Heavy Metal... WWII Twin 50's

Aaron in Mohnton Pa

We all have that one thing are after but don't see it as being obtainable..... Well this gun platform was it for me and now I got the tiger by the tail.... Years ago I met a gentlemen here in PA who had an elaborate .50 cal collection..bought his first transferable M2 in 1965... The first time I was at his place he had two Transferable C&R .50 cals in the middle of his basement floor. They were mounted in a WWII Twin .50 patrol boat Mount. Before that I had never seen such a mount... I was beyond impressed to say the least... as somebody who collects gun mounts, the mount was more fascinating to me then the guns... It was an example of the ingenuity that we as a country were putting out for the war effort during WWII.... I never thought I could possible obtain such a mount mainly because of how old and rare they are.... years past ..... then last year, I was walking through a friends warehouse and there it was, sitting on a table....the same mount unrestored and in immaculate condition..Still had the bucktag on it dated 1944...I immediately inquired what the story was with it...........it had come from an estate after sitting idol in a building for YEARS AND YEARS ... My lucky day, it was available for sale...NOT CHEAP.... but no way I could pass on it...  I was planning on building dummy guns for it just to display... I consulted with my friend @JnC Manufacturing to which he respond at the idea of dummy guns: "pfffffffffftttt GAYYYY" ....  Through his help and kindness I was able to obtain two beautiful, WWII / period correct .50 cal air cooled machine guns (thank you Nathan)......... God is good...Next on the to do list - destroy a car with these....

Does anyone have one of these twin mounts? Or seen them for sale before?

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

c7zU5Qq.jpg
m0iq2Wz.jpg
eITSp9H.jpg

hy5PY3h.jpg

gMyA2je.jpg

55u0oaF.jpg

WgnB12t.jpg

Zgn59tI.jpg

these mounts were also again used during the Vietnam war on patrol boats. 

yCuFBSN.jpg

SxPw1MF.jpg

bUQ1vAb.jpg

94trYZe.jpg

Edited by Aaron in Mohnton Pa
  • Like 1

The twin Navy mounted .30”s that were being sold recently on GB were owned by DSA.  The setup was on display at their retail shop in Lake Barrington, IL.  Not sure if it sold - can’t seem to find the listing now.  But it was a pretty impressive set.....  But not as cool as your 50’s!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally done with these ......I named this rig “Deuces Wild” .. To keep with this set ups WWII heritage, I had an artist who paints WWII art on bombers out west paint this for me....I came up with the painting idea from scratch ....  it also acts as a case and link deflector since links and casings come out the bottom...... but also personalizes this gun rig .... 

c7zU5Qq.jpg
76160qg.jpg

• Like 2

@Ryo thanks man ... @gftivthey both fire at same time. Synced together.... can not fire one gun at a time in this set up .... two sets of triggers... one set for when the guns are elevated up engaging aircraft and one set for when guns are level engaging ships or ground targets 

Edited by Aaron in Mohnton Pa

Learning something everyday. I always thought they just fired the guns. Wonder if that was for a safety reason or just angle of convenience 

So which trigger does what? Right for air and left for ships/subs? 

I always enjoy seeing your other firearm parts in the background.. To try to figure out what it goes to. 

Both sets of triggers fire the guns. But when you have the guns elevated vertically to engage air targets it’s very difficult to use the bottom triggers. So the top triggers are on a different angle and allow you to fire the guns and more proficiently aim them. That is also why the mount has the curved handle bars.

Those are huey helicopter XM-23 door Gun mount boxes , chutes, and bending brackets in the background.

ECSuESr.jpg

MVWY3p5.jpg

• Like 1