Question about reg. sear converted MP5

BDMERC

I've always dealt with push pin versions / conversions of the HK roller lock series gun, mainly because pre-samples are available and affordable, and push pin conversions are the closest to "the real thing". Parts interchangeability is also an advantage. Since I recently bought my first registered trigger pack, I was curios about the durability of the design.

Not that I would ever need to test it, but was curious if the front of a registered trigger pack could ever become worn or damaged to the point of rendering the gun unreliable? If enough opposing forces were applied, could the front of the trigger pack be deformed or even fail? If Bruce Willis had tied the sling to the trigger guard in "Die Hard", would he have fallen down the elevator shaft?

All kidding aside, has anyone ever reported a problem?

I am certain that HK Engineers retained the front pushpin in the design for a reason.

2 hours ago, eMGunslinger said:

I don’t think you could ever wear one out or not that I’ve ever seen. Even if something did break it’s nothing some 4130 rod wouldn’t fix.

My thoughts also. Ive seen HK's shot so much new barrels had to be installed, new rollers, bolts etc.... But never a front shelf issue. Its welded onto the receiver. But I guess its possible, very, very slim chance though.

The pushpin design is cheaper to make, less structurally sound, but does make HK version of the paddle mag release incorporated into the pin hole, which had been the big bonus before other paddle release designs were out.  

If you've ever clipped and pinned a housing, there is not that much material there in the PP area vs. the large slot of the shelf.   All of this aside,  on a push pin design all that holds the registered pack in is the selector axle and friction.  Tying a rope to the trigger guard and  dropping down a shaft likely results in death, since I don't think the steel or plastic on a picto housing would hold...…..me at least! 

I have a bunch of HK stuff and see no upside to PP conversions at all.  Modification of packs to friction sears is rather easy on most packs.   Note that the strongest of the series, 21E's have a shelf, course there is no need for a paddle mag release.   

So your opinion is that the front push pin design is less durable than a false push pin, clip on lower? Seems like HK would have moved away from push pins if that were the case. But since they have gone to "plastic" guns like the UMP and G36, I guess strength and durability of design is no longer a priority.

I agree that if I were hanging from a sling in an elevator shaft, I would be tied to a MP5! Maybe a Thompson or a BAR, but not a MP5 regardless of trigger pack set up! Gotta love Hollywood! NOT!

I was not present at the post war research dept when the original design was finalized, but believe the "push pin" to be nothing more than it actually is. a simple solution to a mechanical challenge. however I WAS fortunate to be active when this stuff was ignored by many and did use a lot of it to almost total destruction. my first converted HK 91 was fired so much that at the end of the carrier travel as it changed direction  the front wore through the top of the receiver, the barrel was a smooth bore and it never skipped a beat. the other weak spot was the opening of the mag well became distorted from the rocking magazines. the converted 75 rnd trommel mag didn't help either.  I used a dolly and body hammer to put it back in place. not one single part was ever replaced in that gun and it is was still active on the line until my friend passed away last feb. so I wouldn't worry about any wear on the shelf in question.