one shooter in the rack. I cant tell you how to determine which variation your looking at, but they made one that is an exact duplicate of the USGI gun and will take GI parts which is a decent gun. the other later gun has a "skeleton" op rod, and is not the same quality of the early guns which I would avoid.  ALL my early PLAINFIELD guns were fine and held up great. the "skeleton" op rod will have a slot open all the way where the lug on the BOLT travels, AVOID unless very cheep! maybe someone out there can help you with a serial number range or other way to ID so you can avoid any trouble. FOR SURE, YOU WOULD ONLY WANT ONE THAT WILL TAKE ALL USGI PARTS !! IN THE 60'S THE CARBINE WAS ONE OF MY FAV'S AND I ALWAYS HAD ONE IN THE TRUCK.. I still own close to fifty carbines and still take one out OFTEN ! wish I could help you I.D. it better but there are just too many shooters in the rack and me head is getting too old . maybe someone out there can help? if you get one, DONT BUY ANY AMMO LOOSE MARKED LC69 ! there is a bunch of AMMO the CHINESE were sending to the PHILIPINES for insurgents and its all head stamped LC-69 made by the CHINESE, CORR and DANGEROUS. do not buy ANY carbine AMMO MARKED LC69 unless in ORIGINAL USGI BOXES!!!

I have heard mixed things about Plainfield and Iver Johnson M2 Carbines.  

If the price is right for you, I'd say go for it. A few years ago I missed out on a $4800 Iver Johnson M2 because I listened to all the crap talked about them. Some other guy swooped right in and bought it. At the time and Iver Johnsons were selling for about $6.5k. Never again...:D

In Liberty,

KH

ETA: http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbines.html

Edited by MontanaRenegade86

RENEGADE, YES THERE ARE GOOD EXAMPLES OUT  "THERE" ,  BUT I would bet that for every "good one" there are 4 or MORE baduns. I can assure you that MOST of the early guns from  CARBINE commercial mfgr's  NOT to include those made by national ordnance that take the GI parts will hold up close to a USGI with heavy use. I have seen many "HORROR" examples in the later guns with those skeleton op rod examples leading the way to the heap.  at one time I had close too 2 hundred carbines and my "goal" was one of everything made, no matter when what why or where and a shot the tar out of them.  when the GCA- 68 took effect, the carbine was TREASURY'S MAIN TARGET so I decided to get rid of most . however I still have several and shoot them most trips too the range. I STILL SUGGEST A WORD OF CAUTION , INVOLVING A REG'TD RECEIVER.

21 hours ago, mike todd said:

I STILL SUGGEST A WORD OF CAUTION , INVOLVING A REG'TD RECEIVER.

I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment. 

At the end of the day, a registered receiver is going to be more prone to damage than something like a registered M2 trigger group. 

In Liberty,

KH

HH to answer your question, I looked at the pics of the gun. I don't have any mfg'r date or serial no listing to determine when it was made, but it looks like one of the "middle" run guns when they stopped using surplus parts . if so it is all cast and some can be pretty rough, not the best of the series. also that price would suggest I am correct because it is still available.  in full auto the carbine will break the ear off an early bolt with much use and I ran them in all my commercial guns as a safety valve in case an issue came up with the ammo I was using. keep in mind back then I averaged more than 1500 rnds a week in my M-2's ammo was cheep and I loved the design.when .223 got cheap is when I made a change and left them home at times. its a hard call but if you stay diligent and hold on to your funds it will be easy to get an ORIGINAL USGI for close to that amount maybe even a little less if you time it right. I have seen them hammer at just over $6k and above in the past year or so.

HH to answer your question, I looked at the pics of the gun. I don't have any mfg'r date or serial no listing to determine when it was made, but it looks like one of the "middle" run guns when they stopped using surplus parts . if so it is all cast and some can be pretty rough, not the best of the series. also that price would suggest I am correct because it is still available.  in full auto the carbine will break the ear off an early bolt with much use and I ran them in all my commercial guns as a safety valve in case an issue came up with the ammo I was using. keep in mind back then I averaged more than 1500 rnds a week in my M-2's ammo was cheep and I loved the design.when .223 got cheap is when I made a change and left them home at times. its a hard call but if you stay diligent and hold on to your funds it will be easy to get an ORIGINAL USGI for close to that amount maybe even a little less if you time it right. I have seen them hammer at just over $6k and above in the past year or so.