Recommended dealer request

Sid Post

I'm looking for a C3 to C3 out of state transfer to Form 4 to me in East Texas between Dallas and Texarkana or Shreveport, LA.

I'm looking for a quality dealer that won't strip my MG, let friends abuse it, etc.  Also, I'm not looking to bottom feed on the transfer fee either.  I expect quality service and I expect to pay a reasonable fee for said 'good' service.

Who are the good dealers to talk to?  The Subguns.com recommended dealer list was not helpful, FWIW.  ;)

TIA,

Sid

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, al I can say is GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!  it took me 3 yrs of very hard active searching to find a dealer  close to SAN ANTONIO to receive my transfers. I couldn't believe the problem coming from PHOENIX it just was not an issue.  the first guy I used managed to use my NEW suppressor enough that I had to return it to the mfgr b-4 I felt comfortable to use it. many guns sat with the seller until I managed to hook up where I am at now and these guys are true gems but sadly no where close for you. most likely you will have to hit either HOUSTON or DALLIS to find someone that has a storefront and reputation. the facts are that just too many lic are issued to  collectors wanting samples to shoot or rent and have no idea how to conduct themselves in this trade. one thing I learned long ago. when buying NFA I ALLWAYS have ALL the uncontrolled parts removed and shipped when paid in full. this works on it all but no help with suppressors. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SEARCH AND DONT FORGET TO ASK FOR REF'S    cheers MIKE

It's shocking to hear that an NFA dealer would use a customer's NFA items for personal or demo purposes without express permission of the customer while they were in storage awaiting transfer approval.  I wouldn't even think of doing such a thing with a customer's gun/suppressor.  Absolutely disgraceful.

This has been going on for yrs. I'm a class 2 manufacturer in Wisconsin. Wish I could help. When I transfer something in, the only time I touch it is to verify the serial number, then have the customer inspect it, then it gets put away until approved. 

Friend of mine bought a 1919 from Bob Landis many yrs ago. He seen the gun in person, it was mint condition. Landis even told him to take what parts he could so it wouldn't get fired, but he trusted the dealer in Wisconsin. Needless to say, when the gun was approved, mind you back then it took only about 45 days, the gun was completely shot out!  The dealer said Landis must have switched parts! Riiiggghtt! 

That dealer is out of business, wonder why.  

Unfortunately it is hard to find a reputable dealer. Good luck. 

13 hours ago, kirk in wisc said:

<snip>

Friend of mine bought a 1919 from Bob Landis many yrs ago. He seen the gun in person, it was mint condition. Landis even told him to take what parts he could so it wouldn't get fired, but he trusted the dealer in Wisconsin. Needless to say, when the gun was approved, mind you back then it took only about 45 days, the gun was completely shot out!  The dealer said Landis must have switched parts! Riiiggghtt! 

That dealer is out of business, wonder why.  

Unfortunately it is hard to find a reputable dealer. Good luck. 

That's a big part of the reason I'm asking.  I bought a suppressor from a local "kitchen table" dealer from Thompson Machine.  During the transfer process (long form 4 times), the dealer closed shop and I never got what I paid for.  Rumor had it he moved to Alaska (I was in Arizona at the time).  Thankfully, that was only a few hundred dollars, not machine gun money.

I'm all for supporting the local "little" guy or gal just starting out but, when we are talking about items that start in the ~$15K range or more, I won't risk it with an unknown quantity.

Then there is the personal integrity and business ethics thing.  I went to a local brick and mortar Class 3 to look at an in stock Integral 10/22.  It was a brand new rifle but, I wondered why it was all scuffed up.  When I handed it back to the dealer, I watched him 'throw' it on a couple of hooks that were up high on the pegboard, when it didn't lay perfectly upright, he picked up another rifle and started 'poking' it.  When he thought he had it upright, he turned around and it fell upside down at which point his helper said he would go get the LADDER!  

:S

Edited by Sid Post

SID, as I mentioned, I have been at this a LONG TIME and if you can think it, its happened . if not too me , someone I know. personally I didn't suffer too much because I hooked up with CURT EARLL. he was a supurb business man but new very little about the operating or mechanics of his product. I worked on and maintained a major portion of his inventory so most of my transfers landed there. people the knew CURT will understand why I didn't send them all there and had to use others to avoid possible conflict between us. BOTTOM LINE? if I could not have the seller trip the receiver and mail me the parts direct, when it landed I would go to the shop and strip it and after it was logged in wrap the receiver in oil cloth and tape it up.  A VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE if the business fails , like from a bank loan EVERYTHING ON THE BOOKS IS SIEZED .the only thing that will help you is a receipt from the receiving dealer that you own 100% of it. a paid receipt from the seller wont help without taking the bank to court! that may vary from state to state but that's a fact in AZ.  I lost a Bren , PAK-37 and a DUTCH Vickers that way  so pay heed.

Court costs for me would have far exceeded the value of the suppressor in question.  Then there is the issue of locating the individual to serve him!  What would I get if I actually went to court and got a judgment?  I don't want his cardboard house under a bridge or log cabin in some unknown area of Alaska either.

Stories like yours and others is why I ask about recommended dealers with a real storefront.  Yes, bankruptcy can be a real issue.  In my case, what could I strip from a Micro-Uzi and/or Mini-Uzi of value?  Welded stock on a receiver with a registered bolt?  Registered receiver?  Hence my concern about getting a good dealer to hold my stuff for 4~12 months waiting on a form 4.

And, THANK YOU Mike for your very valuable contributions to me in this thread!

• 2 weeks later...

In Shreveport I highly recommend Red River Range. It is new, but is run by Brad Simon who previously had a small operation (Red River Firearms) before completing the range a few months ago.

It is a first class facility and Brad is very trustworthy.