Looks like the NRA has serious internal problems...

R.L.

Wish I could disagree, but you're absolutely correct. "Our" organization has become its own "swamp". Check out LaPierre's salary...you won't believe how much he takes. It's an affront to all dues paying members. 

Hopefully "Ollie" can straighten it out. 

R.L.

PETE, I was saddened to see your post even though I have many of the same feelings. when the 86 machine gun ban was mishandled by the NRA and allowed to pass I demanded they cancel and strike from the active records MYSELF / WIFE / SON and DAUGHTERS LIFE membership in protest ! then bought them all back AGAIN in 92 and sent an extra $1000. in support. IMAGINE WHERE WE WOULD BE WITHOUT THEM? YES what they do with some things is almost criminal but the OVERALL EFFECT is still the best shot (intended) we have. ALL OUR MAJOR OPPONENTS FEAR THE NRA WITH GOOD REASON!  the waste in membership drives is most likely the worst drain . we all get several membership offers in the mail and that's something that could be easily avoided if a tight belt was any real concern . I don't think private ownership of firearms has much of a future but hope I don't live to see it go away and will do all I can to support any and ALL that  openly support the 2nd as it is. at the same time I make it a point to keep up with all the "ANTI" CROWD" . and do so by EXTREMES! when my new trucks came in with BF GOODRICH TIRES, I refused delivery until they were changed. I wont buy ANY firearm related goods that supports CALIFORNIA STATE AGENCIES . I GAVE UP MY ENTIRE DRAG RACING OPERATION, because they required I participate in CALIFORNIA to continue . please consider the value they DO have when talking with others . cheers  MIKE

The value added of giving them money versus the "other guys" just isn't there. After the bump stock abortion I quit even  "rounding up" with brownells! I don't own or care to own a bump stock but I sure in the hell should be able to buy one freely!!

I get your points but I stand behind mine. I also spend as little money in anti states and with anti companies as possible. Quit going to venues that ban carry as well

On 4/28/2019 at 7:34 AM, Shortbarrelpete said:

It's dead as far as fighting for freedom, it has been for a good while. I was a member for one year ten years ago. Waste of money. If we could get that message out and get guys giving to people that are truly fighting.... THAT would be a game changer

Who are those fighting and what are their accomplishments? Just interested to know.

19 hours ago, mike todd said:

PETE, I was saddened to see your post even though I have many of the same feelings. when the 86 machine gun ban was mishandled by the NRA and allowed to pass I demanded they cancel and strike from the active records MYSELF / WIFE / SON and DAUGHTERS LIFE membership in protest !

Mike,

the problem is not that they mishandled it, it's that the orchestrated it intentionally, just as when Trump asked for their opinion on bump stocks and they recommended banning them.   Why some large vendors and auction guys want to be part of that is beyond me?  Perhaps they think if they get inside they can change it, but it's clear board members have no say in policy in Wayne's world.  Currently the NRA is one level above Sears Roebuck, liquidation is imminent, but like all business models there is surely an amazon rising as we speak, to fill the void they will leave behind. 

Johnson, as usual you put a lot more thought in your reply than I did and I HOPE you got it right, but rising may  be too late?  one thing I HAVE learned once the damage is done it stays. been actively watching this crap since 59 and even went back to the PRE American rifleman days. same old threats but names changed.  same fear tactics applied in the 30's and it didn't help us at all. for me, I will keep flushing money down their toilet I don't have anything else to use it for. no one will sell any good grease guns anyhow these days.

20 hours ago, riflejunky said:

Who are those fighting and what are their accomplishments? Just interested to know.

Gun Owners of America: one of the few organizations that sends out a questionnaire to its members asking them where GOA's priorities should be focused. They actually ask if they should work toward a repeal of the 1986 hughes amendment (intentionally not capitalized because neither william hughes or his lousy amendment is worth the effort). They support machine gun ownership and are willing to fight for it. These guys are the gold standard for RKBA organizations. 

Second Amendment Foundation and its affiliates: These guys have great success in the courts. They win a lot of pro-RKBA court cases.

There are others, too. NRA isn't the only player in the game, just the biggest. 

Edited by MontanaRenegade86
  • Like 1

SAF gave us Alan Gura and the world was a better place.  GOA is burning cash trying to undo NRA's advocacy of allowing bureaucracies write legislation (NICE ONE WAYNE).  NRA aggressively tried to scuttle Heller.  Yes, there has been some good but they are first and foremost Swamp Dwellers - getting rich off big government, other people's money, and have no intention of allowing that to change.  If you don't understand and accept that going in, eventually your feelings get hurt unless you have good blinders.

YEP, GOA is a very good and effective organization and it looks like they are indeed here to stay.  NEAL was so active and a key to that success I was very worried it was doomed with his passing. BUT thank GOD  JEFF and others have managed to hold things together. all that said, I have NEVER heard one politician or slug mention them at all much less express any concern. still they do have room to grow and will continue to get financial support from me , but as far as I am concerned the NRA still gets the major part of my end. when and if the NRA falls, no matter why, get ready to lose anything you have above ground cuz it will be gone before the inks dry. so pray SOMEONE comes to their sense's and figures a way to keep YOU GUY'S happy while reacting to all the other stupidity getting all the press. fighting that along with any internal strife makes them even less effective and waste full. reading this thread reminds me of all the different partisan groups in Russia during WW II . THINK how much effort and how many people and assets they wasted fighting each other instead of the REAL ENEMY?