mp44 parts kit

blackgun6109

have an old kit incomplete that's been in storage since the 80's and want to know what to ask. The kit is missing the bolt and carrier and spring and grip panel's and forearm cover's.This kit has matching number's on the remaining part's and was made by mauser and the barrel is clean and bright .This is an old kit from back in the day so it's not chopped up like the stuff you see today and the receiver has been cut in half and should be an easy semi or select build.  252-229-0631

keep in mind one sad fact if you will. the way the regs are written in order to sell or offer any NFA device it MUST be destroyed to the CURRENT LEVEL! I DO KNOW PEOPLE PERSONALLY THAT HAVE BEEN CHARGED AND ARRESTED for offering /transferring items cut to old standards.  even though others manage to get by, you could be the one. hell  have seen complete unregistered MG's sold on GUNBROKER in recent years.  BE CAREFULL   mike 

• 2 weeks later...

I LACK COMPUTER SKILLS  AND SEARCH KNOWLEDGE , but our org DID OFFER legal support for a couple and I know others PERSONALLY.  the worst was DANS RUSSIAN CANNON BUY.  2 approved dewatts with full documentation. shipped to AZ WITH AGENCY APPROVAL!  after arrival during a so called "compliance check" both cannons in same condition were seized along with EVERYTHING ELSE ON SITE! 2-3 years negotiations and a plea deal was agreed due to financial burden's. DAN IS WELL KNOWN IN THE TRADE and for some reason has the nick name DANGEROUS BOB?  the other I know about is a well known case involving saw cut THOMPSONS. it has been discussed several times on many boards but I was not involved or know anyone personally. in the 70's and 80'smy family ran the major gunshows in AZ and a few vendors had table inventory seized . again all I know of the individual was hit with so many charges they accepted the loss and charges were dropped.

If someone owned a single saw cut receiver would it become (more) legal if each half were stored in a different zip code?  And the the sale of such a thing might be accomplished by shipping said halves in different parcels?  Of course the pre-sale photos would not show both halves in the same frame.

the rule of law is based on possession not location. I have taken more than a little flak about my opinion concerning the legality of selling old saw cut kits and it is no more than that MY OPINION. however it IS based on interaction with numerous individuals that have experienced seizure / charges and great financial loss.  the govt takes the stand "readily restorable" is a violation of the NFA. they publish what those current standards are. since the early 80's maybe b-4 , destruction requires a minimum of 1/4" removal at all cuts . to offer a "readily restorable" package is a violation.  I have never heard of anyone prosecuted for simple possession, if no transaction occurred or was attempted other than DANS cannon deal but possession is covered in the act and I wouldn't be surprised to learn of one. remember when all the BREN kits were coming in? the first published standards called for 2 torch cuts and no mention of the GAS TUBE in front of the barrel latch. an individual in AZ could make one of those run in less than 1 hour with only a simple buzz box welder. then they changed the regs to include the tube be cut also. the early kits will usually bring a premium over the later ones. I feel the most DANGEROUS out there are the one saw cut thompsons as they were cut in the 50's.  just today a non matching saw cut mp38 receiver with most parts mp 40 is offered here for $12k  WHY?  when taking risk  DO YOUR OWN MATH after all its only you risking what ever you have.

As with everything in the NFA world, let your conscience be your guide. If the risk, real or perceived, makes you uncomfortable, don't do it. Many buyers I've talk to over the years have decided that just the potential for the laws to be changed was too much risk. Others will lean way over the line against clearly stated NFA regulations. However, I am a firm believer in calculated risk and can only blame myself if I am wrong. Calculated risk must be based on factual evidence, not on anecdotes and stories.  The realities of what ATF will prosecute compared what the average gun owner perceives that ATF will prosecute are vastly different. An interesting example is the Greenberg and friends prosecution, conviction and penalties. Their violations of clear and unequivocal NFA regulations were about as bad as anyone can achieve, yet the court case and penalties are quite interesting. With the huge number of a very wide variety of destruction requirements over many, many years of imported kits and many thousands with this same variety being dome by individuals and offered for sale and sold, I would like to see court references to actual prosecutions and convictions of individuals for violating the "destruction" protocols of any unregistered MGs. This does not include ATF's reversal of the previously accepted legality of imported kits that then suddenly were claimed to violate their "current" import destruction requirements. There are lot of those, of course, but they are not about individuals curing unregistered MGs. Anyway, if there are a few confirmed prosecutions for such low level violations, the percentage is some tiny fraction of the huge number of unregistered MGs cut up by individuals. I would like to see the cases where this violation is the main charge.

What is the story about Thompsons being saw cut in the 1950s? Curious who had them, where they came from, why and where they were cut and what happened to them? 

FWIW

BR, again I wish I were better equipped and able to search as well as all you new guys, because as you well know all the info is just sitting and available to those that know what buttons to push.  all I can do is relate what I personally observed in past years while chasing all this stuff. I NEVER REPEAT JUST WHAT SOMEONE STATES , but do accept most published accounts and things observed directly involving friends and other collectors. deciding who to believe and how much can be difficult at best. one can only use past experience and reputation to make a judgement. as I know it, the THOMPSON STORY started with a 1/4 page add in the shotgun news, offering destructed like new kits from an individual . it grew to a half page add and ran a couple months. customers stopped receiving goods and were not able to contact the seller. some related they had been contacted by the justice dept wanting details of transactions and several complained they never got refunds or goods.  through others involved it was learned the seller had been convicted, sentenced and imprisoned. A few years passed and the add showed up in shotgun news AGAIN from the same vendor. he claimed a portion of the inventory was not seized, judged ok and available for sale. this add did not last long! and  again victims claimed he was arrested and charged for the same thing! at the time the shared "story" was the second lot of parts was something missed completely in the first incident. back then I was managing J CURTIS EARLLS inventory and we had more than 200 thompsons on the books so it came up during transactions several times. actual facts would be nice to know. you mentioned the GREENBURG CASE . he was well known to me and getting any accurate details was almost impossible at the time. all the info passed back and forth on sites like this one made for interesting reading but in reality most just hearsay as you well know. I DID have an informal conversation with one of the agents involved in the early stages of the case and he made some interesting statements about how evidence was obtained and how the decision was made on who to prosecute and how. again nothing on paper or documented, but a pretty reliable source I would say.