Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
terma-nator

Form 4 approved but not arrived. When to ship gun?

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I sold an SBR to someone out of state. Since it must go to a dealer first, the transfer is to his dealer.

The dealer sent me an email saying that it was approved at the end of March, but I still haven't received the two forms (it was for an SBR and silencer).

I don't know if the atf sends the forms together, or separately, but neither have arrived.

The dealer is insisting that I send the guns, but I don't know if that's legal since I have no proof of transfer approval.

If the forms were lost in the mail, do I need a certified copy of the forms with stamps from the BATF before I can ship?

What should I do, and is it legal for me to send them if they were indeed approved and just the mail is slow to get here?

Edited by terma-nator

Sir, 

Clarification  please.  Did the dealer  send  copy of approval to you ? If not then why?

Respectfully, 

The Born Loser in Montana 

The dealer told me they called NFA and was told that the forms were approved. I have not received anything from NFA.

I sure wouldn't send any NFA until I got a printable approved signature.

3 hours ago, BDMERC said:

I sure wouldn't send any NFA until I got a printable approved signature.

I agree,  

This doesn't  smell  right.

Ask for a copy ? As Buddy would  say" with your id attached ".

Remember there is no hurry when it  comes to  NFA  everyone knows that!

ALL OF THE ABOVE !!!  don't ship anything until you have an approved transfer IN HAND!   best to call the ATF and check by serial number. if advised they were approved , ASK WHEN then you will know what to do.   lately my forms have arrived at least 3 weeks after the date they were signed.  let his dealer rant , its your ride if you get it wrong. cheers mike

I only accept postal money orders. contact me DIRECTLY before sending any funds                                           email  myoldiron@outlook.com        

I spoke with BATF and they just told me to ship it since it was approved. They said that I didn't need to have the forms in hand to send the gun. I should have just called them in the first place.

thanks for all who tried to help.

STRANGE ??  I would act and protect myself EXACTLY like the folks at the ATF. NO PHONE CONVERSATTION, but something in HARD COPY. I do know things are changing however. MY crook brother had an M-16 in his shop and had sold it with a new form 4 filled out on file to his customer and the transfer to his inventory was still pending. an agent found it, left it and expedited the transfer in less than a week rather than find him at fault. 

I only accept postal money orders. contact me DIRECTLY before sending any funds                                           email  myoldiron@outlook.com