FOIA

AK545

Does anyone know if the ATF may allow me to file a FOIA request to get all the previous tax stamps for my machine gun? Or if I even need one? (I firmly assume that I do). 

I hadn't called them yet and thought some of you guys may know. 

The reasoning behind it, is I just thought it might be pretty cool to have the ownership history stamps to add to the 'collection'

Thanks 

1 hour ago, AK545 said:

Does anyone know if the ATF may allow me to file a FOIA request to get all the previous tax stamps for my machine gun? Or if I even need one? (I firmly assume that I do). 

I hadn't called them yet and thought some of you guys may know. 

The reasoning behind it, is I just thought it might be pretty cool to have the ownership history stamps to add to the 'collection'

Thanks 

A lot of the information will be redacted but I have done it for all my machine guns. It is pretty cool to see all the transfers that took place over the years. 

Here is the template I used: 

NAME
STREET ADRESS
CITY, STATE, ZIP
PHONE NUMBER

DATE

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
ATTN: Disclosure Division, Room 4E.301
99 New York Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20226

re: Information Request Pursuant to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)

Dear Sir or Madam:

I, NAME, residing at STREET ADRESS, CITY, STATE, ZIP, hereby request, pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act, that you provide me with all information and copies of all documents related to the firearm specified below, that is, on information and belief, a machine-gun registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record:

- MANUFACTURER, MODEL, SERIAL NUMBER

Specifically, I am seeking a copy of the original registration form (ATF Form 2 – Notice of Firearms Manufactured or Imported) showing the date of manufacture for the above referenced firearm.

I understand that certain personal information on records relating to the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record are exempt from disclosure under FOIA. To the extent possible, please provide me with copies of such records redacted to remove the exempt information.

I hereby agree to pay all search and duplication fees in the amount of up to AMOUNT. If you estimate fees will exceed this amount, please contact me. I am making this request as an individual seeking information for personal use and not for a commercial use, which I believe makes me an "all other requestor" for purposes of calculation of such fees.

I declare under penalty of perjury that I am NAME, that this letter is submitted on behalf of myself, and to the best of my knowledge that I am the current lawful owner of the machine-gun described above. I declare that the information set forth in this letter is true and correct and that I understand the penalties for requesting access to records under false pretenses.

Respectfully,

SIGNATURE

NAME

• Like 1

Oh wow, I did not expect this haha. Great, thank you so much for the template. 

I am sure it is interesting to get to see all that. 

What does a FOIA with the ATF like this usually cost? How much do you usually put for the amount you will pay up to?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, AK545 said:

Oh wow, I did not expect this haha. Great, thank you so much for the template. 

I am sure it is interesting to get to see all that. 

What does a FOIA with the ATF like this usually cost? How much do you usually put for the amount you will pay up to?

Thanks

No problem.

A lot of the information will be redacted (transferor, transferee, etc) but I think it is worth it, especially for Form 2s. 

I usually put $100 for the amount but, to be perfectly honest, I have never paid a single centavo for any of the requests I've submitted.