SPF: Transferable 8mm BESA Mk2 beltfed

Manny C

Don't miss this fully transferable BESA Mk2 removed from a British tank by Dolf Goldsmith in 1944 when he was a teenager. Dolf tells the story of this BESA in his 2006 Small Arms Review interview (http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=125). Frank Hatton tuned up this gun a few years ago and it runs great.

Almost identical to a Czech ZB37, the 8mm Mauser BESA has a pistol grip trigger instead of spades. Most ZB37 parts are interchangeable, including the spades (with minor mods). These guns have an unusual speed selector feature (500 or 800 RPM). Has a dovetail mount for a AA or Vickers indirect sight. Currently setup with ZB37 top cover and barrel, but I will also include the original BESA parts.

Includes a one of a kind adapter made by Charlie Erb for a Czech ZB37 ground mount.

Gun was cleanly saw cut towards the rear of the receiver and beautifully rewelded/registered by Charlie Erb (must be Craig Jordan's work). Weld seam is about 1/8" wide, straight, and perfect both inside and outside (see pics). Currently on a Form 4 in NM.

SPF: Price is $29,500 plus NFA transfer taxes. $9,500 starts paperwork.

Manny C in Albuquerque NM, 505-917-0812

THANKS FOR THIS GREAT BOARD!!!

IMG_20180924_202616420.jpg

IMG_20180924_202607711.jpg

IMG_20180924_202600581.jpg

IMG_20180924_202546719.jpg

Edited by Manny C

MANNY, the only problem with this gun is they just don't exist so few people have ever been around one! having owned more than 200 transferable MG's and USED most every thing out there the ZB37/BESA rates at the top for me. I own a STERILE CZECH original 37 and would not sell it for $125k  when I bring it out for one of our shoots, I cant keep folks off of it. BE PATIENT IT WILL GO, I am surprised its still avail.   mike  todd

On 10/2/2018 at 8:24 AM, mike todd said:

MANNY, the only problem with this gun is they just don't exist so few people have ever been around one! having owned more than 200 transferable MG's and USED most every thing out there the ZB37/BESA rates at the top for me. I own a STERILE CZECH original 37 and would not sell it for $125k  when I bring it out for one of our shoots, I cant keep folks off of it. BE PATIENT IT WILL GO, I am surprised its still avail.   mike  todd

Thanks for the post Mike. The workmanship on this gun is incredible.

MANNY, I'M not positive, but I believe the ZB37 SPADE ass will go right on this ? I  was told that the BESA and 37 RECEIVERS were the same. if so it would have more appeal to folks so you might check it out. if you don't have a set, I would be glad to loan you one for pics to add. I may even have some extras , if so I could part with one also. just need to check. when I fired the BESA it was best handled on the A/A adapter  cheers mike

On 10/4/2018 at 4:40 AM, mike todd said:

MANNY, I'M not positive, but I believe the ZB37 SPADE ass will go right on this ? I  was told that the BESA and 37 RECEIVERS were the same. if so it would have more appeal to folks so you might check it out. if you don't have a set, I would be glad to loan you one for pics to add. I may even have some extras , if so I could part with one also. just need to check. when I fired the BESA it was best handled on the A/A adapter  cheers mike

Mike, the receivers are the same and I have the spades also. Now this is how I remember M'gunners treating each other. Thanks for restoring my faith in this community.

Edited by Manny C

14 hours ago, browning1917a1 said:

What a great story.  I have an 08/15 Maxim drum holder/bracket that was Dolf's at one time and of course his books.  I have a ZB26 that I will be working on and wish I had this Besa to go with it.  I hope you find a good home for it.

Brian

Thanks Brian. Dolf knows that I have this gun. I'm surprised that he said he didn't know who owns it in the interview.

• 4 weeks later...