First Machine Gun advice, opinions please.

AlexUSMC0311

I have recently decided to acquire my first full auto and am completely new to the Class 3 "Process". I have decided I want something German, and was thinking about an MP-40 or an STG-44 or maybe an MG-42 if I could find one, but no one I have talked to has seen an MG-42 for sale since the 90s. My question is, are these weapons, being as old as they are and will only get older, will they hold up to time and are they worth the hassle of tracking down parts and ammo if I get an STG-44? I know that I will turn every head at the range regardless of if I get a WW2 weapon or a more modern HK fleming conversion. Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

for your first machine gun I'd rec' something more basic...say a $7,000 Mac (w a Lage upper) like a M11/9  or depending on your budget say a $12,000 Uzi or a $19,000 M16/AR15 or a $15,000 FNC.

I would def. NOT rec' jumping straight into a high end old collector beltfed like a MG42 which run $50,000 or so depending. Belftfeds are hard. If you feel the need for a beltfed then go with a 1919a4 for about $16,000 to learn the ropes.

I wouldnt go with a STG 44 for a first gun either. The main problem is that you are new to MGs and the most difficult purchase assessments are centered on the style guns you mention above---bc things like matching serial numbers etc mean huge FMV swings in price.

Instead just buy something more mainstream and not susceptible to you as a new buyer being screwed badly. Want to get screwed badly anyway? then buy a beltfed not knowing anything about beltfeds. Dont do it dude.

Mac, Uzi, FNC, M16, ....

oh and make sure you fully understand the amount of money you're looking at (and feeding the gun if you are a high volume shooter) and have a budget. Your budget will help you narrow down your first MG.

oh...if you are stuck on german...then get an MP5...whether it sear gun or a registered receiver depending on the type of collection you want to build.

EVERYONE loves shooting an MP5. Cant go wrong. Makes for an excellent 1st or 2cd MG although they are expensive as heck of course.

• Like 1

Parts and ammo for the STG is a pain which is why I haven't ever bought one. They also get hot very quickly and aren't overly great to shoot in the grand scheme of MG's. Ive worked on and shot a few of them over the years.

From you list I would get the MP40 in a heartbeat. The MG42 is cool I guess? Personally I think they are a hunk of crap. I've had to fix and rebuild more of those guns than just about anything else. They are pretty violent because of design and hard on parts. Bolt carriers fail regularly and you have to have a good aptitude for wanting to work on your own guns a lot.

MP40 you just load the mag with cheap 9mm and let it eat.
Mags are $100 a pop and most of the parts for them aren't overly cheap but there are plenty of parts out there or being remade now a days.

Of all the models you mentioned , I would agree with "Gunslinger" AND DO THE MP- 40. IT HAS THE HISTORY AND IS USER FIENDLY!  while I enjoy my mp 44, if it was all I had it would not last long. ammo is tough, parts INSANE and once its hot it stays there.   MG- 42?   last one at auction hammered at more than $79k . 

2 cents well spent ! the SWEDE K is right up there and were I an able bodied combatant it would be my first choice in a sub gun. in a "real world " recreational weapon the subgun is a logical first step but one if the hook takes one will start looking to get out of short pants sooner than you think and you will be back where you are now , pondering a belt fed.  most examples offered will be new mfg side plate examples and you will want it to be a proven functioning example b-4 you commit.  the exact system to choose is tough , with spare parts being equal etc. MY PERSONAL FAV ?  VICKERS next would be the Browning 17. the nature of the Water cooled guns calls for longer shooting sessions  due to the set up and liquid. the A4 Browning allows shorter sessions with ease , but who likes those?   when you consider the owner satisfaction , a great deal of it comes from just looking . imagine a water cooled belt fed under $20k THE TIME IS NOW.

• Like 1

You say you are new to Class 3, I hope you are aware of Knob Creek, just down the road from you.

Next month the semi-annual show and shoot is a great opportunity for you.

and another vote for the MP40. A classic German gun that is fun to shoot and parts/accessories are readily available.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, the MP43-STG44 and MG42 are "advanced collector" guns and don't necessarily make good 1st or only machineguns in a collection.  Most grow into guns like that where the complications of use and ownership are more -and- it's not their only choice to take to the range and shoot...after they have a few guns in their collection.

If it has to be German, but doesn't have to be WW2 vintage...then the MP5 would top my list.  Understand also since WW2 the Germans built other country's designs under license such as the Uzi.

If it has to be German and WW2 Vintage...then of the guns you list, the MP40 would by my choice.  Parts/support for the MP40 are not rare, but they are expensive.  The MP40 is one of the smoothest smgs you'll ever shoot, but the underfolding stock on most guns is rickety.  During WW2, the Germans built a version of the STEN (MP3008) as their own and adopted other country's smgs as their own as well...such as the Beretta 38/xx series.

HTH

• 9 months later...