M240L barrel dimensions question

Lunk

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone here with a  m240L short type barrel, could help me with some measurements.
I plan on making an display replica, hence I am interested in the measurements.

4997187134_1acab9fd4d_b.jpg

I would like to know if the barrel is the same from the rear of the barrel to the front end of the gasblock, as a standard m240B barrel.

And the dimension around the barrel between the gasblock and front sight, it seems smaller on the Lima barrel.

And the lenght from the front end of the gasblock, all the way to the tip of the flashhider

If I were unclear please let me know so that I can be more precise.

Kind regards

SIR, I just bought a FN 240 and am myself new to the system. however I do have some new barrels of all types due in this week and would be glad to help you with what ever you need  when they arrive. if you get it sooner that's great, just let me know. if not, I will contact you with the requested info. CHEERS ! MIKE TODD

JOHAN, I am always glad to see and help anyone interested in these things for what ever reason. I am sorry to say our ability to own them is under a very serious threat in the NEAR FUTURE. as it stands right now, they have caused the cost to hit catastrophic levels. I had 2 items remaining in my BUCKET LIST, THE 240 AND A FORD GT-40. there are only 10 examples of the 240 in the system that an individual can own . I will get back too you when the brls arrive  CHEERS MIKE

I realy started to like these guns when I was in the army 12 years ago, had the Fn MAG back then, and just loved it ! Amazing shooting experience ! And a very nice weapon in terms of looks !

Also enjoyed the fn minimi ! A very compact and nice looking lmg !

What other nice guns/ lmgs do you got in your collection ?

JOHAN,  I have no heirs and hooked up with a kind gent n TEXAS that talked me into moving on his ranch, and building him a collection of military arms and machine guns. this has been my main focus since 1959 and I had access to some choice goods as a underground cash employee of SAM CUMMINGS . during the 60's and 70's he was the largest legitimate arms dealer that focused on non govt sales mainly via his co INTERARMS. because of that exposure I was also accepted by most all the major surplus dealers in the USA . needless to say I managed to hoard some pretty rare goods and built a decent personal collection for myself. I concentrated on SHOOTING AND HELPING OTHERS SHOOT MORE! so I pioneered the caliber conversions for the Browning MGS and all other systems I could at the time. when I moved here, I gave my entire collection to this one and have been "adjusting" it to fit him with new goods while disposing of some of the more complicated arms. we are not "dealers" so have no access to "samples " , all are transferable which makes many of them almost unique in the trade. currently we have;                                    CZECH-ZB-37 7.92 , GERMAN-MG-81-ZTWIN,M-15wc,MG-15ac,MG-34, MG-42, MP-34, MP-40, ALL HK VARIANTS. RUSSIAN 1910 MAXIM, SG-43, 1952 MILLED AK-47, 1965 AKM. BRITISH BREN-303, BREN-762 ,LANCASTER 9MM, VICKERS-.303. BELGIUM all ex army issue FN-FAL H/BRL, FN-FAL-PARA, FN-FAL STANDARD RIFLE. FN-49,FNC-PARA +CARBINE   ISRAEL- FND-A1 7.62,VICKERS 7.92, USA-M2 50HB,1917A1,1919A4, COLT THOMPSON,M-60 M-16. we also have several of the sub guns built here in the 1980's and work them hard  the premier piece in the collection is most likely the only transferable example of the NAZI LUFTWAFFE MADSEN BELT FED 7.92 MG in the US. it fires in excess of 1400 rpm. of course it will be forced to the #2 spot when the M-240 arrives. the spare barrels I ordered will be in next week and I will send you all the measurements you needed. as you can see we like belt feds and ones that can be fired a well. we have a decent range set up on the ranch and try use it every couple weeks. all I do is work on them and search for parts. hope that was what you wanted to know? mike

• 2 weeks later...

Mike: That is mighty impressive ! And the MG42, that a gun I realy would love to test  fire ! And it is also one of the most beautiful made machine guns, looks that kill ;)
Yes that was a realy detailed answer.
If I ever travel to USA I would love to visit Texas and the awesome fire ranges you guys got there.

May I ask, if it is possible to buy parts from you aswell ?

And how is your m240, happy with it ? It realy is a thing of beauty

Regards

Johan

JOHAN ,  I have not kept up with the export rules and just don't know where 240 parts stand in the restrictions. it might be possible because they are fairly common in the world. going out exotic parts and certain "fields" are restricted going into many nations.  since the EUROPEAN ALIGNMENT most gun parts are controlled some way. they tell me that the brls landed but I have been tied up . hope to get your dim out soon!  more than 20 yrs ago t5he president of the SWISS- WILL TELL ORG came too the US and was my guest for a week. do you know of them?  much like our NRA.

I know that the parts I can not import are barrels, recievers and bolts, all other parts are legal to import into Sweden. I am mostly after gas block, flash hider, carry handle, front sight etc, so no sensitive parts.

Nice ! Have you test fired them yet ? The m240 does look gorgeous in the Lima short barrel configuration.

No never heard of them before, but after a quick read on the internet I now have an idea of them.
Nice to have them as guests ! Must have been a nice visit for them, and sure they got to fire some nice guns to 

JOHAN ,  while the LIMA brls are quite expensive ($700 US) I bought 8 brand new complete 25" brls at $369. ea  my point is I may be able to buy one complete unserviceable  25" for much less than the separate parts. also used parts are out there very reasonable that came from scrap piles and may have rust etc. restoration is very easy IF you have access to a bead blast cabinet. so let me know if any of that might help. we have restrictions on export for many modern military items, like NO HUMMVEE'S or PARTS can leave.

Mike : Yes I understand your point !

Used parts would not be a problem, as long as they are not totaly damaged on rusty, normal sign of use is more than good.
Yes you have your restrictions in the states aswell, but I have  bought parts from the states before, so parts such as front sights and gas block is okay to my knowledge !

I don`t want to get you into any trouble if you are unsure of what parts is okay to ship. Rather safe than sorry !

Another  question, would you, or know anyone, that could be able to make a replica of the Lima barrel, just the barrel, and I would be able to mount the parts later myself ?
As I think a replica part is legal to import here in Sweden, as it can not be fired, or being built for real fire arm use.
And of course I would pay for your services !

Regards

Johan

JOHAN , one could use drilled heavy wall tubing and be ok.the only way it would make sense is using a CNC lathe . the quantity would determine the cost. no way coul it be reasonable on a manual machine. they want almost $100 US to thread a muzzle. with a CNC machine  the worker would only feed material and remove a finished example. how many are you thinking? it might be more feasible to mold it in plastic?.

Mike : 1 or 2 barrels would be all that I need.

Yes no way it would be made on a manual machine, if they take that price for just a muzzle thread !

But I wouldnt be surprised if the total cost for 1 barrel would be around 300 usd, and I am ok with that ! As I would prefered it of being made of some sort of steel, as you described.
Both that it feel and look more realistic !

1 barrel,  short type lima, would be perfect ! Depending on the cost, maybe 2.

I am gonna find out some measurements, that may be a little different to the real barrel, to make it fit into my display m240 reciever, it may, or may not be different, so please dont start doing any work until that is checked 

Regards

Johan

Edited by Lunk

I have now checked, and on the 240B barrel I have, most of the barrel is 1:1 scale to the real one.
The only part I believe is a little different should be the bore diamter for the 7.62 bullet, as I would need it to be 9.97 mm.

Regards

Johan

JOHAN , I just spent a week at a major machine gun shoot with all the guys and asked around for any worn brls . nothing was available and they are the major user's. our GOVT chops all the bad brls in 6 pieces b-4 they send them to the scrap yard so no help there.  b-4 I left I called all my machine shop people and the cost would be prohibitive for less than 100 units. I thought about trying a on off or 2 but my hands wont allow any such work from me. so as it stands right now other than the measurements , I wont be much help to you at this point . I will keep my eyes peeled for any other options.

Mike : Thank you  very much for all your help ! The measurements will be  of good help to, as I can get help here in Sweden in making a barrel replica that way with the measurements. 

And again, thanks for all the help !

• 1 month later...