Beretta AR70 opinions?

Rex Tyson

I have been offered this AR70.I haven't seen it yet. I have never had one before and I am curious to the experts thoughts on the markings? I have not seen pictures of one marked this way. No other I can find looks like this. It is semi in two positions even though the selector moves to the full position. This is one I am completely unfamiliar with. Thoughts?

Rex

IMG_5251_zps5ya7mcdz.jpgIMG_5252_zpscbytbwow.jpgIMG_5253_zpsmov1l0yk.jpgIMG_5254_zpssu6rfvzf.jpg

This isn't a real Beretta AR70. But rather it is an AR70 kit built on a PLF receiver from St. Louis, Missouri.  Look at your last photo and see the "PLF STL MO MOD SF70".  The last picture also shows the front of the grenade launcher sight which surrounds the rear sight assembly.  The kit used on this build was probably one of those from SARCO.  I believe they originally came from Malaysia.

I just had one built.  $400 plus my kit for the build with no refinish.  Kits used to be around $400 but I haven't seen one for sale in a long time.  Figure around $1000 give or take with a decent finish.  If it has a new barrel add around $200 for that.  Mags are around $65.  Make sure you check the bore for pitting.  Many of the Malasian kits had a lot of pitting inside the barrels, particularly at the muzzle end.  Most of them still shoot fine but you could use it as a bargaining chip.  They shoot beautifully with excellent smooth trigger pulls.  I have an original beretta sporter ar70 that is unfired.  I originally bought the kit for spare parts but decided to have it built into a shooter and I am glad I did.  It's a smooth reliable rifle.