SPF: Transferable Savage M1 Thompson (REDUCED, $18,750)

NavyEngineer

I am selling my transferable Savage M1 Thompson. The trigger frame was also built by Savage, but the serial number does not match.  The rear sight retains a blued finish, but I can include a parkerized Lyman fixed sight (without ears) for the buyer, if desired. The USGI markings (FJA, Ordnance Wheel, GEG stamps, and proofmarks) are all visible. It has an M1 bolt and functions perfectly. It is on a Form 4 in Maine. Asking $18,750 for the gun and 2 magazines, shipped to your dealer.  I can accept checks or money orders - will start the paperwork once funds clear.  I am happy to send additional photos. Prospective buyers are welcome to inspect it in person.  You can view my posts and feedback (which goes back over 10 years and is all positive) using the same username (NavyEngineer) on several shooting forums (I'd be happy to PM or e-mail you links to my feedback).  I can be reached via PM or at NavyEngineer1@gmail.com Thanks for looking!

Video with livefire:

https://vimeo.com/282937767

Full size photos of several of the images below can be viewed using this link:

https://ibb.co/album/gRs4ov

P_20180731_122232 T6.jpg

P_20180731_171736 T7.jpg

P_20180731_171806 T3.jpg

P_20180731_171819 T8.jpg

P_20180731_171839 T4.jpg

P_20180731_172003 T1.jpg

P_20180731_172040 T5.jpg

P_20180731_172349 T2.jpg

P_20180731_122207.jpg

P_20180731_122354.jpg

Edited by NavyEngineer
Sold Pending Funds

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Got Uzi said:

That is a good price. Wish I was in a better position to buy your gun. The Colt Digger I bought a couple weeks ago is going to tie up my funds for awhile

Thanks.  I tried to price it fairly, lower than some West Hurley guns that recently sold.  Enjoy your Digger, another classic gun.

1 hour ago, bigbore said:

Free bump! If this was on a Form 3, I would buy it!

I think transfers to dealers are going pretty quickly.  When I bought it, I had it transferred to a nearby dealer with a range, and was able to shoot it on that range while waiting for the transfer to me.

33 minutes ago, NavyEngineer said:

I think transfers to dealers are going pretty quickly.  When I bought it, I had it transferred to a nearby dealer with a range, and was able to shoot it on that range while waiting for the transfer to me.

Form 4s to dealers are taking 3 months. Form 3s to dealers take 3 days.  With yours selling this cheap, I'll never move the West Hurley I have listed!

Edited by bigbore

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Got Uzi said:

Damn you are making it hard to not figure out a way to latch onto this.....great looking gun and great price

Thanks.  I'm kind of surprised no one has taken it yet.  I think I have it priced very fairly - most sellers are seeking as much or more for West Hurley guns, and a lot more for USGI guns!

Greetings,

Nice looking Thompson. I really don't know a whole lot about Thompsons other than to stay away from the WH guns..LOL. What can you tell me about this particular gun? It looks really clean. I assume it is not the original finish? Do you have any idea as to the year of manufacture? Anything you can tell me about the gun would help. Does the gun work reliably in both semi and full auto. How would rate the bore?  I appreciate your time.

Jay

Edited by Jayman

8 hours ago, Jayman said:

Greetings,

Nice looking Thompson. I really don't know a whole lot about Thompsons other than to stay away from the WH guns..LOL. What can you tell me about this particular gun? It looks really clean. I assume it is not the original finish? Do you have any idea as to the year of manufacture? Anything you can tell me about the gun would help. Does the gun work reliably in both semi and full auto. How would rate the bore?  I appreciate your time.

Jay

Hi Jay,  I wouldn't necessarily avoid WH guns if you want a cheaper shooter - I would just ensure it didn't have any issues before buying.  My Thompson does not have the original finish - it was parkerized at some point.  Based on the appearance of the parkerizing, I think it was done quite awhile ago.  I would guess that it was overhauled by the government, since the serial number on the grip frame doesn't match that of the receiver.  The parts are all interchangeable, so the government simply replaced worn parts (such as barrels) and parkerized damaged bluing without concern for keeping original parts together.  I retired from the military and served in Afghanistan, and can assure you this still happens with military weapons today.  Savage started building M1 Thompsons in July 1942.  Based on the serial number (234,580), I would guess it was built in early 1943.  It works reliably in both semi and full auto, although most of the rounds I've fired through it have been in full auto mode.  I have only fired 230 grain round nose bullets through it, which is what it was designed to use.   The bore is in very good condition (bright, with strong lands and no signs of pitting).  The .45 ACP ball ammo used by the military in WWII had corrosive primers, so I would guess the barrel was replaced during a rebuild.  I attached a photo of the target I used in the testfire video.  The target was about 15 yards away, and only received fire from the one magazine used in the video.  As you can see, it's pretty controllable and reasonably accurate when short bursts are fired.  If you look at the internals, there isn't much apparent wear.  I don't think it's been heavily used since it was rebuilt.  It retains the original M1 (not M1A1) receiver markings and M1 bolt.  Overall, it's just a nice, typical shooter grade former WWII U.S. military issue Thompson.  The market's pretty soft now, or I think it would have sold weeks ago.  However, it is a classic historic firearm that is a lot of fun to shoot!  I hope this helps.

M1 Savage Thompson Target, AUG 2018.jpg