Thompson drum magazine 50 or 100

biminimike

mike, a word of caution concerning the reproduction drums. in a large auction buy, I won 2 new 100 rnd and 3 50 round 2 of which were also new in the box. I have a good supply of originals but thought it best to save them if possible.  the first 100 rnd broke while winding it the first time. the second 100 rnd fired 8 rounds or so and broke.  the used 50 survived but did not feed consistent . I tried only one of the ni 50's and it also broke while winding. they all broke in the same place , where the rotor spring is attached to the housing . they messed up with the heat treat or used the wrong mat. I sent emails to all the previous mfg'rs of thompsons and nobody answered me back about repair.   your best shot is for WWII 50's anything under $1k is market right now a few can be had at $850 if your quick. again pay close attention to dents and rust. ORIGINALS ?  NEW YORK 50's. I have been shopping for 5 years and only a bad rusted example with a replaced rotor has been found. I would guess $2.5k / 3.5k  for them I have a $6.5k offer for ANY 100 rnd original and cant bring myself to part with one.  GOOD LUCK! and be carefull !

There is a guy by the name Merle Bitikopher, he fixes drums. He is hard to get in touch with. The last time I spoke to him was a few years ago and his age and a car accident has curtailed his work.  If you get on the (machinegunbouards.com) there should be a link here, It is all Thompson related stuff. Before you buy, ask if the drum works, try to get the seller to send you a video of the drum working, it’s to simple to do, even I could do that. Also make sure the serial number on the drum is the same one they are videoing. I hope that helps, most people who deal in class 3 stuff  are legit and don’t want bad stuff being written about them.

Good luck!

GONZO< ALL GOOD ADVICE and they way to go. HOWEVER bad springs is bad springs. works today, but tomorrow? normally I stay FAR away from all that new stuff until the verdict comes in. I cant come close to counting all the broken drums I have seen apart at the shows over the years. I would have NO hands on at all but got the few I have in a large buy.