Are full auto Suomi M31s rare?

levallois

I'M NOT SURE HOW THAT HAPPENED,  but its a good thing to be sure. MUCH better looking , handling just downright pleasing well made piece , I guess if it uses pistol ammo its a legit "subgun" by the book, but I never quite understood that to be honest. SORRY to tell you but a NICE one is going to TOUGH ! PEOPLE FLAT REFUSE TO LET THEM GO ONCE THEY GET IT.  I also suggest you don't make the common mistake and "settle" for a 38/42 ! enough difference that one would notice.      wow, it's nice to run into someone that has thought things out a bit . GOOD JOB ! and GOOD LUCK!

Factory Finn M31s very scarce in NFRTR, with most being pre-May samples. I know of a half a dozen over many years, with four confirmed. Danish and Swedish Suomi pre-Mays also in the NFRTR with a few factory original transferables. As noted above RIA just sold a Finn M31 at auction with a hammer price of $19,550. That is a reduction in value form years back. 38a's fairly common and not overly popular so prices are not dreadful. FWIW

Edited by BRMCII

38-A's ARE fairly common , "not overly popular"?  post a decent one at top dollar and you best not be standing in the way or your likely to find your self crumpled up in some back alley with incomplete form 4's sticking in your ear .  its possibly the toughest "common" submachine gun to find in  "nice" original condition.  couple that with the fact that most in the know consider it to be one of the best if not THE best sub machine guns of WWII. ?  

My goodness, Mike, kinda jumpy aren't ya?. I especially like the "…most in the know…..". LOL. Yes, there is a good sampling of 38a's in the NFRTR compared to many other SMGs, but that doesn't mean that they are always available, in my experience. Lack of availability does not mean scarcity in the NFRTR. And, they have not really been that popular over long term compared to many other smg's, in my opinion and experience, but the prices tend to be comparatively affordable these days so there is more interest now than ever before. Many came into the country during the DEWAT retail years and I've reactivated several in the past year, not having done many for a long time, so that's a good sign. 

Edited by BRMCII

NOT BEING SNIPPY OR TRYING TO BE CUTE, just wanted it to be clear what I was addressing. you must remember old guys like me may not be quite up to snuff on computer etiquette and push the wrong key or such. most generally I come right out with my feelings and there will be no doubt about my point. I meant absolutely NOTHING negative and resent that you took it that way.  just to stress my point and make myself clear, I don't care for any full stocked pistol cal weapons for my own use .if someone else leans that way, they should consider all the options and HE brought the 38 up. I don't own one now and have never kept one long , but your post is the first time I have ever heard anyone say anything even slightly negative about the 38 series or I would not have responded at all.

RE the Beretta 38A and 38/44.

Have you guys ever shot one?  Certainly well built with a very smooth action, but I think they were made for left handed soldiers!

The ejection port throws gas in the face of a right-handed shooter. Try a 10 rd burst and see how you like it. Between the gas and the brass in your line of sight, not my favorite.

BPinFL

ACTUALLY I have fired them quite a bit. with your cheek welded to a stock most all of them will put gas in your face on a calm day but it is definitely worse than others.  like most full stocked pistol cal subs it was pretty much a non event other than rnds down range . I got started in NFA in 1959, by 61 I had  pretty much fired everything out there up to 40mm.  Rather than take cash for all my work in the basement, I could take inventory at cost and built a solid collection of my own that included everything INTERARMS imported including a 37mm PAK. when I turned 21 the transfer fee's to take it out of my dads name required a check close to $9k. Consequently I have had experience with all the older stuff .  MY main drive is HISTORY so the collection is tied very close to it thru VIETNAM. Because of that I missed a lot of the more modern designs like the Hk21, AUG etc. SO the past 5 yrs or so have been getting a few examples of those and attempting to learn what I can of those designs.