Value of recent rewat MP 40

tcgoll

The answer to your question is buried in the NFA records. yes a rewatted C+R could have remained a C+R but only if the person/co doing the work filled out the forms correctly. if they listed themselves as a manufacturer in the column for origin , it may be doomed. I have examples done both ways and the ones with the new mfg'r listed had previously transferred as C+R'S but when I bought them the transfer too me was denied using it. the key to the value is how it will transfer NOW , but any extra markings will effect the value no matter the case. at least 15% from what I see and as much as 25% in some cases 

when GCA was put into law MOST of the MFGR'S did not know how to comply and many DID remark the guns and the paper work. it was a simple misinterpretation of the rulings set down by ATF. so you will find many variations. when the paper work was changed and a new MFG'R was added the pretty much killed any C+R status. I have 3 examples on hand to confirm that. ALL had transferred as C+R several times but are denied now due to the process used to validate its in the system.

DEWATs that do not transfer because the manufacturer/importer is not "correct" can easily be contested as long as the original registration pre-dates the end of the '68 Amnesty or the MG can be confirmed to have been manufactured 50 years ago or more. Might take some leverage against ATF but it has been and can be done. The ones that I have had with incorrect maker ID have generated 'error letters" and I have put returned the info with whatever ATF required. The new registrant can amend the NFRTR form 4 of the serial with a letter once the gun is in his name and, as the registrant, he can get date and name of original registrant's name from ATF. ATF will not do and major revisions, serial etc, etc during a transfer process.The transfers I had with the error letters have not been denied for incorrect ID once I have responded to ATF's satisfaction.

However, if the date of original registration does not qualify the MG as C+R, even though it may once have transferred on an FFL03, then it will no longer transfer C+R under the recent implementation of the vetting of all transfers against the original registration info. Mike, if you have MGs that transferred as C+R but will no longer, do an FOIA search for the date of the original registration. My money is on the original registration occurring after the '68 Amnesty. See below.

There are an indeterminate number of MGs registered as alleged registered D#WATs which were "reactivated" on F2s by FFLs after the '68 amnesty, but were actually unregistered MGs illegally processed as 'reactivated' merely by filling out and submitting the F2 with that status and ATF was none the wiser. ATF never supervised any operations of that sort or vetted transfers to confirm date of registrations for F2s, dF1s, FFL03 transfers, so it was easy to get away with. When MGs were not worth much, the extra value of and alleged C+R MG made a difference. Plus the CIIs didn't need any skills at cutting and welding the receivers, or making new ones. I've seen quite a few of these, and they actually are of interest to a small subset of collectors who seek them out because they are compromised and cheaper. This subset of Mgs also includes unregistered MG that were never cut and welded but just registered as manufactured on an F2. The FFLs who did this put their correct ID in the box so with a minor inspection it is easy to tell if the gun was not correctly cut and welded.

Mike, you would be wise to get the matter of the date of the original registration of those guns verified. If they are actually correctly registered prior to the end of the '68 amnesty, then you can petition ATF to annotate the NFRTR that they are legitimately C+R. FWIW 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did two REWATTS in 2015,  I had to file a form 1 to activate them and I left all the info as it was IE; RUSSIA WWII  etc. the both are still C+R eligible. as mentioned above requests to correct can and do get done. BUT the ways of old are now GONE!  no longer will they accept ANY photo's or historical data. the TECH BRANCH will require you ship the actual weapon and any supporting data direct too them for verification. they warned me that " IT WILL TAKE A YEAR OR MORE" to go through the process so be prepared to wait if you go that route. in the past I did several changes with pics and data only. (sigh)