Looking for 07/02 to Convert AR15 to M16 Lower (Post-86)

I have a small LE agency that has ATF-approved Form 10's in hand for two AR15 lower receivers. They have the AR15 stripped lower receivers. They need to be converted to M16 specifications (lower receivers milled/drilled for M16 FCG and sear pin holes). As NFA paperwork is approved the work will simply need to be completed and then the stripped lowers shipped directly to the agency. Only the conversion work needs to be done, not any additional assembly.

If you are a licensed 07/02 who can handle this work please email me the price for the labor (total for two lower receivers). Thanks. Email is spreadfirearmsREMOVETHIS@aol.com

Edited by Spreadfire Arms

It would've been more appropriate for the agency to register them on Form 1 (tax-exempt).

Any FFL can log them in for gunsmithing. They do not have to hold a SOT.

If I was starting this project from scratch, I'd have used BCI Defense SQS-15 or Black Creek Precision F15 stripped lowers, since they require the least work.

Depending on the quotes you get, it may be cheaper for them to start over. One of the agency employees could push the handle on someone else's drill press. Wouldn't even need a FFL then.

ATF told them Form 10. That was their call.

I’m not sure I would want a regular 01 doing conversion work, I would hope an 07/02 but i suppose legally that is what you’re referring to.

Their brand of lower receivers was not specified.

I’ll run that possible scenario by them if they can find a guy who will let them use the equipment. But I think since it is for duty they probably want someone who knows what their doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the person building it should register it then transfer to the agency unless someone from the agency is present when the work is done.  The F10 is for firearms that already exist but are not registered.  The agency filed a bogus form and then the builder will compound things by building/not registering and doing a paperless transfer.  Either the circumstances were not communicated properly or you got an employee who is not familiar with the laws to answer your question.

On 5/31/2019 at 9:23 PM, Gunsmith86 said:

Any FFL can log them in for gunsmithing. They do not have to hold a SOT.

This is not gunsmithing - it is manufacturing.  The person building the MG needs to register it and transfer.  There is no provision in existing law to build to fill someone else's registration.

If you are a hunter it's the same concept as filling a deer permit.

3 hours ago, The Lone Ranger said:

The person building the MG needs to register it and transfer.

I agree, but they already registered it. That's the only way to accomplish it without starting over. That's what I was trying to explain.

I'm sure there are FFLs who wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole.

Perhaps they'd do better asking ATF to cancel the F10? Not sure if they'll cancel it.