• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Country

    United States

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About Gunsmith86

  • Rank

Personal Information

  • City and State Franklinton, LA
  1. Removing AOW from registry

    You could offer it for sale first, and give the buyer the option. If they don't want to receive it as an AOW, then transfer it as a Title I firearm and send NFA Branch a letter after the sale. Yes you can interchange status if it remains yours.
  2. Looking for 07/02 to Convert AR15 to M16 Lower (Post-86)

    I agree, but they already registered it. That's the only way to accomplish it without starting over. That's what I was trying to explain. I'm sure there are FFLs who wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole. Perhaps they'd do better asking ATF to cancel the F10? Not sure if they'll cancel it.
  3. I don't believe that's how it works. If an individual who already owned NFA firearms (transferred to him on Form 4) became a FFL/SOT (as a sole proprietor), nothing has to be done to transfer them to the business. He is the business. If he sells one to another SOT, it now transfers on Form 3. I believe that's what johnsonlmg41 was talking about. There is no Form 3 until he transfers it to another SOT. Now if that same individual instead had a LLC, and the NFA firearms were all registered to the LLC (on Form 4), then he applied for and received a FFL/SOT in the name of the LLC, the scenario would be the same as above. In both cases, they're already owned by the entity which becomes the FFL/SOT, therefore no transfer has occurred. But I don't think it's possible to have NFA on a Form 4 in your name (as an individual) then form a new LLC, apply for and receive FFL/SOT in the name of the LLC, and then transfer tax-exempt from you (as an individual) to your newly licensed LLC. You'd have to pay the $200 tax for each firearm transferred from you to your LLC. That's why it isn't technically correct to say any NFA firearm is "on" a form. The tax-exemption of any NFA transfer depends on 3 things: status of the firearm (unserviceable/DEWAT, post-86 MG, etc.) status of the transferor status of the transferee Another tax-exempt example would be a government agency acquisition. Everyone knows LE can buy from FFLs, but they can also buy a privately-held (on Form 4) NFA firearm from out-of-state. The private unlicensed owner would transfer the NFA firearm to the agency on Form 5 (tax-exempt), even though it came to that seller "on" a tax-paid Form 4.
  4. Looking for 07/02 to Convert AR15 to M16 Lower (Post-86)

    It would've been more appropriate for the agency to register them on Form 1 (tax-exempt). Any FFL can log them in for gunsmithing. They do not have to hold a SOT. If I was starting this project from scratch, I'd have used BCI Defense SQS-15 or Black Creek Precision F15 stripped lowers, since they require the least work. Depending on the quotes you get, it may be cheaper for them to start over. One of the agency employees could push the handle on someone else's drill press. Wouldn't even need a FFL then.