Blacksmiths looking for new anvils-READ

R.L.

We've been a small job shop for many years. At one time we had coal fire pots for forging air steel, but I'm now switching over to gas. It's not traditional, it's not quite as hot, but it's a whole lot faster to heat up work.

We have older models Swedish Kohlswa anvils, my largest being 91 kilo's/200 lbs, single bick. Great anvils, but just like guns BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER with anvils!

So now on to buying new anvils today. As most blacksmiths know good anvils are a real PITA to find, especially a nice Peter Wright , Kohlswa or Hay Budden. And quite expensive.

I'm now wanting a 3-450 lb anvil so I start looking. I find Ridge Tools is marketing a "Peddinghaus" anvil & according to them, Made In Germany!! So I get excited as this "was" a very fine German manufacturer of anvils.

But another part of me says,company buyout, mass production of hand tools/big corporate mind set and big profits is incongruent with manufacturing quality anvils. It takes a lot of time to cast or forge, then heat-treat a good anvil. But I put that thought out of my mind right now. I start to read that the paint job on these anvils is crap on a number of blacksmith blogs but who cares right...your pounding steel, not polishing a Bentley.

After doing comprehensive online research for hour's I decide to search Alibaba, just for fun to see who's making what in the third world. Low and behold I see anvils, made by Ripu Impex in India. HMMM, that anvil really looks like the Peddinghaus anvil which Rideg Tool says is made in Germany.

I look at their line of anvils and the pics are absolutely 100% the same anvil that Ridge Tool advertises as made in Germany!! I checked out close up pics, it is without a doubt the same anvil.

So I now go to Graingers...yea Graingers of all places is listed as a Ridge/Peddinghaus anvil distributor. They are selling the 275 lb anvil model #69642 for $2600!! Most other distributors are around $1900. At the very bottom of the anvil model #, I see a disclaimer.

"The country of origin for this product may change at any time." At least Grainger is being half way honest or making a minimum effort to avoid a law suit for not being honest about the country of origin for this product.

My assessment is that they are trying to capitalize on the Old Peddinghaus name and being made in Germany. Rope em in with fake advertising, then pull the ol' switch-er-oo.

It's marketing bullshit guys don't waste your time with this anvil.

If you're looking for a professional grade anvil check out Nimba. Made in the USA and priced less expensive than the FAKE German anvils!

FWIW,

R.L.

• Like 1

RL, at least they take the trouble to post the disclaimer. I have been shopping for "quality" electrical components for our insane water room I am doing. its vertualy impossible to do the way they hide origin these days. in frustration I turned to SQUARE D which used to be known as the CO that set the standard, NOT SO ANYMORE! shopping for relays I have returned 7 diff orders of far east JUNK. when I ask the mfg'r  about origin, the best I can get is a 2 day run around of hold and voice mail. no wonder we are suffering! ever where you go its all the same ? morals/politics/ marketing .

• Like 2

WOW Mike,so Square D went 3rd world too? Pretty sad to see old line American supplies and tool manufacturers going 3rd world. Another big disappointment we just realized was by Crescent tools.

We use 14" 18" and 24" Crescent wrenches to take apart drilling extensions and bits. After a while the dimensions across the flats on tooling gets boogered, so a Crescent wrench is the fastest way to take stuff apart in the field. I went to buy some new black oxide Crescent wrenches, and guess what, made in CHINA now!! What a  disgrace to have traditional American brand tools made by our #1 enemy and #1 trading partner. Thank you Bill Clinton, ya self serving maggot!!!

Ridge Tool did reply to my question about the origin of this anvil, STILL claiming it was Germany, but they refused to give the name of the German manufacturer.

Quite frankly I don't believe them,  they are perpetuating the myth of German quality, so they can keep their anvil of questionable origin.... I'm buying AMERICAN. Nimba Anvils in Oregon. The Gladiator 450 lbs of 8320 American steel, hardened to 55-59 rockwell c. with a lifetime warranty. Yea...lifetime...for an anvil! 

R.L.

RL, through my supply house's in AZ I was a major CRESCENT  tool distributor. I don't know the date but when they became a part of the CHANNEL LOCK GROUP, things started down hill but mainly with the plated sku's.  the phosphate tools were to remain mil spec we were told? I tossed that company in 02 so have no idea whats happened since. THE SQ-D THING REALLY GOT ME. I don't see any way around this mess and add the fact that company people wont willingly reveal the sources just confirms the intended quality you can expect.