Auction Houses

BDMERC

SELLING OR BUYING ? makes no difference. what makes the results vary so much is how many folks are drawn to the item. it takes at least 2 for anything much to happen. FOR EXAMPLE;  I thought one of these new made COLT GATLINGS would tide me over as a "shooter" . in 2017 at JAMES JULIA I bought a new example and 3 others had the same idea. IT cost me $40K or close to it. after it landed, I discovered only an original would do and bought one. I sent the UNFIRED NEW EXAMPLE back to the same auction house and NOBODY was present so it did not even open at $25k when offered. Normally at these 3 and 4 day auctions I register as a live phone bidder for the entire auction and listen to EVERY LOT. doing so allows me to bid on anything under market NFA included. since 2013 I have won more than 25 NFA and  some for less than HALF CURRENT MARKET after the premium was added. EVERY AUCTION house has there own "standards" and so called in house experts and you MUST do your homework or be ready to suffer their short comings. ONE in particular will always describe a lot and avoid mentioning anything that would lower the value for example a COLT THOMPSON with GI internals is worth a min of $10k less instantly. or a reblue  etc,  another IMPORTANT issue would be the original manufacturer. even if a MP-40 has WWII GERMANY on the form it may not transfer as a C+R and would be worth a lot less. SO the bottom line is, the buyer must do his homework and KNOW what he is doing or it will cost them.  SADLY THAT IS TRUE NO MATTER WHICH VENUE YOU CHOOSE. there are a LOT of NFA dealers that JUST DONT KNOW the product and really don't care to. the ONLY CONCERN IS HOW MUCH CAN THEY MAKE. I wanting to sell, QUALITY GUNS will never see an auction house, there is usually a long line of folks ready to take it when its available. WITH many of the larger collections the only reason they go to an auction house is to take the easy way out and almost always they will loose a lot of money doing so. 

Great information and I agree. I was in Denver, PA at the end of Oct. First time with Morphy. Interesting that 3 Gatling guns were available and never met reserve. Lots of "antique" C&R NFA in great original condition that got very little attention. Several M16's that went for outrageously high prices ( before premiums were added!)

LOTS of very collectible lever actions and S.A. pistols. I think sheer volume was too overwhelming even for the hard core collector/ bidders. Just my observations for the week

Secret Service transferable UZI sold at $40K (no provenance!). NIB Maremont M60E3 set  benchmark for most expensive M60. The most NFA I have seen at an auction in a while - lots of phone bidders!

I was one of those "phone bidders" and managed to get every lot I wanted for LESS than I had set for MAX. (HOORAH)  only time will tell on the secret service UZI , but the C+R status and IDF history will make it pass that at any rate. Much of the NFA in this sale has EXTREMLY FEW examples in the system and nothing of the type had been offered in more than 30 years. THIS FALL was a tough one for both seller's and buyers because of the MAJOR collections and quantity offered. the ROCK ISLAND , Dec sale had a major effect on MOPHY'S  because no matter what is offered , there is only so much money to play with. several buyers I spoke with decided to pass because of the 20% buyers premium. I feel that fact helped me in the long run. but it did hurt me with my GATLING.

• Like 1

@BDMERC , Morphy is 2 miles from me ... I drive past it every week. Never went to an auction there. 

Did the M60e3 sell?? Was it yours? A local guy I know of here in this area has a NIB M60e3 and NIB standRd gun he was selling a few years ago but then pulled from the market. Wonder if it was his. 

Aaron 

John Keene is the CIII guy now at Morphy's. He was part of James Julia and went over with them after the merger/acquisition. I find John to be very, very knowledgeable and a stand up guy. I have sold a bunch of stuff in the past through Julia's and always gotten some awesome prices. With Morphy's, time will tell. I just bought a gun at the auction, got a decent price, waiting for paperwork to clear. 

• Like 1

Dec 2 Rock Island auction  had a claimed NIB Saco-Maremont Std. M60 up and it went for $69,000 ( don't forget the buyer paid an extra 20%(7800.00) buyers premium.  Total cost to buyer was - please be seated-- $76,800.00

Most other NFA went for almost exactly what is listed on MG values. ( Again add the 20% to the sales price)

Edited by mstrmstr

M60s are through the roof right now price wise... I get frequent emails from people looking for Saco Defense / Maremont M60s .... they just don’t come up for sale as much as they used to...... people paying big for them. A guy on subguns listed one for $100,000. 

Fortunate to have gotten mine when I did ... I could not afford it in today’s market ... 

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa 

w3gIu3h.jpg

Edited by Aaron in Mohnton Pa
  • Like 1

from what I can see both the m-60's came from the same gent. the E-3 gun  sold for $73,000.00 . sounds like a lot and it is , BUT just wait a while .  Think about a MARMONT FACTORY BOXED E-3 and how many are actually in the system.   the early MAREMONT in this sale hammered at $50,000.it was NIB and came with both brl assembly. again that sounds like a lot but look at whats going on with ANY trans M-60 and how much they are bringing. it may not happen for me, but many of you out there will see M-60's sell for $100k AND MORE ! in 1963 my mint MG-42 cost me just under $60.00 sounds great right? The Corvette coup 365hp and air was close to $3k. which was the better investment? for use and enjoyment the 42 no question, but I'm not sure you could sell 10 42's and buy the vette as shipped