Valmet m62 lanyard

BORE Shohola PA

good question ....... IIRC a lanyard was used during cold weather to help with mag changes and heavy mittens.

Years ago ...... I was told the troops didn't use " mag pouches " ...... just a General all purpose canvas carry all bag.

Which I suppose a lanyard would help ....... if mag dropped in heavy snow .

Never seen any photos of actual troop use of lanyards .......

now  for some photos and a pretty Cool Valmet video ........ link and English translation below photos ......

Valmet_in_Action_10.jpg

Valmet_FinnishTrooperB.jpg

Valmet_FinnishTrooperE.jpg

Valmet_FinnishTrooperI.jpg

10 minute Action Video .........   

If you like Valmets......you will LOVE this short Video....

VERY Close shots of the Valmet RK95 rifles...... 
watch the night sights get flipped up....and night scope use...... 
several Rifle grenades are fired......with BALL Ammo...NOT BLanks

Very Good action shots !!

Runs about 8 minutes.....high speed required.....

Who Invaded Finland ?

Read the English Translation Below....Before watching the Video

>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpgPOSg2wBo&NR

Here is a quick translation to english.....from Robie in Finland......

"Finnish" 
(fast translation) 
-----------------------------

"Heko edess;Tulta" 
(Helicopter ahead! Fire!)

"KK , asemaan" 
(MG into this firing position!)

"Jokela! Jokela, tuhoa tuo kk pes;" 
(Jokela! Jokela, destroy that MG nest)

"KK tukee, muut sy?en eteenp;! Ampukaa!" 
(MG covers, others advance! Fire!)

"Suojaa, vaihdan lippaan" 
(Cover me, I'm switching magazines)

"Heit" 
(I'm throwing!)

"Mutka oikealle" "Heit; 
(Right curve, I'm throwing)

"Harjanteen tasalle, Asemaan!" 
(To the ridge, Get in position!)

"KK pes!" 
(MG nest!)

"Tuhotkaa rakennuksessa oleva KK pes! Antakaa merkki kun voimme iikkeelle" 
(Destroy the MG nest in the building! Give us a sign when we can advance)

"Kukkonen ja Kytimitte ryhmvartiomiehin; Vartiopaikkanne on tuon kumpareen ; 
Vartiopaikalle siirrytte mets;oikeaa reunaa pitkin. Vastaatte siit;ttei vihollinen "

(Kukkonen and Kytu are squad guards. Your guard post is on top of that hill. 
You move to the guard post along the forest line to the right. You are responsible for keeping the enemy from surprising us...)

"Mikn patruunatilanne?" -Kaksi lipasta -Yksi lipas 
"Selvasatkaa" "Tuliasemanne ;tulialueen vasen raja , oikea raja kivi. Nime;maaston; vasemmalla 200. Keskell 150. Oikealla lato 300"

(What's the ammo situation? 
- two mags -one mag 
OK, even out 
This is your firing position, the field of fire left is that pine, right that stone. I'll designate the field; left ->pine 200m. Middle-> road 150m. Right-> barn 300m)

"Vihollisia. Ilmoita ainakin ryhm, verran vihollista suon takana..." 
(Enemy. Report at least a squad of enemy behind the swamp..."

"Jos liikutte peseen alueella erkittyj; eittej;tupakointi on ehdottomasti kielletty ja mink;laisia valoja ei saa ; "...Ryhm;verran vihollista tulossa suon takaa!" 
"Selv;tuleeko Harju? - tulee kohta.. 
"Selv;Heikkinen asemaan! Tie Huomio!"

(If you move in the area of our nest use marked routes, smoking is strictly forbidden and no lights may be used.) 
(...A squad of enemy advancing behind the swamp!) 
(OK, is Harju coming? 
- yes follows soon...) 
(OK, Heikkinen battle positions! Road Aim!)...which is repeated along the squad line prior to Fire! (done simultaneously by the squad leader firing a shot)

----- 
end text 
"You + Gun = Fighter" 
-----

>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpgPOSg2wBo&NR

• Like 1

WHAT IS THIS? the one time I was waiting and it never happened.  the lanyard is a loop of some ballistic material with a non metallic tab attached. it is fed through the ring on the bottom of the mag and then back through itself with the tab away from the mag at the limit.   service drill was mainly  along with gloves or those fat mittens they used to preserve their fingers during  that mild winter weather  they endured at times waiting and watching the Soviet hoard that bothered them once and a while.  I snatched 2 , tube 62's out of the first lot to hit the dock and took them home. in the PLAIN UNMARKED box were 3  30 round mags with a high quality blued finish, lanyard ring and those lanyard cords installed. THATS THE ONLY REASON I KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM ! never seen any since either. some of the mags had obvious light wear  so they may have been pulled from issued stock. as things progressed packaging  became more sophisticated . the boxes had labels etc  . not positive but I believe  2 mags came with the balance  didn't matter much  when the first 20 or so guns came in the only ammo was apprx 400 rnds of plain brown box issue LAPUA in strictly military packaging in that wonderful language nobody could read. it was strictly demo stuff, we could not sell it because it lacked the required "warnings" etc. maybe that will help with what you needed BORE?  cheers mike    ps maybe the troops did not use pouches or they decided to change, but later on we did get in several boxes of the same mags with the ring  only many were used (no lanyard) and they were ALL packed in heavy DUCK OD green celled pouces with a long adjustable strap. in the last couple years someone brought me 6 more current VALMET plastic mags and they still have a somewhat LARGE rectangular ring on the front .

Edited by mike todd
another thought

BUDDY, your first box is like the stuff we received in the first MAJOR ammo shipment, and for a while following until legit repack in the RED boxes started landing.  we also hand stamped the warning's in order to send it to our retail customers.  with my first ammo, the ONLY thing you could read was "LAPUA" it seems it was dated late 60's? its hard to believe but the  BEST wholesale price back then was more than $1.00 rnd! by the case. it was very hard to go shoot it until we started cutting down all the SHE ammo. and we still sold that for close to a buck , but it cost me a lot less