New to forum New to MGs

Thumpy

Hey fellas I’m new to the forum and also new to mgs. Ima a kiddo compared to most of you all lol im only 22 born and raised just south of kansascity mo. I’m currently at 6 months waiting on my first tax stamp and first mg I bought a AC556k from frank at Midwest tactical out of jasper mo. Was wondering if any of you all who have had experience w the AC556 am could tell me some more about the rifle there’s not a huge amount of info out there about them. Read some stuff about recivers cracking? So when I get it will that be something I have to worried about? Should I get a recoil buffer ? Upgrade springs? Also how are the .22 conversion kits for them? I’ve read about the ciener conversions witch sound kinda hit and miss. Also when it comes to switching out the stock is it verry difficult to fit a normal mini 14 stock to the ac556 Ik it will require some dremaling to the stock but is it really hard enuff I’ll need to pay some one else to do it? Also is there any insurance company you all prefer to use to insure your mgs trew? 

the only time I am aware of or have heard of any issues with the receivers was way back when they first came out. I know of several examples of "agency" owned guns that suffered catastrophic damage. again this was before ANY mini14's of any type were released to the public. RUGER actually stopped shipping guns and the prices went insane. standard semi's were fetching $2k and went as soon as they hit a rack or table. we actually traced the problem down using time lapse telemetry equipment. the bullets were being forced into the case and created excess pressure breaking bolts/ receivers. in a few cases the stocks were broken completely in half it was so violent.  so it was a feed problem and quickly corrected IN my "group" there are 2 ac.556 an 1 k model. all of them are virtual smooth bores they have been shot so much. the "k" gun has fired well over 40k in a ciener conversion kit very few problems and if it stutters he hits it with "scrubber"  I believe he has scrapped a couple mags with bad feed lips. anytime I see a cut police seizure I try to buy it and add the parts to my hoard and I don't even own a gun. You need to know that RUGER pulled all support for them and no parts are being made to my knowledge. I would suggest you buy a semi produced during the same time your gun was made . it takes almost no skill to route out a stock, just stay away from the aggressive routing cutters and you should be good to go.  if you managed to buy it b-4 folks hit the peak levels good for you it should give you plenty of good service.   

• Like 1

Thanks mike for the response! And yea I read that ruger isn’t servicing them any more. And parts kits seem to be selling 750-900 from what I’ve seen. But your response makes me feel a little better about my purchase was a little scared about the whole cracking the reciver thing lol. Thanks again!

Welcome and congratulations on your first and what I can guarantee won’t be your last MG purchase. I started this addiction back in 2004. You will find that you will buy suppressors to keep you busy between buying MG’s. That being said,I don’t own an AC556, but I considered buying one back when they were about 6-7 thousand dollars. The reason I decided against it, is the fact that I own a Mini 14. I really do not like shooting it all that much. It is loud, and when shot, sounded clunky like an old beat up pickup Truck. Never mind the gas blast to the face. I did a few things that made it more tolerable shoot. The first was to install a Wolff extra power recoil spring and a recoil buffer. I don’t think you can go wrong when you stop the metal to metal impact. I put the gun in a Hogue overmold stock. This helped with clunky sound. Lastly I customized my gas block to cut down on the gas flow. This seemed to cut down on the gas blast to the face due to lower chamber pressure on ejection. Even after all that I still don’t shoot it much. Mainly my 10” SBR AR. Now I would not mess with the gas system on a transferable MG, but the spring,buffer , and stock you may consider. Enjoy your new bullet hose. My 2cents FWIW.

Edited by J50shootr
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a factory 556 with 3rd burst many yrs ago. Paid 1100.00 for it. Also bought m16 same time for 2000.00 the ruger was a reliable gun as long as using factory mags, but overheated very quickly, after about 4 mag dumps. 22 kit from ciener jammed alot. After about 2 months of owning it, I never shot it anymore because you would have to let it cool. The m16 I just simply changed uppers and kept shooting. Ended up selling the ac556 and bought a stemple and 2 Mac 10s in 45 and 2 Mac 11s in 9. Never missed the ruger. My advice would be to spend the extra and get a m16. You will be much happier with the m16. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2019 at 9:03 PM, Thumpy said:

Hey fellas I’m new to the forum and also new to mgs. ........ Also is there any insurance company you all prefer to use to insure your mgs trew? 

Hey Thumpy,

Congratulations.

As for insurance, I have mine with these guys:

------------

Laura Sewall, CIC, CISR

Laura Sewall CIC, CISR
Account Manager II
Eastern Insurance Group LLC
933 Webster Street, Marshfield, MA  02050

Phone:  800-545-9326 (X59177)   Fax:  508-652-4392