Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thumpy

What do I need to know about mk760

Location:

15 posts in this topic

Hey fellas Monday I might be making a trip to look at one want to know if there’s anything I should look for to determine if it’s a good gun or not my experience w tube guns and sub guns is very limited so have no idea what I’m looking at and how to judge value of it.... also what’s the going rate for mk760 I’m not saying asking price but the avg actual sell price? Have you owned one? What was your experience with it like? I’ve read great things about the gun and then I’d herd horrible things about the guns. Thanks fellas in advanced for your time and wisdom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DONT ! when you asked it told the story. they do make great "toys" and are enjoyable to use, BUT they will require a solid "FIDDLE KNOWLEDGE" to keep one going and the tools to do it. at the bare minimum you will need a close friend with the tools and knowledge. parts are soft / many examples out of spec/ others "BUBBA 'D UP and getting a good one is very rare. a very good friend of mine made one perfect and it ran like a champ 3 yrs ago he sold it the owner has had it maybe 10 months and he has driven my friend insane with issue's get a POWDER SPRINGS or RPB- INGRAM M-10 or a REISING . same money no issue's .the REISING has been a part of my collection more than 50 yrs and I have NEVER broken a part. I have bulged a bunch of barrels using cast reloads and just kept on using them as is . you cant go wrong!  hell i'm going to go shoot one of mine RIGHT NOW!


I only accept postal money orders. contact me DIRECTLY before sending any funds                                           email  myoldiron@outlook.com        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uhhhh, listen up, I am going to tell you everything you need to know about the MK760. Are you listening? DON't EVER THINK OF BUYING ONE!!! They are nothing but trouble. Ask me how I know. I owned one and could never get it to run right. I tried different clips, different ammo, finally, I sold it to a guy but told him hey, you will need to tinker with this because it doesn't run right. He told me he was very handy and could get it to run. He never did get it to run right. If you want a good, fun, and RELIABLE gun get yourself a nice Powder Springs Mac 10 in 9mm or 45. You will love it. You will NEVER love the MK760. Hope this helps and please listen. Take care, Haenelistklasse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mike todd said:

DONT ! when you asked it told the story. they do make great "toys" and are enjoyable to use, BUT they will require a solid "FIDDLE KNOWLEDGE" to keep one going and the tools to do it. at the bare minimum you will need a close friend with the tools and knowledge. parts are soft / many examples out of spec/ others "BUBBA 'D UP and getting a good one is very rare. a very good friend of mine made one perfect and it ran like a champ 3 yrs ago he sold it the owner has had it maybe 10 months and he has driven my friend insane with issue's get a POWDER SPRINGS or RPB- INGRAM M-10 or a REISING . same money no issue's .the REISING has been a part of my collection more than 50 yrs and I have NEVER broken a part. I have bulged a bunch of barrels using cast reloads and just kept on using them as is . you cant go wrong!  hell i'm going to go shoot one of mine RIGHT NOW!

 thanks mike for your advice I’m going to be looking at his reising instead I bought a rpb mac10 afew weeks ago figure want to buy another one so in a year I can play with two diffrent mgs vs buying one and then waiting a whole another year befor I get my 3rd one I hate the wait times man honestly thank you again for your time and story about your experiences w them probably saved me some time and a lot of headaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Schmeisser Guy said:

Uhhhh, listen up, I am going to tell you everything you need to know about the MK760. Are you listening? DON't EVER THINK OF BUYING ONE!!! They are nothing but trouble. Ask me how I know. I owned one and could never get it to run right. I tried different clips, different ammo, finally, I sold it to a guy but told him hey, you will need to tinker with this because it doesn't run right. He told me he was very handy and could get it to run. He never did get it to run right. If you want a good, fun, and RELIABLE gun get yourself a nice Powder Springs Mac 10 in 9mm or 45. You will love it. You will NEVER love the MK760. Hope this helps and please listen. Take care, Haenelistklasse

Hahaha 10-4 man haha allready have the Mac checked off my list guna probably grab the reising. Thank you for taking the time to save me from a mistake lol man from the sounds of it the mk760 is a pile of dog sh!t honestly from your all’s experiences 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PILE OF DOG SHIT?  I wouldn't go that far to describe most any NFA device except maybe those PLASTIC TECH 9'S.  ANYTHING STEEL CAN BE FIXED and made to run but you best have the equipment, time and desire.  hell , I have built water cooled belt feds and put 'MISTING SPRAY NOZZLES in broken jackets cuz I loved to "play" around a the challenge. that's why I did so much with the odd calibers in the 1919 /'17 browning. you know 38spl and .410 shotgun and the like.   BUT< GOD help you if you have to pay someone. I have "JUNGLE WORKSHOP" skill level and always pay for precision work by people that CAN do the work.  EVEN this past year I lost more than $5k trying to get a long range rifle built. I SPENT $700 at SHILEN for an air gauged BLANK after paying $2k to the first builder that put a off center chamber in it. the GOOD BUILDER refused to complete  any repairs because the bore had a tight spot 11 inches from the muzzle. who wants a 15" barreled CREEDMORE?


I only accept postal money orders. contact me DIRECTLY before sending any funds                                           email  myoldiron@outlook.com        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks mike and haenelistklasse I took your all’s advice and bought the reising monday. Thank you both for the guidance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't agree with some of the posters. I bought a NIB, Irvine Ca. made MK760. Welds are nice, the stock locks up tight and the finish is great. It runs like it should and I haven't had any issues with it. Granted there are horror stories (minor and major) about them, but for the most part so do other guns. It comes down to how much time, desire or money you want to spend associated, to either fix them or to find spare parts. I have a complete, brand new spare parts kit for the gun if there any issues, to include extra barrels, extractors, recoil springs and a new SMG lower. I also have a SG9 suppressor made by Southern Machine Tool and Die to compliment my MK. The good thing is that spare parts for the 76 series are being made by Richard Hoffman of BWE Firearms. No regrets here.

P.S. I also did the same thing with my "S" series Reising. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

read between the lines of my post if you will.  as I stated I too feel there is a legit place for the 760, BUT it takes a certain frame of mind to "play" with one and if you can get it done without using a full cost repair service,its worth a shot. BUT don't go into one without knowing about all the shortfalls. SOFT PARTS are common, out of spec IS COMMON and its just not going to last with any HEAVY USE unless you keep up with it. sadly too many first timers are drawn to them due to the low cost and vendors anxious to make a sale "sometimes" don't tell the whole story.


I only accept postal money orders. contact me DIRECTLY before sending any funds                                           email  myoldiron@outlook.com        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2019 at 5:12 PM, maschinenpistole said:

I don't agree with some of the posters. I bought a NIB, Irvine Ca. made MK760. Welds are nice, the stock locks up tight and the finish is great. It runs like it should and I haven't had any issues with it. Granted there are horror stories (minor and major) about them, but for the most part so do other guns. It comes down to how much time, desire or money you want to spend associated, to either fix them or to find spare parts. I have a complete, brand new spare parts kit for the gun if there any issues, to include extra barrels, extractors, recoil springs and a new SMG lower. I also have a SG9 suppressor made by Southern Machine Tool and Die to compliment my MK. The good thing is that spare parts for the 76 series are being made by Richard Hoffman of BWE Firearms. No regrets here.

I am nine months into the transfer process with my MK760. Didn't plan on getting one, but just kind of fell into a good deal. Have only shot it once, but it is a sweet shooter. 

I am hoping the transfer is approved in the next few weeks. 

-KH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MontanaRenegade86 said:

I am nine months into the transfer process with my MK760. Didn't plan on getting one, but just kind of fell into a good deal. Have only shot it once, but it is a sweet shooter. 

I am hoping the transfer is approved in the next few weeks. 

-KH

Let me know how you like it my friend I’ve been eye balling one for a while and since I’ve already bought a reising and a m10a1 I’m thinking it would be wise to grab one while they are still good deals to be found for them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Thumpy said:

Let me know how you like it my friend I’ve been eye balling one for a while and since I’ve already bought a reising and a m10a1 I’m thinking it would be wise to grab one while they are still good deals to be found for them

Both my cousin and I shot it right after it showed up at my SOT's place of business. This was in September of 2018, so it's been a while.

Some things I noted:

1.) The trigger is pretty horrible.

2.) The sites are underwhelming. 

3.) Suomi magazines are almost as awesome as Sterling magazines. 

4.) I felt like the Omega Man. Say what you will, this gun looks cool. 

5.) I like to tinker with things, so I won't mind if I have to do repairs or tweak on the gun.

6.) It's a machine gun. I can dream about a SW76 or I can have an MK760. I choose the latter. 

I think mine is going to be a pretty good shooter. It left the factory as a sub-machinegun (S prefix) and it has a very,very low serial number. If it had been a higher number C (Carbine) or P (Pistol) prefix gun, I might have walked away. The finish looks pretty rough - the previous owner either put some rounds through her or ran over the damn thing. 

Overall, I regret nothing. So far...:D

-KH

Edited to add: BWE Firearms is making parts for the MK760, so that played into my decision to purchase as well. 

 

Edited by MontanaRenegade86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RENEGADE, just looking from the outside, it would seem YOU are the perfect candidate for the 760 ! reading thumpy's  posts it's probably best he stay away. I have put thousands of rounds thru them and worked on at least 10-12 over the years and they will get the job done in the right place. NO WAY do I think a first time MG'r or someone lacking the wil and ability to tinker should have one. I also think its a matter of luck, because if you have looked at many you will see a BIG diff in QUALITY AND MATERIALS.  one of the best features is the  fantastic low cost Soumi mags they are a pleasure to use  hope all go's well with your choice.


I only accept postal money orders. contact me DIRECTLY before sending any funds                                           email  myoldiron@outlook.com        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a short video of my brother shooting my MK with the SG9, using Federal 124 FMJ's.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The opinions here of the MK760 seem to be both positive and negative.

Get the S&W 76 book, covers the originals and all the clones; the Fruithurst and Irvine MK760s, the  Global 76A1 and the semiautos. Magazines; common problems; trouble-shooting and more. Also a chapter on the Swedish K.

Book available here

https://www.smallarmsreview

s&w model 76 cover lores.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0