HK 91 22LR conversions

JECIII

I just bought a surplus hk91 22lr kit.  So my first question is mags.  I cant find any anywhere.  I do see Black dog machine has a adapter that allows use of 22 uzi mags.  Anyone ever used one.  They are currently on back order.   Anyone have any ideas on a drum, no drums for 22 uzi

I heard of other people that made various adaptors over the years.  Anyone know if any worked?  I was thinking it wouldnt be too hard to take a 91 mag and cut and jam some sort of new 22lr mag in there to make it work.  I was thinking mabye somehow modify a ar15 22 mag into a 91 mag

My next big question what about a custom barrel in the 91 profile but in 22lr, and installed in a 91 reciever?  to avoid the cheesy barrel insert

Any thoughts or advise is welcome.

Thanks 

John C 07sot

jecayc@hotmail.com

Are You sure it's a HK91 .22 kit ..... and not a Surplus G3 .22 kit ...... as the bolt carriers are slightly different ...... check your carrier.

The Hk engineers used the HK270 .22Lr 20rd magazine ..... attached inside a standard metal G3 20 rd mag.

Actual HK 91 .22 Conversion kit and HK91 .22 carrier shown below .....

HK_22ConversionKitBoltSemi.JPG

HK_22CalConversionKit91_G3Bolt.jpg

HK_22ConversionKit7.62SemiOpen.JPG

HK_22ConversionKit7.62Mag.JPG

HK_22ConversionKit7.62MagLipsA.png

Buddy

You are probably correct it is g3 kit.  Mine has full mags like first pic.  Looks similar to first pics.  Dont think it has the extension.  I'm using it in full auto so should be ok.  Otherwise I was going to make spacer if needed.  I just got a deal though on the kit for 400bucks so wasn't too worried getting to shoot not collection so not too concerned if g3 or 91.

Any.other advice or thoughts.  What do you think of dedicated 22lr barreled reciever tonavoid the insert.  Mabye a cust.22lr barrel.with a 308 chamber

From that pics I'm hoping.i can modify something to work.  I was thinking of taking 22 ar mag and mounting it on a regular mag housing.mabye bolt or secure it I'm so the loading profile matches the 

I sold mine off when I got a M-16 with dedicated upper. I did recently find a magazine while digging through a file cabinet of magazines. Whats it worth to you?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JecIII,

IIRC, the mag that Buddy has in the photo is a later magazine.  The earlier had a bit more steel about the feed lips and a steel pin that goes into the little hole below the chamber in the barrel liner.  (BTW, if you take care that barrel liner is just fine.)  Earlier mags were also weighted to feel like a loaded 7.62 magazine.  OMG.  I carry 8 of those magazines in competition.  The weight kills me.

Additional mags are hard to come by.  Best is to scrounge shows, friends, and helpful folks on line.  For a time the mags were available from vendors but were never cheap.  The last of the used ones were for $150 each.  New ones were $200 each.  Now used ones are $280 each as the only way to get them easily is buy another kit.

I've tried the BDM/Uzi mag thing.  I'd skip it if you want reliability.  If you want cheap that has marginal reliability, it may be an option.  Folks claim that the AM180 drum adapters work.  I have not personally seen one run.

Mine will run on anything.  I like the lower power rounds like Federal Bulk as it runs a bit slower.  While the conversion is built like a tank (and the G3 weighs like a tank!), I'm with the other poster that enjoys the 16/22 route.  Higher capacity magazines that are cheap and work.  20 rounds in the G3 runs out rather quickly.

Enjoy the kit.  You got a great deal on it.

Grasshopper