Madsen M50 buffer question.

n0mad

Hey guys,

I just picked up my first machine gun, a madsen m50, I've very pleased with my purchase and the gun runs fantastic. When I was taking it apart to clean it I noticed, that the recoil guide rod is missing the rubber bumper the back end. When I bought the gun, the seller had his own, and his was missing it as well. Is this something that just rots out over the 70+ years of the guns existence, or did not all of them have it? Does anyone make replacements? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm leaving this here incase anyone in the future finds this. I was able to source a new old stock guide rod assembly that does infact have the rubber pad on it. I'm going to cad one up and print some replacements out of flex filament.

Edited by n0mad

If you look at diagrams in the original manual and other material it does not show a "buffer" on the recoil spring guide.  But, it also does not show the round "buffer" or washer on the shaft of the guide. Having personally processed hundreds of Madsens into kits and preped them for sale the shape sizes, and material or presence of the "buffer" you sometimes find on the back of the guide is not proof to me that one was intended. Most buffers you see are rounded on the back which only serves to  spread the two half's, rather than the metal of the back plate being supported by the outside edge of the half's.   I still have the original washer type buffers tied by string with two rubber washers and the black metal washer that came with a pile of NOS Madsen parts from years ago.  Funny that these are also not shown in any manual I have checked.  All 1,100 Madsens we got back in the day were used, so can't say for certain what came with a new gun.   .   

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2018 at 9:54 AM, johnd.bush said:

If you look at diagrams in the original manual and other material it does not show a "buffer" on the recoil spring guide.  But, it also does not show the round "buffer" or washer on the shaft of the guide. Having personally processed hundreds of Madsens into kits and preped them for sale the shape sizes, and material or presence of the "buffer" you sometimes find on the back of the guide is not proof to me that one was intended. Most buffers you see are rounded on the back which only serves to  spread the two half's, rather than the metal of the back plate being supported by the outside edge of the half's.   I still have the original washer type buffers tied by string with two rubber washers and the black metal washer that came with a pile of NOS Madsen parts from years ago.  Funny that these are also not shown in any manual I have checked.  All 1,100 Madsens we got back in the day were used, so can't say for certain what came with a new gun.   .   

John

I'm so glad to hear your reply. I sourced some my replacements from you so I'm glad you responded. The recoil guide rod I received with the gun appears to me to have been damaged. I have two replacements to compare it to, One from you and one from numeric.

Here are a few pictures that show you what I'm talking about.

1. Comparing the damaged recoil assembly on the right (notice that the legs are spread out), vs the one from you, legs curved in.
I suspect that this is due to it slowly pounding the recoil assembly wider over time. Which I believe might eventually serve to spread out the rear receiver pieces.
https://imgur.com/f0MmCPE
Here you can see the recoil assembly you sent me with a rear buffer installed, Notice it's flat back edge, which is contrast the buffers you observed, which were round. This is one I made but mirrors the one I found in the recoil assembly I got from numerich. https://imgur.com/CyE51JT

Lastly here is a recoil assembly with both the washer type buffer you sent me, and the original buffer installed. When I ran the gun in this configuration a NOTICEABLE increase RPM occurred.
https://imgur.com/7tKcO06

It seems likely that based on the recoil guide rods I got from you and numeric that a buffer was original intended, I'm not clear on the rubber washer buffers, but maybe they were to be used in lue of the rear buffer rather than in addition too. When both were installed the RPM went up to 600, and the bolt would sometimes fail to engage the trigger sear.

In addition, I took some high speed, It seems to me like the buffers are basically Not really even needed... as the bolt never really comes close to impacting the rear of the weapon and bottoming out.  Which makes me wonder if the rubber washer were there to allow you to increase or decrease the rate of the weapon. Do you happen to know the source of the 1100 kits you sourced back in the day?

Here is some slow mo of the weapon in action... you can see the bolt doesn't come close to impacting the rear of the receiver.

https://imgur.com/vBbClEY

Edited by n0mad
Typos grammer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey n0mad,

No, this piece should be present and shooting the gun without this and the rubber washer buffers runs the risk of cracking the rear of the receiver. I've got the Factory complete assembly in stock as well as other spares for the Madsen 50 SMG.

You can contact me at backnospdoormercantile@gmail.com.

remove the nosp from the address.

Happy shooting!

BDMERC

• 1 year later...